fldigi remote daemon

  • vu2fly
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
      MS Windows rig control program HRD (Ham Radio Deluxe) can be used for
      remote control of a rig connected to a remote computer running HRD in
      'daemon' mode and connecting to that (remote HRD 'daemon') from a
      local computer running HRD.

      Is it possible to do something like this using fldigi (I am trying to
      control my VU2LID station from US) ?

      73 de salim vu2lid / n8li
    • vu2fly
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
        Adding to my post:

        If fldigi doesn't already have this, a nice way to add the remote
        daemon capability will be to use an existing external GPL program
        like ser2net running on the remote computer.

        Adding an additional interfacing option to existing serial port CAT
        control (connecting to the remote TCP port controlled by ser2net)
        will probably take care of this (guessing here - I have not gone
        through the fldigi code).

        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "vu2fly" <vu2lid@...> wrote:

        > MS Windows rig control program HRD (Ham Radio Deluxe) can be used
        for
        > remote control of a rig connected to a remote computer running HRD
        in
        > 'daemon' mode and connecting to that (remote HRD 'daemon') from a
        > local computer running HRD.
        >
        > Is it possible to do something like this using fldigi (I am trying
        > control my VU2LID station from US) ?
        >
        > 73 de salim vu2lid / n8li

      • Stelios Bounanos
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
          Hello Salim,

          > Adding to my post:
          > If fldigi doesn't already have this, a nice way to add the remote
          > daemon capability will be to use an existing external GPL program
          > like ser2net running on the remote computer.

          > Adding an additional interfacing option to existing serial port CAT
          > control (connecting to the remote TCP port controlled by ser2net)
          > will probably take care of this (guessing here - I have not gone
          > through the fldigi code).

          [snip]

          Fldigi supports hamlib, which already has network support.

          To use it, run rpc.rigd on the remote machine with the appropriate
          command line switches to set the rig model, serial device etc. On the
          local machine, select the HamlibRPC rig model in fldigi and set the
          remote machine's address as the port. You should use some kind of VPN
          to tunnel RPC traffic securely over the Internet.

          Another option would be to ssh into the remote machine and use rigctl
          from the command line, which is trivial to set up but more work to use.
          It's the other way around for the RPC method.

          73,
          Stelios, M0GLD.
        • Stelios Bounanos
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008

            >> Adding to my post:
            >> If fldigi doesn't already have this, a nice way to add the remote
            >> daemon capability will be to use an existing external GPL program
            >> like ser2net running on the remote computer.

            >> Adding an additional interfacing option to existing serial port CAT
            >> control (connecting to the remote TCP port controlled by ser2net)
            >> will probably take care of this (guessing here - I have not gone
            >> through the fldigi code).

            > [snip]

            > Fldigi supports hamlib, which already has network support.

            > To use it, run rpc.rigd on the remote machine with the appropriate
            > command line switches to set the rig model, serial device etc. On the
            > local machine, select the HamlibRPC rig model in fldigi and set the
            > remote machine's address as the port. You should use some kind of VPN
            > to tunnel RPC traffic securely over the Internet.

            > Another option would be to ssh into the remote machine and use rigctl
            > from the command line, which is trivial to set up but more work to use.
            > It's the other way around for the RPC method.

            I should have mentioned that there are examples of how to use rpc.rigd
            and rigctl in the hamlib FAQ:

            http://hamlib.sourceforge.net/faq.html

            And if you also wanted to stream audio over the net, you might be able
            to do this with fldigi's PulseAudio backend. You can set the remote
            Pulse server address in the text field next to the PulseAudio toggle in
            fldigi's sound settings. Google "pulseaudio over the network" for some
            general setup hints.

            I would only try to do this over a fast, low latency link to the remote
            PulseAudio server. I suppose that's not the kind of link you're likely
            to have from the US to VU-land, but it may still be usable for
            monitoring.

