fldigi on Mnadriva 2008

  • Massimo Corinaldesi
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10, 2008
      I have fldigi 1.342 up and running on Mandriva 2008.0

      Now, I want to test the 2.10.3 version.
      I already have portaudio2 installed so I compiled hamlib 1.7.1, then I
      tried the binaries of fldigi. The program shows the following message:

      ./fldigi: error while loading shared libraries: libhamlib.so.2: cannot

      Unfortunately, libhamlib.so.2 is installed and located into
      /usr/local/lib.

      Now, I need some help to know what to do before compiling fldigi.

      Thanks

      Massimo I0MCF
    • Rick Kunath
      Message 2 of 7 , May 10, 2008
        On Saturday 10 May 2008 01:54:22 pm Massimo Corinaldesi wrote:
        > I have fldigi 1.342 up and running on Mandriva 2008.0
        >
        > Now, I want to test the 2.10.3 version.
        > I already have portaudio2 installed so I compiled hamlib 1.7.1, then I
        > tried the binaries of fldigi. The program shows the following message:
        >
        > ./fldigi: error while loading shared libraries: libhamlib.so.2: cannot
        >
        > Unfortunately, libhamlib.so.2 is installed and located into
        > /usr/local/lib.
        >
        > Now, I need some help to know what to do before compiling fldigi.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Massimo I0MCF

        I've been using Mandriva for years... here's the details on what you need to
        do.

        Do not modify your ld.so.conf file to see the /usr/local tree. This is bad
        practice, and dangerous.

        On a Mandriva system, hamlib has to be installed into the /usr tree. I do not
        recommend doing this for other apps, but as for hamlib, configure it like
        this:

        ./configure --prefix=/usr

        Then build it normally, i.e. make, and su to root, make install.

        Do a make uninstall on your current installation, then a make clean, follow
        that by the configure command above.

        This will have hamlib available to any app that needs it. There are a lot of
        others that need hamlib too.

        Libfltk has to be rebuilt on a Mandriva system to include the xft option. This
        won't stop FLdigi from starting but without the --enable-xft option the fonts
        will be ugly. The simplest way to get this is to grab the source rpm and
        rebuild that with the correct options. I avoided 2008.0, but have 2008.1
        modified fltk libs available.

        Let me know if you have any questions.

        Rick Kunath, k9ao
        Message 3 of 7 , May 10, 2008
          Massimo Corinaldesi wrote:
          > I have fldigi 1.342 up and running on Mandriva 2008.0
          >
          > Now, I want to test the 2.10.3 version.
          > I already have portaudio2 installed so I compiled hamlib 1.7.1, then I
          > tried the binaries of fldigi. The program shows the following message:
          >
          > ./fldigi: error while loading shared libraries: libhamlib.so.2: cannot
          >
          > Unfortunately, libhamlib.so.2 is installed and located into
          > /usr/local/lib.

          Did you also inform the OS that the libs were present there? ie:
          ldconfig (see man ldconfig).

          Dave
        • Massimo Corinaldesi
          Message 4 of 7 , May 10, 2008
            Rick, very clear infos. Now the new fldigi runs !
            I need to "retune" the soundcard settings and rebuild fltk as You
            suggested.
            I am still on 2008.0 and I wait to shift to 2008.1 because from 2007
            to 2008 I needed to do too much triks...
            Many Thanks Rick.

            Massimo I0MCF

            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Rick Kunath <k9ao@...> wrote:

            > On Saturday 10 May 2008 01:54:22 pm Massimo Corinaldesi wrote:
            > > I have fldigi 1.342 up and running on Mandriva 2008.0
            > >
            > > Now, I want to test the 2.10.3 version.
            > > I already have portaudio2 installed so I compiled hamlib 1.7.1, then I
            > > tried the binaries of fldigi. The program shows the following message:
            > >
            > > ./fldigi: error while loading shared libraries: libhamlib.so.2: cannot
            > > open shared object file: No such file or directory
            > >
            > > Unfortunately, libhamlib.so.2 is installed and located into
            > > /usr/local/lib.
            > >
            > > Now, I need some help to know what to do before compiling fldigi.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Massimo I0MCF
            >
            > I've been using Mandriva for years... here's the details on what you
            need to
            > do.
            >
            > Do not modify your ld.so.conf file to see the /usr/local tree. This
            is bad
            > practice, and dangerous.
            >
            > On a Mandriva system, hamlib has to be installed into the /usr tree.
            I do not
            > recommend doing this for other apps, but as for hamlib, configure it
            like
            > this:
            >
            > ./configure --prefix=/usr
            >
            > Then build it normally, i.e. make, and su to root, make install.
            >
            > Do a make uninstall on your current installation, then a make clean,
            follow
            > that by the configure command above.
            >
            > This will have hamlib available to any app that needs it. There are
            a lot of
            > others that need hamlib too.
            >
            > Libfltk has to be rebuilt on a Mandriva system to include the xft
            option. This
            > won't stop FLdigi from starting but without the --enable-xft option
            the fonts
            > will be ugly. The simplest way to get this is to grab the source rpm
            and
            > rebuild that with the correct options. I avoided 2008.0, but have
            2008.1
            > modified fltk libs available.
            >
            > Let me know if you have any questions.
            >
            > Rick Kunath, k9ao

