Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Getting frequencies into fl_logbook

Expand Messages
  • guyknick
    ... Ed, With tongue in cheek,I m going to be cheeky enough to ask which morning. Hope that you have a better day. 73 Guy W3RJA
    Message 1 of 24 , May 4, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Ed <autek@...> wrote:
      >
      > guyknick wrote:
      >
      > > As for attachments: Double clicking never got me anything. Text in the
      > > placeholder:

      > > "Attachment(not stored)
      > > ss1.png
      > > Type:
      > > image.png"
      > >
      > > OS: Mepis (Debian) 7.0
      > > fldigi 2.10.2
      > > fl_logbook v2.5
      > >
      > > Hope that this helps.
      > >
      > > Guy W3RJA
      > >
      >
      > Guy, let me get back to you in the morning. I spent the day with 2
      > friends taking down an 80 foot tower. I'm really dragging you know what.
      >
      > You have given me enough information to work with and we should have you

      Ed,

      With tongue in cheek,I'm going to be cheeky enough to ask which morning.

      Hope that you have a better day.

      73

      Guy W3RJA
      > up to full speed in a day.....or 2 at the most.
      >
      > Ed W3NR
      >
    • Ed
      ... Guy, Dave had sent you the complete instructions on how to set-up the logging for what you want to do. Since you read the list on yahoo instead of an email
      Message 2 of 24 , May 4, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        guyknick wrote:

        > Ed,
        >
        > With tongue in cheek,I'm going to be cheeky enough to ask which morning.
        >
        > Hope that you have a better day.
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Guy W3RJA

        Guy, Dave had sent you the complete instructions on how to set-up the
        logging for what you want to do.

        Since you read the list on yahoo instead of an email application, you
        will not be able to open any screenshots or attachments as yahoo does
        not allow either.

        Here are the instructions again. Any part you don't fully understand, ask.

        From the fldig help file::


        If you are not using a hamlib compatible transceiver you will probably
        want to substitute your own choice of base frequencies for that which is
        defaulted in the program.

        The frequencies definition file is a simple single entry per line text
        file that describes the frequencies that you will want to put into the
        band select combo widget.

        The file is named "frequencies.def" and should be placed in the
        $HOME/.fldigi directory (remember that dot!).

        A typical file might contain:

        3580
        7030
        7070
        14030
        14070
        18100
        21070

        You can create this file using any one of the several text editors
        available in your Linux distro.

        The list will only be read at program startup so you will need to do a
        little planning before your operating schedule.

        If you are not using a Hamlib or memmap rig control interface

        * The Band specifier combo box can be filled in manually or
        selected from the pull down list.
        o The pull down box will be filled with the program defaults
        or from the frequencies.def file that the user creates and stores in the
        $HOME/.fldigi directory.


        Make sure you follow the format as described.

        Ed W3NR
      • guyknick
        ... morning. ... understand, ask. ... which is ... the ... Ed, Thank you for your remarks. I had already followed Dave s instructions for creating and
        Message 3 of 24 , May 5, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Ed <autek@...> wrote:
          >
          > guyknick wrote:
          >
          > > Ed,
          > >
          > > With tongue in cheek,I'm going to be cheeky enough to ask which
          morning.
          > >
          > > Hope that you have a better day.
          > >
          > > 73
          > >
          > > Guy W3RJA
          >
          > Guy, Dave had sent you the complete instructions on how to set-up the
          > logging for what you want to do.
          >
          > Since you read the list on yahoo instead of an email application, you
          > will not be able to open any screenshots or attachments as yahoo does
          > not allow either.
          >
          > Here are the instructions again. Any part you don't fully
          understand, ask.
          >
          > From the fldig help file::
          >
          >
          > If you are not using a hamlib compatible transceiver you will probably
          > want to substitute your own choice of base frequencies for that
          which is
          > defaulted in the program.
          >
          > The frequencies definition file is a simple single entry per line text
          > file that describes the frequencies that you will want to put into the
          > band select combo widget.
          >
          > The file is named "frequencies.def" and should be placed in the
          > $HOME/.fldigi directory (remember that dot!).
          >
          > A typical file might contain:
          >
          > 3580
          > 7030
          > 7070
          > 14030
          > 14070
          > 18100
          > 21070
          >
          > You can create this file using any one of the several text editors
          > available in your Linux distro.
          >
          > The list will only be read at program startup so you will need to do a
          > little planning before your operating schedule.
          >
          > If you are not using a Hamlib or memmap rig control interface
          >
          > * The Band specifier combo box can be filled in manually or
          > selected from the pull down list.
          > o The pull down box will be filled with the program defaults
          > or from the frequencies.def file that the user creates and stores in
          the
          > $HOME/.fldigi directory.
          >
          >
          > Make sure you follow the format as described.
          >
          > Ed W3NR
          >

          Ed,

          Thank you for your remarks.