            73,
            Stelios, M0GLD.
          • vu2fly
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
              Hi Stelios !
              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Stelios Bounanos <lham@...> wrote:

              > > Adding to my post:
              > > If fldigi doesn't already have this, a nice way to add the remote
              > > daemon capability will be to use an existing external GPL program
              > > like ser2net running on the remote computer.
              >
              > > Adding an additional interfacing option to existing serial port
              CAT
              > > control (connecting to the remote TCP port controlled by ser2net)
              > > will probably take care of this (guessing here - I have not gone
              > > through the fldigi code).
              >
              > [snip]
              >
              > Fldigi supports hamlib, which already has network support.
              >
              > To use it, run rpc.rigd on the remote machine with the appropriate
              > command line switches to set the rig model, serial device etc. On
              the
              > local machine, select the HamlibRPC rig model in fldigi and set the
              > remote machine's address as the port. You should use some kind of
              VPN
              > to tunnel RPC traffic securely over the Internet.
              >
              > Another option would be to ssh into the remote machine and use
              rigctl
              > from the command line, which is trivial to set up but more work to
              use.
              > It's the other way around for the RPC method.

              Thanks for the hints.

              Unfortunately last time I tried hamlib (nov/dec 2007) it did not work
              for my rig (Kenwood TS-50). I tried debugging to trace the problem a
              bit, but was not successful (due to various reasons - rig is located
              in India/VU2LID etc.) at that time.

              I thought that I will probably have better luck with fldigi's own rig
              control interface (Which I think can work without the help of hamlib
              - AFAIK). For testing I tried HRD running on VMware inside the remote
              Linux machine - this worked 100%.

              73 de salim vu2lid / n8li

              > 73,
              > Stelios, M0GLD.

            • vu2fly
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008

                > >> Adding to my post:
                > >> If fldigi doesn't already have this, a nice way to add the
                remote
                > >> daemon capability will be to use an existing external GPL
                program
                > >> like ser2net running on the remote computer.
                >
                > >> Adding an additional interfacing option to existing serial port
                CAT
                > >> control (connecting to the remote TCP port controlled by
                ser2net)
                > >> will probably take care of this (guessing here - I have not gone
                > >> through the fldigi code).
                >
                > > [snip]
                >
                > > Fldigi supports hamlib, which already has network support.
                >
                > > To use it, run rpc.rigd on the remote machine with the appropriate
                > > command line switches to set the rig model, serial device etc.
                On the
                > > local machine, select the HamlibRPC rig model in fldigi and set
                the
                > > remote machine's address as the port. You should use some kind
                of VPN
                > > to tunnel RPC traffic securely over the Internet.
                >
                > > Another option would be to ssh into the remote machine and use
                rigctl
                > > from the command line, which is trivial to set up but more work
                to use.
                > > It's the other way around for the RPC method.
                >
                > I should have mentioned that there are examples of how to use
                rpc.rigd
                > and rigctl in the hamlib FAQ:
                >
                > http://hamlib.sourceforge.net/faq.html
                >

                > And if you also wanted to stream audio over the net, you might be
                able
                > to do this with fldigi's PulseAudio backend. You can set the remote
                > Pulse server address in the text field next to the PulseAudio
                toggle in
                > fldigi's sound settings. Google "pulseaudio over the network" for
                some
                > general setup hints.
                >
                > I would only try to do this over a fast, low latency link to the
                remote
                > PulseAudio server. I suppose that's not the kind of link you're
                likely
                > to have from the US to VU-land, but it may still be usable for
                > monitoring.

                I have not yet tried PulseAudio - will try that.

                Last time I was using the Linux VOIP program IHU (http://
                packages.debian.org/sid/ihu) - this worked really well (it worked so
                well that I was able to copy some stations throgh the link which some
                local stations in India/VU were unable to copy !).

                73 de salim vu2lid / n8li

                > 73,
                > Stelios, M0GLD.

              • Stelios Bounanos
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008

                  [snip]

                  > I have not yet tried PulseAudio - will try that.

                  > Last time I was using the Linux VOIP program IHU (http://
                  > packages.debian.org/sid/ihu) - this worked really well (it worked so
                  > well that I was able to copy some stations throgh the link which some
                  > local stations in India/VU were unable to copy !).

                  I installed the Debian package for ihu to check it out. It looks like a
                  well thought out application. With the demise of Speak Freely, it must
                  be one of the few direct VOIP apps left. This is a useful feature in
                  itself, as SIP can be a pain to get through some NAT routers.

                  I noticed that it uses Speex compression, which is lossy and optimised
                  for speech, and therefore probably not so good for digital modes signals
                  (it should work well for voice signals, though). There doesn't seem to
                  be any way to disable Speex.

                  If ihu had a JACK output you could connect it directly to fldigi. It
                  might still be possible to redirect its ALSA output to JACK with an ALSA
                  plugin.

