FLDIGI Waterfall & ICOM default C-IV Address question

  • Gary Mackey
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 7, 2008
      Hi All -

      Can someone please tell me the what the default C-IV address is for
      ICOM radio's in hamlib, or if there is a place in FLDIGI I can specify
      the C-IV address? I've configured my serial port, speed, but can't
      seem to get FLDIGI talking to the radio.

      I'm also have a strange problem with the waterfall display. It's black
      with no signals displayed. However, if I bring up the PSK Viewer I'm
      able to see QSO's in it just fine. I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 and my
      rigs an ICOM-746 if that matters. I had this problem with the
      executable version so I complied FLDIGI from source and experiencing
      the same thing.

      Thanks

      73,
      ...Gary,K8EHB
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8, 2008
        Gary Mackey wrote:
        > Hi All -
        >
        > Can someone please tell me the what the default C-IV address is for
        > ICOM radio's in hamlib, or if there is a place in FLDIGI I can specify
        > the C-IV address? I've configured my serial port, speed, but can't
        > seem to get FLDIGI talking to the radio.

        Did you check the "use hamlib" box, then click the "initialize" button
        and finally the "save config" button. The CI-V address is a fixed value
        in hamlib. You might want to consider using Rigcat instead.

        > I'm also have a strange problem with the waterfall display. It's black
        > with no signals displayed. However, if I bring up the PSK Viewer I'm
        > able to see QSO's in it just fine. I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 and my
        > rigs an ICOM-746 if that matters. I had this problem with the
        > executable version so I complied FLDIGI from source and experiencing
        > the same thing.

        Did you set the levels in the 2 boxes in the bottom row. Try adjusting
        them to -15 and 50 and see if that doesn't work. For reference, mine are
        set at 0 and 70.

        > Thanks
        >
        > 73,
        > ...Gary,K8EHB

        Ed W3NR
      • Gary Mackey
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 17, 2008
          Hi Ed

          On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 6:18 AM, Ed <autek@...> wrote:

          > Did you check the "use hamlib" box, then click the "initialize" button
          > and finally the "save config" button. The CI-V address is a fixed value
          > in hamlib. You might want to consider using Rigcat instead.

          I ended up swapping out my serial CI-V cable with a spare USB CI-V
          cable and it started working.

          > Did you set the levels in the 2 boxes in the bottom row. Try adjusting
          > them to -15 and 50 and see if that doesn't work. For reference, mine are
          > set at 0 and 70.

          I found that PSK Viewer will decode signals that are not strong enough
          to display on the waterfall. I went into ALSAMIXER and cranked up the
          level and I'm now able to see on the waterfall what PSK Viewer
          decodes.

          My last outstanding issue (I hope) is not being able to adjust my
          audio levels using the sliders on the left side of the RX and TX
          window. I have two soundcards in my system /dev/dsp0 on-board sound
          used by my desktop and /dev/dsp1 which is a SB Live 24! card used for
          digi modes. My fldigi sound device is set to /dev/dsp1. I have the
          Mixer Manager box checked and I'm using /dev/mixer1 as my mixer device
          (which might be my problem). I tried changing from PortAudio to OSS
          with the same results. Does anyone have a suggestion on this one?

          Thanks !

          73,
          ...Gary,K8EHB
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 17, 2008
            Gary Mackey wrote:
            > Hi Ed

            > My last outstanding issue (I hope) is not being able to adjust my
            > audio levels using the sliders on the left side of the RX and TX
            > window. I have two soundcards in my system /dev/dsp0 on-board sound
            > used by my desktop and /dev/dsp1 which is a SB Live 24! card used for
            > digi modes. My fldigi sound device is set to /dev/dsp1. I have the
            > Mixer Manager box checked and I'm using /dev/mixer1 as my mixer device
            > (which might be my problem). I tried changing from PortAudio to OSS
            > with the same results. Does anyone have a suggestion on this one?
            >
            > Thanks !
            >
            > 73,
            > ....Gary,K8EHB

            Well, Rick K9AO is the sound guru for the list. Your setup looks to be
            correct. I have an older SB card that works just fine. See if installing
            the alsa-oss wrapper helps. Other than that I'm as lost as you are.

            Sorry I'm not more of a help.

            Ed W3NR
          • Stelios Bounanos
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 17, 2008

              > My last outstanding issue (I hope) is not being able to adjust my
              > audio levels using the sliders on the left side of the RX and TX
              > window. I have two soundcards in my system /dev/dsp0 on-board sound
              > used by my desktop and /dev/dsp1 which is a SB Live 24! card used for
              > digi modes. My fldigi sound device is set to /dev/dsp1. I have the
              > Mixer Manager box checked and I'm using /dev/mixer1 as my mixer device
              > (which might be my problem). I tried changing from PortAudio to OSS
              > with the same results. Does anyone have a suggestion on this one?