          I had already followed Dave's instructions for creating and inserting
          a frequencies.def file (populated with the two band's frequencies that
          I work 40m 7070 and 20m 14070)in the .fildi directory located in my
          home directory.

          What has not been explained to me so far as I can tell is how what is
          described as the "band specifier combo box" is made to appear.
          Imagining that it is a drop-down menu, I have tried the darndest by
          every manner that I can think of to get a drop-down menu, let alone
          one with two frequencies.

          If this can't be solved in a straight forward way then maybe I need to
          be sending somebody a screen snapshot of whatever screen in which this
          is supposed to appear. Give me an e-mail address and I will respond.

          I suppose I need to inform you about a procedural matter that reflects
          my relative newness to Linux systems that may have a bearing.

          I am launching fl_logbook and fldigi individually as that seemed to be
          the only way to get them running. Maybe there is some way that I
          should be "chaining" (for want of a better term) the two on a single
          command line to get the system launched.

          Sorry that this is so long drawn out. I look forward to getting out of
          your hair and I presume you think likewise!

          Guy W3RJA
        • Stelios Bounanos
          Hello Guy, ... [snip] ... The drop-down menu that lists the frequencies defined in ~/.fldigi/frequencies.def can be found at the top of fldigi s main window,
          Message 4 of 24 , May 5, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            Hello Guy,

            >>>>> On Tue, 06 May 2008 00:13:46 -0000, "guyknick" <guyknick@...> said:

            [snip]

            > What has not been explained to me so far as I can tell is how what is
            > described as the "band specifier combo box" is made to appear.
            > Imagining that it is a drop-down menu, I have tried the darndest by
            > every manner that I can think of to get a drop-down menu, let alone
            > one with two frequencies.

            The drop-down menu that lists the frequencies defined in
            ~/.fldigi/frequencies.def can be found at the top of fldigi's main
            window, below Frequency and on the left of Notes. It will appear (and is
            useful) only when rig control is disabled and fldigi has no way of
            reading the frequency from the radio.

            Fldigi works fine without rig control but has some useful features which
            depend on that functionality. Apart from automatic frequency logging,
            the frequency/mode list in the Rig Control window, and the waterfall QSY
            and M buttons come to mind. Is your radio not supported by hamlib or
            rigxml?

            [snip]

            > I am launching fl_logbook and fldigi individually as that seemed to be
            > the only way to get them running. Maybe there is some way that I
            > should be "chaining" (for want of a better term) the two on a single
            > command line to get the system launched.

            No, they don't need to be run in any special way AFAIK.


            73,
            Stelios, M0GLD.
          • Bob Snyder
            guyknick wrote: What has not been explained to me so far as I can tell is how what is described as the band specifier combo box is made to appear. Imagining
            Message 5 of 24 , May 5, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              guyknick wrote:
              What has not been explained to me so far as I can tell is how what is
              described as the "band specifier combo box" is made to appear.
              Imagining that it is a drop-down menu, I have tried the darndest by
              every manner that I can think of to get a drop-down menu, let alone
              one with two frequencies.
              This is the rectangular window to the left of the down arrow in the image below:





              After  you press the down arrow it looks like this:




              You can also enter the frequencies into the window directly without the pulldown list or the frequencies.txt file

              Hope this helps,

              Bob  W6CP

            • Ed
              ... Guy, you can launch either in any order, I open one then the other, in no particular order. The drop-down is only in fldigi. Once you have finished the QSO
              Message 6 of 24 , May 6, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                guyknick wrote:

                > Ed,
                >
                > Thank you for your remarks.
                >
                > I had already followed Dave's instructions for creating and inserting
                > a frequencies.def file (populated with the two band's frequencies that
                > I work 40m 7070 and 20m 14070)in the .fildi directory located in my
                > home directory.
                >
                > What has not been explained to me so far as I can tell is how what is
                > described as the "band specifier combo box" is made to appear.
                > Imagining that it is a drop-down menu, I have tried the darndest by
                > every manner that I can think of to get a drop-down menu, let alone
                > one with two frequencies.
                >
                > If this can't be solved in a straight forward way then maybe I need to
                > be sending somebody a screen snapshot of whatever screen in which this
                > is supposed to appear. Give me an e-mail address and I will respond.
                >
                > I suppose I need to inform you about a procedural matter that reflects
                > my relative newness to Linux systems that may have a bearing.
                >
                > I am launching fl_logbook and fldigi individually as that seemed to be
                > the only way to get them running. Maybe there is some way that I
                > should be "chaining" (for want of a better term) the two on a single
                > command line to get the system launched.
                >
                > Sorry that this is so long drawn out. I look forward to getting out of
                > your hair and I presume you think likewise!
                >
                > Guy W3RJA
                >
                >
                >
                > ------------------------------------

                Guy, you can launch either in any order, I open one then the other, in
                no particular order. The drop-down is only in fldigi. Once you have
                finished the QSO you need to click on the "save" button to the far right
                on the entry window in fldigi. This will automatically enter the QSO in
                fl_logbook.

