Interfacing with fldigi and a couple of future enhancement requests

  • g7iii
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2008
      Hey Folks,

      I see a number of utilities interfacing with fldigi (pskmail, flarg,
      fllog, psykviewer, pskscope etc). Some use fldigi just as a pure
      MODEM. How do they all do this ? Is there an API Somewhere ? I
      couldn't find anything

      I'm kind of half thinking about writing a couple of "add-ons" myself -
      propnet comes to mind, along with maybe some PSK APRS related extras.

      I've tried to look thru sources (esp pskmail), but I must be missing
      the interfacing code. Also Googled for "interfacing with fldigi", but
      that came up with mainly interfacing fldigi with hamlib!

      Thanks in Advance for any hints

      Iain

      PS, A couple of things I'd love to see in the next version of fldigi,
      for when the developers get the coding bug again (Since I know they
      are taking a well deserved break right now)

      a) BPS 400 support (Both FEC and non FEC), for the future HEO birds
      (P3E, Eagle, etc. KA9Q did a prototype encoder/decoder iirc

      b) Jack (http://www.jackaudio.org) support.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2008
        g7iii wrote:
        > Hey Folks,
        >
        > I see a number of utilities interfacing with fldigi (pskmail, flarg,
        > fllog, psykviewer, pskscope etc). Some use fldigi just as a pure
        > MODEM. How do they all do this ? Is there an API Somewhere ? I
        > couldn't find anything

        The next version of fldigi will have an ircxml interface that will make
        your work much easier.
        > Iain
        >
        > PS, A couple of things I'd love to see in the next version of fldigi,
        > for when the developers get the coding bug again (Since I know they
        > are taking a well deserved break right now)

        I wish that were true, but the development team has been burning the
        midnight oil for the past 6 months. So many changes that the next
        version will be posted as 3.0
        > a) BPS 400 support (Both FEC and non FEC), for the future HEO birds
        > (P3E, Eagle, etc. KA9Q did a prototype encoder/decoder iirc

        Will take a look at it.
        > b) Jack (http://www.jackaudio.org) support.

        In the next version along with PulseAudio added to OSS and PortAudio
        sound i/o.

        Dave, W1HKJ
      • Stelios Bounanos
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2008
          Hi Iain,

          > Hey Folks,
          > I see a number of utilities interfacing with fldigi (pskmail, flarg,
          > fllog, psykviewer, pskscope etc). Some use fldigi just as a pure
          > MODEM. How do they all do this ? Is there an API Somewhere ? I
          > couldn't find anything

          Fldigi has an IPC interface that is used by flarq and pskmail on Linux.
          The Other Platform uses file-based I/O rather than POSIX message queues.

          The next version will have two additional interfaces:

          1) An EXEC macro that runs external programs. Information is passed to
          those programs safely via environment variables. At the moment we pass
          all the log fields text, as well as the operator's callsign, name and
          locator, rig dial frequency and modem name and audio frequency.

          Fldigi can wait for the process to finish and then enter its output
          into the transmit text buffer. It can also parse that output for more
          macros.

          So not really an interface, but it may be all you need for custom
          logging or sending data to DX clusters etc; amazing what you can do
          with a Perl script these days ;-) The downside is that macros
          must be triggered manually, though the psk viewer could be made to
          call some macro automatically when the search string is found.

          2) A simple XML-RPC interface. When activated, fldigi starts an embedded
          http server and listens for requests on the loopback interface (it can
          also be told to sit on an interface with a routable IP address so that
          it can be accessed across the net). Concurrent connections are allowed,
          though requests are really only served one at a time.

          Fldigi remains responsive to mouse/keyboard events or, put another way,
          you still need an X server connection. (A "fake" X server such as xvfb
          can be used to alleviate that).

          The interface itself is not set in stone right now, but it will be
          able to do at least the following:

          * Fetch all the log field contents
          * Get/set/toggle the afc, sql, rev etc. controls and levels
          * Get/set frequency, modem audio carrier, active modem
          * Transmit/receive/tune
          * Return some modem signal quality indicators
          * Retrieve text from the RX text widget, add text to the TX widget

          HTTP/XML-RPC clients can be written in just about any language. I have
          been writing an "fldigi-shell" control script in Perl that may be in
          good enough shape for general use by the time 3.0 is relased...

          > I'm kind of half thinking about writing a couple of "add-ons" myself -
          > propnet comes to mind, along with maybe some PSK APRS related extras.

          If there is some facility that you'd like to see in the EXEC mechanism
          or XML-RPC interface, please let me know and I'll try to implement it.

          > I've tried to look thru sources (esp pskmail), but I must be missing
          > the interfacing code. Also Googled for "interfacing with fldigi", but
          > that came up with mainly interfacing fldigi with hamlib!

          Yes, this is all the interfacing documentation that exists atm.

          > Thanks in Advance for any hints

          > Iain

          > PS, A couple of things I'd love to see in the next version of fldigi,
          > for when the developers get the coding bug again (Since I know they
          > are taking a well deserved break right now)

          A what? :-)

          > a) BPS 400 support (Both FEC and non FEC), for the future HEO birds
          > (P3E, Eagle, etc. KA9Q did a prototype encoder/decoder iirc

          > b) Jack (http://www.jackaudio.org) support.

          Fldigi 2.x already supports JACK via the PortAudio backend. I have used
          it with various JACK applications, including a couple of SDR programs
          with a softrock RXTXv6.1 kit that I built last year. JACK audio I/O
          works but can be a little flaky, especially with a slow CPU or really
          bad sound cards.

          73,
          Stelios, M0GLD.