Getting frequencies into fl_logbook

  • guyknick
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 24 6:37 PM
      I've got fl_logbook running but am having a problem entering
      frequencies into it.

      I'm not running hamlib to control the transceiver.

      I've created a file (frequencies.def) in .fldigi with the two band
      frequencies that I am using.

      I haven't figured out how to get the frequency information into the
      data panel for entry into the logbook.

      I just need that extra clue!

      Many thanks in advance for help in this matter

      73

      Guy W3RJA
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 25 3:08 AM
        guyknick wrote:
        > I've got fl_logbook running but am having a problem entering
        > frequencies into it.
        >
        > I'm not running hamlib to control the transceiver.
        >
        > I've created a file (frequencies.def) in .fldigi with the two band
        > frequencies that I am using.
        >
        > I haven't figured out how to get the frequency information into the
        > data panel for entry into the logbook.
        >
        > I just need that extra clue!
        >
        > Many thanks in advance for help in this matter
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Guy W3RJA

        Without rig control, you will have to hand edit fl_logbook. The
        frequency is read directly from the rig.

        Ed W3NR
      • guyknick
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 25 7:29 AM

          > guyknick wrote:
          > > I've got fl_logbook running but am having a problem entering
          > > frequencies into it.
          > >
          > > I'm not running hamlib to control the transceiver.
          > >
          > > I've created a file (frequencies.def) in .fldigi with the two band
          > > frequencies that I am using.
          > >
          > > I haven't figured out how to get the frequency information into the
          > > data panel for entry into the logbook.
          > >
          > > I just need that extra clue!
          > >
          > > Many thanks in advance for help in this matter
          > >
          > > 73
          > >
          > > Guy W3RJA
          >
          > Without rig control, you will have to hand edit fl_logbook. The
          > frequency is read directly from the rig.
          >
          > Ed W3NR

          I quote from the fldigi help manual:

          "If you are not using a hamlib compatible transceiver you will
          probably want to substitute your own choice of base
          frequencies for that which is defaulted in the program.
          The frequencies definition file is a simple single entry per line text
          file that describes the frequencies that you will
          want to put into the band select combo widget.
          The file is named "frequencies.def" and should be placed in the
          $HOME/.fldigi directory (remember that dot!).
          A typical file might contain:

          ;;;;

          You can create this file using any one of the several text editors
          available in your Linux distro.
          The list will only be read at program startup so you will need to do a
          little planning before your operating
          schedule.:

          Am I misinterpreting --or overinterpreting-- this information?

          73,

          Guy W3RJA
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 25 7:46 AM
            guyknick wrote:

            > Am I misinterpreting --or overinterpreting-- this information?
            >
            > 73,
            >
            > Guy W3RJA

            That works for fldigi, but not fl_logbook....sorry.

            But to your credit, you are one of a handful that actually took the time
            to read the help file........thanks

            BTW you might want to look at Xlog. But I'm afraid you will get the same
            results.

            Ed W3NR
          • roger g6ckr
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 25 8:53 AM
              I thought typing the frequency in if not connected to the radio was the
              right thing to do. You have the type the rest of the details.
              You could have a list in a text editor open so you can copy and paste.
              You paste with a third mouse button click (or left and right together if
              only a 2 button mouse) it works I just tried it.
              OK to qualify, tested on Ubuntu 7.10 32 bit YMMV.
              73 Roger
              G6CKR
              On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 10:46 -0400, Ed wrote:
              > guyknick wrote:
              >
              > > Am I misinterpreting --or overinterpreting-- this information?
              > >
              > > 73,
              > >
              > > Guy W3RJA
              >

              > That works for fldigi, but not fl_logbook....sorry.
              >
              > But to your credit, you are one of a handful that actually took the time
              > to read the help file........thanks
              >
              > BTW you might want to look at Xlog. But I'm afraid you will get the same
              > results.