          • Massimo Corinaldesi
            Message 5 of 7 , May 10, 2008
              Dave, thanks to You too.
              I saw your suggestion just after I did the other way.
              Now its working !

              Massimo I0MCF

              > Massimo Corinaldesi wrote:
              > > I have fldigi 1.342 up and running on Mandriva 2008.0
              > >
              > > Now, I want to test the 2.10.3 version.
              > > I already have portaudio2 installed so I compiled hamlib 1.7.1, then I
              > > tried the binaries of fldigi. The program shows the following message:
              > >
              > > ./fldigi: error while loading shared libraries: libhamlib.so.2: cannot
              > > open shared object file: No such file or directory
              > >
              > > Unfortunately, libhamlib.so.2 is installed and located into
              > > /usr/local/lib.
              > >
              > Did you also inform the OS that the libs were present there? ie:
              > ldconfig (see man ldconfig).
              >
              > Dave

            • Hamish Moffatt
              Message 6 of 7 , May 11, 2008
                On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 02:14:58PM -0400, Rick Kunath wrote:
                > On Saturday 10 May 2008 01:54:22 pm Massimo Corinaldesi wrote:
                > > I have fldigi 1.342 up and running on Mandriva 2008.0
                > >
                > > Now, I want to test the 2.10.3 version.
                > > I already have portaudio2 installed so I compiled hamlib 1.7.1, then I
                > > tried the binaries of fldigi. The program shows the following message:
                > >
                > > ./fldigi: error while loading shared libraries: libhamlib.so.2: cannot
                > > open shared object file: No such file or directory
                > >
                > > Unfortunately, libhamlib.so.2 is installed and located into
                > > /usr/local/lib.
                > >
                > > Now, I need some help to know what to do before compiling fldigi.
                > >
                > > Thanks
                > >
                > > Massimo I0MCF
                >
                > I've been using Mandriva for years... here's the details on what you need to
                > do.
                >
                > Do not modify your ld.so.conf file to see the /usr/local tree. This is bad
                > practice, and dangerous.
                >
                > On a Mandriva system, hamlib has to be installed into the /usr tree. I do not

                Got to disagree here. The local admin (ie you) should not compile your
                own software and install it into /usr - that is reserved for vendor
                packages. /usr/local is exactly the right place for locally-installed
                software.

                I don't see the harm in adding /usr/local/lib to ld.so.conf. It's in
                Debian's by default.

                Hamish
                --
                Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>
              • Rick Kunath
                Message 7 of 7 , May 12, 2008
                  Hamish Moffatt wrote:

                  > Got to disagree here. The local admin (ie you) should not compile your
                  > own software and install it into /usr - that is reserved for vendor
                  > packages. /usr/local is exactly the right place for locally-installed
                  > software.
                  >
                  > I don't see the harm in adding /usr/local/lib to ld.so.conf. It's in
                  > Debian's by default.
                  >

                  > Hamish

                  Let's just say that ordinarily I'd agree, but not on a Mandriva system
                  for this one package (hamlib).

                  Try the package lib mods needed to run the various ham apps on a
                  Mandriva system and see the result of modifying the ld.so.conf file and
                  you'll see what I mean.

                  The vendor built packages should never see newer libs than they were
                  built under. Modifying the ld.so.conf allows them to see the locally
                  built modified libs needed for some of the ham apps to run. This is
                  always bad practice, and in a Mandriva system depending on what's
                  installed, there will be broken packages and instabilities.

                  YMMV

                  Rick Kunath, k9ao