LC_ALL

  • Ian Wade
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2008
      I have come across a situation where the Linux/Unix environment variable
      LC_ALL has been set to an unexpected value, and this is causing "sort"
      and "ls" to function in a strange way.

      To explore this further, I would like to find out what this variable is
      set to in today's Linuxes and Unixes. So, if you have a moment, please
      input this command into your favourite Linux/Unix system(s):

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      set | grep LC_ALL
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      and tell me the value it reports.

      Many thanks.

      Ian, G3NRW
    • Pierfrancesco Caci
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2008
        On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 8:06 AM, Ian Wade <g3nrw@...> wrote:

        > I have come across a situation where the Linux/Unix environment variable
        > LC_ALL has been set to an unexpected value, and this is causing "sort"
        > and "ls" to function in a strange way.
        >
        > To explore this further, I would like to find out what this variable is
        > set to in today's Linuxes and Unixes. So, if you have a moment, please
        > input this command into your favourite Linux/Unix system(s):

        Hello,

        LC_ALL is not set by default on Ubuntu (I've not yet tested the very latest
        release yet). In fact, this variable is a hard override of all the
        other LC_* ones and should never be used.

        This is how I keep my language environment:

        $ locale
        LANG=en_US.UTF-8
        LANGUAGE=en_IT:en_GB:en_US:en
        LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_TIME=POSIX
        LC_COLLATE=POSIX
        LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_ALL=

        The LC_TIME and LC_COLLATE set to POSIX are to accomodate my taste:
        having grown when localization was just a buzzword, I find the sorting
        of plain ascii to better please my eye, and the same goes for the way
        time is shown in ls.
        Also me being italian but using and US keyboard explains my choices (I
        don't need no stinking accented letters, that's what compose is for.
        But I DO need [] {} and such to be readily available).

        Pf

        --
        Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx
      • Stelios Bounanos
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2008

          > I have come across a situation where the Linux/Unix environment variable
          > LC_ALL has been set to an unexpected value, and this is causing "sort"
          > and "ls" to function in a strange way.

          Try the "locale" command, which reports the values of all the LC
          variables. The behaviour of sort may be affected by LC_COLLATE, and the
          date format in the long output of ls changes with LC_TIME. LC_ALL of
          course overrides everything; see locale(7).

          > To explore this further, I would like to find out what this variable is
          > set to in today's Linuxes and Unixes. So, if you have a moment, please

          Most LC variables will be something like en_GB.UTF-8, depending on what
          locale/keyboard/language the user chose when installing. Older systems
          will not have UTF. LC_ALL should not be set by default.

          > input this command into your favourite Linux/Unix system(s):

          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          > set | grep LC_ALL
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          > and tell me the value it reports.

          Nothing on my main machine, where there is no default locale and
          everything is effectively POSIX (a.k.a. C). On other systems I set
          LC_ALL=POSIX explicitly.

          73,
          Stelios, M0GLD.
        • Rick Stanback
          Message 4 of 5 , May 6, 2008
            It is unset in my FC6. so you may just want to unset FC_ALL

            --
            Rick Stanback
            rick@...

            "old men sleep with their conscious at night while the young men sleep with their dreams" John Prine
          • VE4KEH
            Message 5 of 5 , May 7, 2008
              Puppy Linux 3.01 reports

              # set | grep LC_ALL