            • guyknick
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 26 7:12 AM
                --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, roger g6ckr <radio@...> wrote:

                > I thought typing the frequency in if not connected to the radio was the
                > right thing to do. You have the type the rest of the details.
                > You could have a list in a text editor open so you can copy and paste.
                > You paste with a third mouse button click (or left and right together if
                > only a 2 button mouse) it works I just tried it.
                > OK to qualify, tested on Ubuntu 7.10 32 bit YMMV.
                > 73 Roger
                > G6CKR
                > On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 10:46 -0400, Ed wrote:
                > > guyknick wrote:
                > >
                > > > Am I misinterpreting --or overinterpreting-- this information?
                > > >
                > > > 73,
                > > >
                > > > Guy W3RJA
                > >

                > > That works for fldigi, but not fl_logbook....sorry.
                > >
                > > But to your credit, you are one of a handful that actually took
                the time
                > > to read the help file........thanks
                > >
                > > BTW you might want to look at Xlog. But I'm afraid you will get
                the same
                > > results.
                > >
                > > Ed W3NR

                I appreciate your comments.

                So far, I have been unable to enter frequency/band information into
                the QSO data portion of the fl_digi page by any cut/copy&paste
                technique that I can think of.

                My only recourse seems to be by means of editing and updating each of
                the entries in the fl_book itself unless there is another way someone
                can figure out. Incidentally, I am running OS Mepis 7.0.

                Do I take it correctly that the information in the material quoted
                earlier from the fldigi help manual is irrelevant?

                Thanks for all the help.

                Guy W3RJA
              • roger g6ckr
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 26 7:59 AM
                  On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 14:12 +0000, guyknick wrote:
                  > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, roger g6ckr <radio@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I thought typing the frequency in if not connected to the radio was the
                  > > right thing to do. You have the type the rest of the details.
                  > > You could have a list in a text editor open so you can copy and paste.
                  > > You paste with a third mouse button click (or left and right together if
                  > > only a 2 button mouse) it works I just tried it.
                  > > OK to qualify, tested on Ubuntu 7.10 32 bit YMMV.
                  > > 73 Roger
                  > > G6CKR

                  > > > That works for fldigi, but not fl_logbook....sorry.
                  > > >
                  > > > But to your credit, you are one of a handful that actually took
                  > the time
                  > > > to read the help file........thanks
                  > > >
                  > > > BTW you might want to look at Xlog. But I'm afraid you will get
                  > the same
                  > > > results.
                  > > >
                  > > > Ed W3NR

                  > I appreciate your comments.
                  >
                  > So far, I have been unable to enter frequency/band information into
                  > the QSO data portion of the fl_digi page by any cut/copy&paste
                  > technique that I can think of.
                  >
                  > My only recourse seems to be by means of editing and updating each of
                  > the entries in the fl_book itself unless there is another way someone
                  > can figure out. Incidentally, I am running OS Mepis 7.0.
                  >
                  > Do I take it correctly that the information in the material quoted
                  > earlier from the fldigi help manual is irrelevant?
                  >
                  > Thanks for all the help.
                  >
                  > Guy W3RJA

                  My apologies I was talking about fl_logbook as per the subject of the message.
                  I have Fldigi on a second machine that does not connect to the radio
                  when I get time I will have a play and see if the instructions do work.
                  Assuming someone else has not cleared things up by then.
                  73 Roger
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 26 8:15 AM
                    guyknick wrote:
                    > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, roger g6ckr <radio@...> wrote:
                    >> I thought typing the frequency in if not connected to the radio was the
                    >> right thing to do. You have the type the rest of the details.
                    >> You could have a list in a text editor open so you can copy and paste.
                    >> You paste with a third mouse button click (or left and right together if
                    >> only a 2 button mouse) it works I just tried it.
                    >> OK to qualify, tested on Ubuntu 7.10 32 bit YMMV.
                    >> 73 Roger
                    >> G6CKR

                    >>> That works for fldigi, but not fl_logbook....sorry.
                    >>>
                    >>> But to your credit, you are one of a handful that actually took
                    > the time
                    >>> to read the help file........thanks
                    >>>
                    >>> BTW you might want to look at Xlog. But I'm afraid you will get
                    > the same
                    >>> results.
                    >>>
                    >>> Ed W3NR

                    > I appreciate your comments.
                    >
                    > So far, I have been unable to enter frequency/band information into
                    > the QSO data portion of the fl_digi page by any cut/copy&paste
                    > technique that I can think of.
                    >
                    > My only recourse seems to be by means of editing and updating each of
                    > the entries in the fl_book itself unless there is another way someone
                    > can figure out. Incidentally, I am running OS Mepis 7.0.
                    >
                    > Do I take it correctly that the information in the material quoted
                    > earlier from the fldigi help manual is irrelevant?
                    >
                    > Thanks for all the help.
                    >
                    > Guy W3RJA

                    Sorry, I mis-understood what you were looking for. If you look in
                    ./fldigi you will see a file called "frequencies.txt". This is the file
                    you want to edit. Be sure to follow the format that is there now.