                I have uploaded a frequencies.def file and several screenshots for you
                to linuxham at yahoo. Make sure your .def is the same as I uploaded. The
                screenshots will show you how fldigi and fl_logbook should look if you
                have setup the .def correctly.

                On the linuxham web page on the left you will see "Files", click on that
                and then on the next page, click on "FAQ", the .def and screenshots are
                in the list.

                Ed W3NR
              • guyknick
                ... right ... The ... that ... Aha! Tis said that a picture is worth a thousand words. We ve gone a long ways toward that thousand words haven t we?! I see
                Message 7 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Ed <autek@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > guyknick wrote:
                  >
                  > > Ed,
                  > >
                  > > Thank you for your remarks.
                  > >
                  > > I had already followed Dave's instructions for creating and inserting
                  > > a frequencies.def file (populated with the two band's frequencies that
                  > > I work 40m 7070 and 20m 14070)in the .fildi directory located in my
                  > > home directory.
                  > >
                  > > What has not been explained to me so far as I can tell is how what is
                  > > described as the "band specifier combo box" is made to appear.
                  > > Imagining that it is a drop-down menu, I have tried the darndest by
                  > > every manner that I can think of to get a drop-down menu, let alone
                  > > one with two frequencies.
                  > >
                  > > If this can't be solved in a straight forward way then maybe I need to
                  > > be sending somebody a screen snapshot of whatever screen in which this
                  > > is supposed to appear. Give me an e-mail address and I will respond.
                  > >
                  > > I suppose I need to inform you about a procedural matter that reflects
                  > > my relative newness to Linux systems that may have a bearing.
                  > >
                  > > I am launching fl_logbook and fldigi individually as that seemed to be
                  > > the only way to get them running. Maybe there is some way that I
                  > > should be "chaining" (for want of a better term) the two on a single
                  > > command line to get the system launched.
                  > >
                  > > Sorry that this is so long drawn out. I look forward to getting out of
                  > > your hair and I presume you think likewise!
                  > >
                  > > Guy W3RJA
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > ------------------------------------
                  >
                  > Guy, you can launch either in any order, I open one then the other, in
                  > no particular order. The drop-down is only in fldigi. Once you have
                  > finished the QSO you need to click on the "save" button to the far
                  right
                  > on the entry window in fldigi. This will automatically enter the QSO in
                  > fl_logbook.
                  >
                  > I have uploaded a frequencies.def file and several screenshots for you
                  > to linuxham at yahoo. Make sure your .def is the same as I uploaded.
                  The
                  > screenshots will show you how fldigi and fl_logbook should look if you
                  > have setup the .def correctly.
                  >
                  > On the linuxham web page on the left you will see "Files", click on
                  that
                  > and then on the next page, click on "FAQ", the .def and screenshots are
                  > in the list.
                  >
                  > Ed W3NR
                  >

                  Aha!

                  'Tis said that "a picture is worth a thousand words."

                  We've gone a long ways toward that thousand words haven't we?!

                  I see from the pictures that I don't even have the band specifier
                  combo box on the line next to Notes.

                  I'll stand by for news on where we go from here

                  Guy W3RJA
                • w1hkj
                  ... Do you have either of hamlib , memmap , or rigCAT set as the rig control interface? None of those should be enabled for the frequencies.def and the
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                  • 0 Attachment
                    > Aha!
                    >
                    > 'Tis said that "a picture is worth a thousand words."
                    >
                    > We've gone a long ways toward that thousand words haven't we?!
                    >
                    > I see from the pictures that I don't even have the band specifier
                    > combo box on the line next to Notes.
                    >
                    > I'll stand by for news on where we go from here
                    >
                    > Guy W3RJA
                    >
                    >
                    Do you have either of "hamlib", "memmap", or rigCAT set as the rig
                    control interface? None of those should be enabled for the
                    frequencies.def and the missing widgets to be present.

                    What rig are you interfacing to and what is the interface h/w configuration?

                    Dave
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.