Re: Programming memory locations from Linux

  • andykb1oiq
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2008
      Hi Ekki,

      Thank you for the reply. I have noticed this cloning capability and
      assumed that it would be relatively easy to reverse engineer. I
      suppose if it were so easy, it would have been done by now and
      documented somewhere on the internet.

      What strikes me as oddly inconsistent is that the vendors will publish
      a programming specification for some radios but not others.

      What about radios with those "fancy" microphones with many buttons
      that allow all sorts of controlability of the radio from the
      microphone? Has anybody documented or reverse engineered the
      microphone inputs to the radio? I have found many sites with the
      pinout documentation, but I have yet to find any description of the
      protocol.

      Thanks, and 73,

      Andy
      KB1OIQ
    • M Ewing
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2008
        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "andykb1oiq" <kb1oiq@...> wrote:

        > Hi Ekki,
        >
        > Thank you for the reply. I have noticed this cloning capability and
        > assumed that it would be relatively easy to reverse engineer. I
        > suppose if it were so easy, it would have been done by now and
        > documented somewhere on the internet.
        >
        > What strikes me as oddly inconsistent is that the vendors will publish
        > a programming specification for some radios but not others.

        I'd like to have all open protocols, also, but I can understand why
        the vendors might not do it, on advice of lawyers and/or the FCC.
        There have been some rigs on the market that you could reprogram to
        operate out of spec -- outside ham bands (but what about MARS freqs?),
        bad distortion, etc. Possibly you could cause the rig to fail by
        changing bias levels, firmware code, or whatever. The vendors have to
        prevent that or they might not get FCC type acceptance -- or they may
        worry about warranty issues if rigs are getting "bricked".

        If a vendor is going to provide a published, plain text user
        interface, they have to do more work to sanitize it for the "hostile"
        public. Many times (e.g. for typical VHF/UHF mobiles), they may
        figure the demand does not warrant the effort.

        Or that's my take on it FWIW.

        73, Martin AA6E