                    I have attached a screenshot for you. The drop down menu is accessed by
                    clicking on the arrow just to the right of the display. I also have a
                    shot of how this is saved in fl_logbook.

                    HTH

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 26 8:17 AM

                      So far, I have been unable to enter frequency/band information into
                      the QSO data portion of the fl_digi page by any cut/copy&paste
                      technique that I can think of.

                      My only recourse seems to be by means of editing and updating each of
                      the entries in the fl_book itself  unless there is another way someone
                      can figure out. Incidentally, I am running OS Mepis 7.0.

                      Do I take it correctly that the information in the material quoted
                      earlier from the fldigi help manual is irrelevant?

                      Thanks for all the help.

                      Guy W3RJA

                      You are doing something wrong or not iaw the help manual Guy.

                      Just to test I did the following to force a fresh configuration that does not use either hamlib or rigcat.

                      fldigi --config-dir fldigi.test

                      This created a new configuration folder called fldigi.test in my home directory (~).

                      I then created the required frequencies.txt file that is attached.  This is an ASCII text file that you can edit with gedit, kedit etc.  It contains several frequency lines including:

                      14070000

                      Here are two screen snippets that show how the 14070000 is used in populating the frequency field in the qso area.

                      The pull down combo box that contains 14070 has been selected.  The waterfall cursor is set to 708 Hz.  And the frequency field in the qso area shows 14070.708 (KHz)  That is the number that will be sent to the xlog or fl_logbook when save is pressed.  The frequencies field is a computed field and NOT editable by the user.

                      A logging file is also created in the configuration directory and appended to each time that the save button is pressed.  It is an ADIF file and named "fldigi.adif".  I've attached an example of what that file contains.

                      I hope you are able to get this aspect working satisfactorily for you.  In either case please report back to the group on your progress.

                      73, Dave, W1HKJ

                    • roger g6ckr
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 26 4:03 PM
                        On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 10:17 -0500, w1hkj wrote:

                        > The pull down combo box that contains 14070 has been selected. The
                        > waterfall cursor is set to 708 Hz. And the frequency field in the qso
                        > area shows 14070.708 (KHz) That is the number that will be sent to
                        > the xlog or fl_logbook when save is pressed. The frequencies field is
                        > a computed field and NOT editable by the user.

                        And I have just discovered that you can edit the drop down box once you
                        have selected a value so you don't need many entries for each band.

                        I should say I'm running the latest beta so if that does not work for
                        you it means Dave has sneaked it in and it will be in the next release.
                        73 Roger
                        G6CKR
                      • Joe Barr
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 26 4:06 PM
                          cq now on 14083

                          On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 00:03 +0100, roger g6ckr wrote:
                          > On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 10:17 -0500, w1hkj wrote:
                          > >

                          > > The pull down combo box that contains 14070 has been selected. The
                          > > waterfall cursor is set to 708 Hz. And the frequency field in the qso
                          > > area shows 14070.708 (KHz) That is the number that will be sent to
                          > > the xlog or fl_logbook when save is pressed. The frequencies field is
                          > > a computed field and NOT editable by the user.
                          >
                          > And I have just discovered that you can edit the drop down box once you
                          > have selected a value so you don't need many entries for each band.
                          >
                          > I should say I'm running the latest beta so if that does not work for
                          > you it means Dave has sneaked it in and it will be in the next release.
                          > 73 Roger
                          > G6CKR

                        • roger g6ckr
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 26 4:28 PM
                            Tonight the noise floor on 20M is right down at S2 the most closed I
                            have see it in a long while.
                            Ah well there is always tomorrow during daylight ;-)
                            73 Roger
                            G6CKR
                            On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 18:06 -0500, Joe Barr wrote:
                            > cq now on 14083
                            >

                            > On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 00:03 +0100, roger g6ckr wrote:
                            > > On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 10:17 -0500, w1hkj wrote:
                            > > >

