Re: Puppy/fldigi/eeePC/RigCat

  • Rich Newsom
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10, 2008
      The edited xml file must be named "rig.xml" and must be in the
      hidden .fldigi directory which is in "root" (or username dependent
      on os). As long as the xml list the proper comm device name, it
      will work fine with the usb-serial or usb-ttl converters. Don't
      forget to hit initialize after setting up rigctl in the menu.

      BTW, fldigi works fine in the newest version Puppy Linux (4.0).

      Rich
      WA4SXZ

      --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Don Tuite" <dtuite@...> wrote:

      > I have fldigi on a USB memory stick up and running on my eeePC. I want
      > to control my ICOM 703 using a RigExpert Tiny, which uses an FTDI chip
      > to interface between USB and the ICOM CI-V interface.
      >
      > Under Puppy, the USB drivers on the eeePC are /dev/usb/ttyUSB0
      > and /dev/usb/ttyUSB1.
      >
      > I have been editing the RigCAT .xml file for the 703 without success.
      > (After editing, I place it in "root" with the name ".fldigi.xml")
      >
      > Other than changing the name of the driver in the XML file, what else
      > should I be doing? Obviously, the RigCAT XML files were written under
      > the assumption the interface would be a TTY Com port. Can I just change
      > a few more lines of XML, or is it a big deal?
      >
      > Don NR7X

    • Don Tuite
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10, 2008
        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Newsom" <richwa4sxz@...> wrote:

        > The edited xml file must be named "rig.xml" and must be in the
        > hidden .fldigi directory which is in "root" (or username dependent
        > on os). As long as the xml list the proper comm device name, it
        > will work fine with the usb-serial or usb-ttl converters. Don't
        > forget to hit initialize after setting up rigctl in the menu.
        >
        > BTW, fldigi works fine in the newest version Puppy Linux (4.0).
        >
        > Rich
        > WA4SXZ

        Thanks. That's what the RigCAT instructions say. Been there. Those
        are contradicted by W1HJK here: http://www.w1hkj.com/flpuppy.html.
        Alas. What's a mother to do?

        Do you have your rig working out of a USB port?. That seems to be the
        sticking point.

        And I forgot to mention -- I DO have ftdi.sio loaded. And Puppy sees
        the chip and reports its maker and device. I know that's not enough,
        but I'm stymied as to what else.

        Cheers

        NR7X
        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2008
          Don Tuite wrote:
          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Newsom" <richwa4sxz@...> wrote:

          The edited xml file must be named "rig.xml" and must be in the
          hidden .fldigi directory which is in "root" (or username dependent
          on os). As long as the xml list the proper comm device name, it
          will work fine with the usb-serial or usb-ttl converters.  Don't
          forget to hit initialize after setting up rigctl in the menu.

          BTW, fldigi works fine in the newest version Puppy Linux (4.0).

          Rich
          WA4SXZ

          Thanks. That's what the RigCAT instructions say.  Been there.  Those
          are contradicted by W1HJK here: http://www.w1hkj.com/flpuppy.html.
          Alas. What's a mother to do?

          Refer to the latest information about the Puppy release for fldigi:

          http://www.w1hkj.com/emcpup.html

          and for information on using and setting up the rig.xml file:

          http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/TransceiverControl.html

          Dave, W1HKJ
        • Rich Newsom
          Message 4 of 6 , May 11, 2008
            Yes, my laptop has no serial ports other than the USB connectors.
            I have looked at the 703 xml on Dave's website and it is already
            set to ttyUSB0. It will work unless your o/s has some other required
            parameter. Some different O/S versions have requirements to set
            permissions for the user to access the USB port.

            When you get this working you may wish to make a HOW-TO for the
            FAQ file section for your type computer-OS setup.

            Rich
            WA4SXZ

            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Don Tuite" <dtuite@...> wrote:

            > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Newsom" <richwa4sxz@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The edited xml file must be named "rig.xml" and must be in the
            > > hidden .fldigi directory which is in "root" (or username dependent
            > > on os). As long as the xml list the proper comm device name, it
            > > will work fine with the usb-serial or usb-ttl converters. Don't
            > > forget to hit initialize after setting up rigctl in the menu.
            > >
            > > BTW, fldigi works fine in the newest version Puppy Linux (4.0).
            > >
            > > Rich
            > > WA4SXZ
            > >
            > Thanks. That's what the RigCAT instructions say. Been there. Those
            > are contradicted by W1HJK here: http://www.w1hkj.com/flpuppy.html.
            > Alas. What's a mother to do?
            >
            > Do you have your rig working out of a USB port?. That seems to be the
            > sticking point.
            >
            > And I forgot to mention -- I DO have ftdi.sio loaded. And Puppy sees
            > the chip and reports its maker and device. I know that's not enough,
            > but I'm stymied as to what else.
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > NR7X

          • Don Tuite
            Message 5 of 6 , May 11, 2008
              > Refer to the latest information about the Puppy release for fldigi:
              >
              > http://www.w1hkj.com/emcpup.html
              >
              > and for information on using and setting up the rig.xml file:
              >
              > http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/TransceiverControl.html
              >
              > Dave, W1HKJ

              Thanks. That ought to do it.

              Okay, minor glitch. I don't do this every day.

              I used "mount" to extract the files from the ISO and place them into
              a subdirectory under /home/user on the eeePC. I think I ought to be
              able to copy them to a USB drive, but when I try sudo cp, I get
              an "input/output" error and the files written to the USB drive are
              empty or truncated. (I'm more or less following the instructions for
              the second approach at the eeePC Wiki:
              http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:installpuppylinux, which involve adding
              a section to the grub menu -- something I've done before.)

              At this point in the game, friends, I could use a hint.

              (Maybe two or three.)

              Don, NR7X