Re: [linuxham] LC_ALL

  • Stelios Bounanos
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2008

      > I have come across a situation where the Linux/Unix environment variable
      > LC_ALL has been set to an unexpected value, and this is causing "sort"
      > and "ls" to function in a strange way.

      Try the "locale" command, which reports the values of all the LC
      variables. The behaviour of sort may be affected by LC_COLLATE, and the
      date format in the long output of ls changes with LC_TIME. LC_ALL of
      course overrides everything; see locale(7).

      > To explore this further, I would like to find out what this variable is
      > set to in today's Linuxes and Unixes. So, if you have a moment, please

      Most LC variables will be something like en_GB.UTF-8, depending on what
      locale/keyboard/language the user chose when installing. Older systems
      will not have UTF. LC_ALL should not be set by default.

      > input this command into your favourite Linux/Unix system(s):

      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      > set | grep LC_ALL
      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      > and tell me the value it reports.

      Nothing on my main machine, where there is no default locale and
      everything is effectively POSIX (a.k.a. C). On other systems I set
      LC_ALL=POSIX explicitly.

      73,
      Stelios, M0GLD.
    • Rick Stanback
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6, 2008
        It is unset in my FC6. so you may just want to unset FC_ALL

        --
        Rick Stanback
        rick@...

        "old men sleep with their conscious at night while the young men sleep with their dreams" John Prine
      • VE4KEH
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2008
          Puppy Linux 3.01 reports

          # set | grep LC_ALL