              Your mixer device is correct, but if your Live! 24 card is anything like
              mine you will need to remap its OSS mixer channels for fldigi to change
              the right levels. If the "lspci" output for your card looks like this:

              Creative Labs SB Audigy LS

              and the card is supported by the ca0106 driver, you could try this
              definition:

              ------------cut-here------------
              VOLUME "Analog Front Playback" 0
              BASS "" 0
              TREBLE "" 0
              SYNTH "" 0
              PCM "Analog Front Playback" 0
              SPEAKER "" 0
              LINE "Line in Capture" 0
              MIC "Mic Capture" 0
              CD "" 0
              IMIX "" 0
              ALTPCM "" 0
              RECLEV "" 0
              IGAIN "Line in Capture" 0
              OGAIN "" 0
              LINE1 "Aux Capture" 0
              LINE2 "" 0
              LINE3 "" 0
              DIGITAL1 "IEC958" 0
              DIGITAL2 "" 0
              DIGITAL3 "" 0
              PHONEIN "Phone" 0
              PHONEOUT "Phone" 0
              VIDEO "" 0
              RADIO "" 0
              MONITOR "" 0
              ------------cut-here------------

              Paste the text into a new file (for possible editing later) and pipe it
              to the oss_mixer file for your card, e.g.:

              cat ca0106-oss_mixer-new > /proc/asound/CA0106/oss_mixer

              You should save a copy of /proc/asound/CA0106/oss_mixer first so that
              you can revert to the old channel mapping easily, without unloading the
              snd module or rebooting.

              More details about the oss_mixer trickery here:

              http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Mapping_oss_mixer_controls_to_alsa_mixer

              FWIW, I prefer to use the terminal-based program called "alsamixer", one
              of the many ALSA mixers available.

              73,
              Stelios, M0GLD
            • Rick Kunath
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 18, 2008
                Ed wrote:
                > Gary Mackey wrote:
                >> Hi Ed
                >
                >> My last outstanding issue (I hope) is not being able to adjust my
                >> audio levels using the sliders on the left side of the RX and TX
                >> window. I have two soundcards in my system /dev/dsp0 on-board sound
                >> used by my desktop and /dev/dsp1 which is a SB Live 24! card used
                >> for digi modes. My fldigi sound device is set to /dev/dsp1. I have
                >> the Mixer Manager box checked and I'm using /dev/mixer1 as my mixer
                >> device (which might be my problem). I tried changing from PortAudio
                >> to OSS with the same results. Does anyone have a suggestion on this
                >> one?

                You'll need to remap the mixer controls for your card to the correct
                controls.

                Since your card is the second card, it's mixer will be mixer1 and the
                card will be card1.

                I wrote a little description of what I did for Audigy2/4 cards a while
                back and pasted it in below. Just remember to refer to the right card,
                card0,card1, or whatever the card you are using is of you have more than 2.

                I did have your Live 24 card working on another machine a while ago too,
                but don't remember if I had to do any remapping for it or not. I don't
                have that machine any more so can't check. Just use alsamixergui to
                determine what controls, if any, need to be remapped and adjust the
                instructions for that control(s).

                Let me know if you have any questions.

                -------------------------------

                Because of the large number of mixer controls on the Audigy2 and Audigy4
                card mixers, some of the controls needed for operation of FLdigi (and
                other application) controls using ALSA-OSS emulation are not mapped to
                the correct controls in the OSS emulation layer of ALSA for the above
                sound cards.

                Remapping the controls is an easy process and allows for the proper
                operation and adjustment of these controls from inside FLdigi, using the
                built-in FLdigi mixer controls. (Rx, Tx, and PCM)

                I have tested the described modifications under Mandriva
                2006/2007.0/2007.1, but can't speak to other distros. These should work
                for other distros as well, but I'll leave it to others to comment on
                possible anomalies that are distro-specific.

                On an Audigy2 or Audigy4 card, the Rx gain control FLdigi uses (IGAIN in
                ALSA-OSS-emulation) is not mapped to the correct ALSA mixer control. The
                correct control is "Analog Mix". To apply the remapping on a one time
                basis (resets on reboot) for testing, issue the following command in a
                console as root:

                echo 'IGAIN "Analog Mix" 0' > /proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer/

                This will make a temporary change and will allow one to verify the
                change works as expected.

                One additional remapping is needed for the Audigy4 cards. The PCM
                control in ALSA-OSS-emulation is not mapped to the correct ALSA mixer
                control. In this case the emulated OSS PCM control needs to be mapped to
                the control "PCM Capture". To apply the remapping on a one time basis
                (resets on reboot) for testing, issue the following command in a console
                as root:

                echo 'PCM "PCM Capture" 0' > /proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer

                Once you are satisfied that these changes operate as expected on your
                distro, changes can be made to apply these automatically on a reboot.