                  73,
                  Stelios, M0GLD.
                • Stelios Bounanos
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
                    Hi Salim,

                    > Unfortunately last time I tried hamlib (nov/dec 2007) it did not work
                    > for my rig (Kenwood TS-50). I tried debugging to trace the problem a
                    > bit, but was not successful (due to various reasons - rig is located
                    > in India/VU2LID etc.) at that time.

                    The current release of hamlib (1.2.7.1) supports the Kenwood TS-50S. Is
                    this the rig model that you tried to use with your TS-50 back in Dec?

                    > I thought that I will probably have better luck with fldigi's own rig
                    > control interface (Which I think can work without the help of hamlib
                    > - AFAIK). For testing I tried HRD running on VMware inside the remote
                    > Linux machine - this worked 100%.

                    You are correct that fldigi's rigCAT doesn't rely on hamlib.

                    I think the most productive thing to do would be to get hamlib to play
                    well with the TS-50, either by writing a new rig model or extending the
                    TS-50S. Then you'd be able to use all programs that support hamlib.

                    And IIRC HRD can export its rig control definition to a text file.

                    73,
                    Stelios, M0GLD.
                  • vu2fly
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008

                      > [snip]
                      >
                      > > I have not yet tried PulseAudio - will try that.
                      >
                      > > Last time I was using the Linux VOIP program IHU (http://
                      > > packages.debian.org/sid/ihu) - this worked really well (it worked
                      so
                      > > well that I was able to copy some stations throgh the link which
                      some
                      > > local stations in India/VU were unable to copy !).
                      >
                      > I installed the Debian package for ihu to check it out. It looks
                      like a
                      > well thought out application. With the demise of Speak Freely, it
                      must
                      > be one of the few direct VOIP apps left. This is a useful feature
                      in
                      > itself, as SIP can be a pain to get through some NAT routers.
                      >
                      > I noticed that it uses Speex compression, which is lossy and
                      optimised
                      > for speech, and therefore probably not so good for digital modes
                      signals
                      > (it should work well for voice signals, though). There doesn't
                      seem to
                      > be any way to disable Speex.
                      >
                      > If ihu had a JACK output you could connect it directly to fldigi. It
                      > might still be possible to redirect its ALSA output to JACK with an
                      ALSA
                      > plugin.

                      One of the reasons for using IHU was that it works well from
                      commandline, once the system has a proper config file - good for
                      automatically starting a dedicated audio link.

                      After going through experinces of some other hams trying to work
                      digital modes through VOIP links from a remote station - I also get
                      the impression that it will be difficult due to errors. This is
                      probably one of the reasons why it will be good to be able to operate
                      fldigi without the gui (at the remote computer) and connect to it.
                      Surprisingly I was able to copy PSK31 stations well through WebSDR
                      (http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/).

                      I discovered fldigi only recetly - I have not yet tried it with IHU.

                      73 de salim vu2lid / n8li

                      > 73,
                      > Stelios, M0GLD.

                    • vu2fly
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008

                        > > Unfortunately last time I tried hamlib (nov/dec 2007) it did not
                        work
                        > > for my rig (Kenwood TS-50). I tried debugging to trace the
                        problem a
                        > > bit, but was not successful (due to various reasons - rig is
                        located
                        > > in India/VU2LID etc.) at that time.
                        >
                        > The current release of hamlib (1.2.7.1) supports the Kenwood TS-
                        50S. Is
                        > this the rig model that you tried to use with your TS-50 back in
                        Dec?

                        The release of hamlib that I tried (Nov/Dec 2007) also said that it
                        supports TS-50/TS-50S - but it was untested (according to the hamlib
                        web page it is untested even now). Yes this was the rig model that I
                        tried with rigctrl.

                        > > I thought that I will probably have better luck with fldigi's own
                        rig
                        > > control interface (Which I think can work without the help of
                        hamlib
                        > > - AFAIK). For testing I tried HRD running on VMware inside the
                        remote
                        > > Linux machine - this worked 100%.
                        >
                        > You are correct that fldigi's rigCAT doesn't rely on hamlib.
                        >
                        > I think the most productive thing to do would be to get hamlib to
                        play
                        > well with the TS-50, either by writing a new rig model or extending
                        the
                        > TS-50S. Then you'd be able to use all programs that support hamlib.
                        >
                        > And IIRC HRD can export its rig control definition to a text file.

                        Thanks !I will try this. I did copy some of the configuration
                        parameters from the working HRD setup while briefly trying to debug
                        without luck.

                        73 de salim vu2lid / n8li