Re: [linuxham] Programming memory locations from Linux

  • Ekki Plicht (DF4OR)
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2008
      On Thursday 01 May 2008, andykb1oiq wrote:
      [programming fm mobile radios]
      > I'm having no luck finding the interface specifications for radios
      > which I'm considering. Am I blind or do these things not exist? If
      > not, why not?

      I have been looking into that for a while, and it seems as if most recent fm
      mobile radios offer a cloning capability. I.e. they do offer a form of CAT
      control, at least for the memories.

      The downside is that none of the manufacturers I looked at (Icom, Kenwood,
      Yaesu) publishes the protocol. For whatever reason.

      A while ago I tried to understand the cloning protocol of an Icom handheld, I
      am assuming that the protocol used here is similiar to that on a fm mobile
      rig. Unfortunately I was not able to crack the encryption used there. It
      should be easy and has been done before, but my knowledge of cryptography is
      too limited.

      So, yes, fm mobile radios mostly do offer what you are looking for, but no,
      the protocol specifics are usually not known. One reason I can think of is to
      protect the market for their own programming tools, which are sold at a
      considerable price.

      73,
      Ekki, DF4OR
    • andykb1oiq
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2008
        Hi Ekki,

        Thank you for the reply. I have noticed this cloning capability and
        assumed that it would be relatively easy to reverse engineer. I
        suppose if it were so easy, it would have been done by now and
        documented somewhere on the internet.

        What strikes me as oddly inconsistent is that the vendors will publish
        a programming specification for some radios but not others.

        What about radios with those "fancy" microphones with many buttons
        that allow all sorts of controlability of the radio from the
        microphone? Has anybody documented or reverse engineered the
        microphone inputs to the radio? I have found many sites with the
        pinout documentation, but I have yet to find any description of the
        protocol.

        Thanks, and 73,

        Andy
        KB1OIQ
      • M Ewing
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2008
          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "andykb1oiq" <kb1oiq@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ekki,
          >
          > Thank you for the reply. I have noticed this cloning capability and
          > assumed that it would be relatively easy to reverse engineer. I
          > suppose if it were so easy, it would have been done by now and
          > documented somewhere on the internet.
          >
          > What strikes me as oddly inconsistent is that the vendors will publish
          > a programming specification for some radios but not others.

          I'd like to have all open protocols, also, but I can understand why
          the vendors might not do it, on advice of lawyers and/or the FCC.
          There have been some rigs on the market that you could reprogram to
          operate out of spec -- outside ham bands (but what about MARS freqs?),
          bad distortion, etc. Possibly you could cause the rig to fail by
          changing bias levels, firmware code, or whatever. The vendors have to
          prevent that or they might not get FCC type acceptance -- or they may
          worry about warranty issues if rigs are getting "bricked".

          If a vendor is going to provide a published, plain text user
          interface, they have to do more work to sanitize it for the "hostile"
          public. Many times (e.g. for typical VHF/UHF mobiles), they may
          figure the demand does not warrant the effort.

          Or that's my take on it FWIW.

          73, Martin AA6E