                I like to have startup scripts I have added readily accessible and
                readily apparent. For this reason I made changes to the rc.local file
                which point to an external script that does the actual remapping. I
                saved the actual remapping script in /root. There are other ways to
                accomplish this, but I liked this way of handling it.

                Here is what I did:

                Modify the /etc/rc/d/rc.local file (as root) adding the below to the end
                of the file, then save it:

                #
                # Added by RSK to remap oss_mixer to correct mapping for Audigy 2/4
                # cards
                #
                /root/remap-oss-mixer.sh
                #
                #End RSK modifications
                #

                This runs the actual remapping script located in the /root directory on
                boot.

                My entire /etc/rc.d/rc.local file looks like this:

                #!/bin/shremap-oss-mixer.sh
                #
                ### BEGIN INIT INFO
                # Provides: rc.local
                # X-Mandriva-Compat-Mode
                # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
                # Short-Description: Local initialization script
                # scripts.
                # You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
                # want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.
                ### END INIT INFO

                touch /var/lock/subsys/local

                #
                # Added by RSK to remap oss_mixer to correct mapping for Audigy 2/4
                # cards
                #
                /root/remap-oss-mixer.sh
                #
                #End RSK modifications
                #

                As most know, anything on a line starting with # is a comment, so enter
                anything you need to remind yourself about any changes made to the files.

                The below is the remapping script (remap-oss-mixer.sh) that I stored in
                /root (make sure to set it's permissions to executable):

                #!/bin/sh
                #
                ### BEGIN INIT INFO
                #
                #Remap IGAIN to Analog Mix control for Audigy2/4 cards
                #
                echo 'IGAIN "Analog Mix" 0' > /proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer
                #
                #The below needed only for the Audigy4 card to remap PCM to PCM Capture
                #
                echo 'PCM "PCM Capture" 0' > /proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer
                #End of RSK changes

                These scripts files are actually text files, and may be edited as such.
                To create the remap-oss-mixer.sh file simply create a text file and copy
                over the script text. Name the file remap-oss-mixer.sh, and make sure
                that it is marked as executable in file permissions. The file should be
                saved in /root. If you are using an Audigy2 card either comment out
                (with a #) or delete the line:

                echo 'PCM "PCM Capture" 0' > /proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer

                This line isn't needed for the Audigy2 card, as the mapping is already
                correct for the PCM control on this card.

                These remapping changes are made to the file:

                /proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer.

                In a single sound card system, this will be card0. Refer to the above
                path. Additional cards are card1, 2, etc. Adjust the path as appropriate
                to get to the correct card configuration files.

                The oss_mixer file is not a readable file, but you can easily see it's
                contents by making a copy on the Desktop and opening that with a text
                editor.

                Here are the contents of my Audigy4 oss_mixer file:

                VOLUME "Master" 0
                BASS "Tone Control - Bass" 0
                TREBLE "Tone Control - Treble" 0
                SYNTH "Synth" 0
                PCM "PCM Capture" 0
                SPEAKER "PC Speaker" 0
                LINE "Line" 0
                MIC "Mic" 0
                CD "CD" 0
                IMIX "" 0
                ALTPCM "Wave" 0
                RECLEV "" 0
                IGAIN "Analog Mix" 0
                OGAIN "" 0
                LINE1 "Aux" 0
                LINE2 "" 0
                LINE3 "" 0
                DIGITAL1 "IEC958 Optical" 0
                DIGITAL2 "" 0
                DIGITAL3 "" 0
                PHONEIN "Phone" 0
                PHONEOUT "Phone" 0
                VIDEO "Video" 0
                RADIO "" 0
                MONITOR "" 0

                You may find this useful to compare with the current mappings in your
                own oss_mixer file.

                You'll notice that there are lots of already mapped ALSA-OSS-emulation
                mixer controls that work properly. The changes described above correct
                two controls that are not mapped correctly in OSS-emulation by default.
                The same procedure may be used to remap any control desired.

                One other issue that may come up when using multiple sound cards is
                kernel module aliasing. This is what sets the card as /dev/dsp0, and
                dev/dsp1, etc. for multiple cards.

                On a single card system you would find the below as a part of the file
                /etc/modules.conf (scroll through the file to find it):

                alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
                alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
                alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
                alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
                alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

                These aliases alias the first sound card to /dev/dsp0.

                If a second sound card is present additional aliases will have to be
                added if they aren't there already. These will alias the second card to
                /dev/dsp1, etc.

                You only need the three additional aliases for cards 1, 2, etc. as below
                (because there is only one sequencer):

                alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
                alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
                alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

                If you have one sound card you don't need to worry about the additional
                aliases.

                Hopefully some of this will be useful to folks using the Audigy2 and
                Audigy4 cards.

                Both of these cards have been working very nicely here on several
                machines I have available for testing.

                Rick Kunath, k9ao
              • Gary Mackey
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 18, 2008
                  Thanks all who responded.... Remapping solved my problem.

                  73,
                  ...Gary,K8EHB