                            > > > The pull down combo box that contains 14070 has been selected. The
                            > > > waterfall cursor is set to 708 Hz. And the frequency field in the qso
                            > > > area shows 14070.708 (KHz) That is the number that will be sent to
                            > > > the xlog or fl_logbook when save is pressed. The frequencies field is
                            > > > a computed field and NOT editable by the user.
                            > >
                            > > And I have just discovered that you can edit the drop down box once you
                            > > have selected a value so you don't need many entries for each band.
                            > >
                            > > I should say I'm running the latest beta so if that does not work for
                            > > you it means Dave has sneaked it in and it will be in the next release.
                            > > 73 Roger
                            > > G6CKR

                          • guyknick
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 29 2:17 PM

                              > guyknick wrote:
                              > > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, roger g6ckr <radio@> wrote:
                              > >> I thought typing the frequency in if not connected to the radio
                              was the
                              > >> right thing to do. You have the type the rest of the details.
                              > >> You could have a list in a text editor open so you can copy and
                              paste.
                              > >> You paste with a third mouse button click (or left and right
                              together if
                              > >> only a 2 button mouse) it works I just tried it.
                              > >> OK to qualify, tested on Ubuntu 7.10 32 bit YMMV.
                              > >> 73 Roger
                              > >> G6CKR

                              > > the time

                              > > the same

                              > > I appreciate your comments.
                              > >
                              > > So far, I have been unable to enter frequency/band information into
                              > > the QSO data portion of the fl_digi page by any cut/copy&paste
                              > > technique that I can think of.
                              > >
                              > > My only recourse seems to be by means of editing and updating each of
                              > > the entries in the fl_book itself unless there is another way someone
                              > > can figure out. Incidentally, I am running OS Mepis 7.0.
                              > >
                              > > Do I take it correctly that the information in the material quoted
                              > > earlier from the fldigi help manual is irrelevant?
                              > >
                              > > Thanks for all the help.
                              > >
                              > > Guy W3RJA
                              >
                              > Sorry, I mis-understood what you were looking for. If you look in
                              > ./fldigi you will see a file called "frequencies.txt". This is the
                              file
                              > you want to edit. Be sure to follow the format that is there now.
                              >
                              > I have attached a screenshot for you. The drop down menu is accessed by
                              > clicking on the arrow just to the right of the display. I also have a
                              > shot of how this is saved in fl_logbook.
                              >
                              > HTH
                              >
                              > Ed W3NR

                              I see that there have been a few more comments offered and I
                              appreciate the responses.

                              I still haven't got it working. I'm responding here primarily because
                              you, and Dave as well, have provided screen snapshots. That is
                              wonderful for you to do that but -- in neither case can I retrieve the
                              images despite using a variety of browsers and systems!

                              Now there are two issues that I need cleared up:

                              Dave was not clear as to the frequencies.txt file was to go. I believe
                              that the manual called for it to go in /.fldigi, a folder that I could
                              find and into which I put my two-line file. Is the ./fldigi you
                              mention correct or a typo? (I also have a duplicate file -
                              frequencies.def as per the manual in there as well. Seems as though
                              the .txt is the appointed file?)

                              As to the second issue -- the "drop down menu" you mention above and
                              the "combo box" that Dave mentions. I presume that entity should
                              display the frequency choices but I have yet to be able institute any
                              such action. Hoping that this is not evidence of being thick in the
                              head, I would like to be enlightened as to how I should be able to
                              display the drop down menu. (I had rather hoped to see what that
                              looked like in one of the several snapshots that haven't materialized
                              for me.)

                              I hope that we are approaching the end the extensive we are eating up
                              on this rather trivial point!

                              Thanks a meg!

                              Guy W3RJA
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 29 5:00 PM
                                > I see that there have been a few more comments offered and I
                                > appreciate the responses.
                                >
                                > I still haven't got it working. I'm responding here primarily because
                                > you, and Dave as well, have provided screen snapshots. That is
                                > wonderful for you to do that but -- in neither case can I retrieve the
                                > images despite using a variety of browsers and systems!
                                >
                                > Now there are two issues that I need cleared up:
                                >
                                > Dave was not clear as to the frequencies.txt file was to go. I believe
                                > that the manual called for it to go in /.fldigi, a folder that I could
                                > find and into which I put my two-line file. Is the ./fldigi you
                                > mention correct or a typo? (I also have a duplicate file -
                                > frequencies.def as per the manual in there as well. Seems as though
                                > the .txt is the appointed file?)
                                >
                                > As to the second issue -- the "drop down menu" you mention above and
                                > the "combo box" that Dave mentions. I presume that entity should
                                > display the frequency choices but I have yet to be able institute any
                                > such action. Hoping that this is not evidence of being thick in the
                                > head, I would like to be enlightened as to how I should be able to
                                > display the drop down menu. (I had rather hoped to see what that
                                > looked like in one of the several snapshots that haven't materialized
                                > for me.)
                                >
                                > I hope that we are approaching the end the extensive we are eating up
                                > on this rather trivial point!
                                >
                                > Thanks a meg!
                                >
                                > Guy W3RJA

                                Ok. lets see what we can do here. To view an image sent as an
                                attachment you should only need to double-click the attachment and
                                then after a window opens hit Okay.

                                Lets start with which Linux are you using..Ubuntu..Debian..Mandriva ??
                                Then I need to know what versions of fldigi and fl_logbook you are using.

                                The frequencies.txt file is created when you first run fldigi, you do
                                not need to create the file, just edit the existing one. The file
                                resides in the .fldigi folder.

                                All of this can be easily resolved, if you can provide the info from
                                above.

                                Ed W3NR
                              • guyknick
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 30 6:32 AM
                                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <autek@...> wrote:

                                  > > I see that there have been a few more comments offered and I
                                  > > appreciate the responses.
                                  > >
                                  > > I still haven't got it working. I'm responding here primarily because
                                  > > you, and Dave as well, have provided screen snapshots. That is
                                  > > wonderful for you to do that but -- in neither case can I retrieve the
                                  > > images despite using a variety of browsers and systems!
                                  > >
                                  > > Now there are two issues that I need cleared up:
                                  > >
                                  > > Dave was not clear as to the frequencies.txt file was to go. I believe
                                  > > that the manual called for it to go in /.fldigi, a folder that I could
                                  > > find and into which I put my two-line file. Is the ./fldigi you
                                  > > mention correct or a typo? (I also have a duplicate file -
                                  > > frequencies.def as per the manual in there as well. Seems as though
                                  > > the .txt is the appointed file?)
                                  > >
                                  > > As to the second issue -- the "drop down menu" you mention above and
                                  > > the "combo box" that Dave mentions. I presume that entity should
                                  > > display the frequency choices but I have yet to be able institute any
                                  > > such action. Hoping that this is not evidence of being thick in the
                                  > > head, I would like to be enlightened as to how I should be able to
                                  > > display the drop down menu. (I had rather hoped to see what that
                                  > > looked like in one of the several snapshots that haven't materialized
                                  > > for me.)
                                  > >
                                  > > I hope that we are approaching the end the extensive we are eating up
                                  > > on this rather trivial point!
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks a meg!
                                  > >
                                  > > Guy W3RJA
                                  > >

                                  > Ok. lets see what we can do here. To view an image sent as an
                                  > attachment you should only need to double-click the attachment and
                                  > then after a window opens hit Okay.
                                  >
                                  > Lets start with which Linux are you using..Ubuntu..Debian..Mandriva ??
                                  > Then I need to know what versions of fldigi and fl_logbook you are
                                  using.

                                  > The frequencies.txt file is created when you first run fldigi, you do
                                  > not need to create the file, just edit the existing one. The file
                                  > resides in the .fldigi folder.
                                  >
                                  > All of this can be easily resolved, if you can provide the info from
                                  > above.
                                  >
                                  > Ed W3NR

                                  Ed:

                                  As for attachments: Double clicking never got me anything. Text in the
                                  placeholder:
                                  "Attachment(not stored)
                                  ss1.png
                                  Type:
                                  image.png"

                                  OS: Mepis (Debian) 7.0
                                  fldigi 2.10.2
                                  fl_logbook v2.5

                                  Hope that this helps.

                                  Guy W3RJA
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 30 6:14 PM
                                    guyknick wrote:

                                    > As for attachments: Double clicking never got me anything. Text in the
                                    > placeholder:
                                    > "Attachment(not stored)
                                    > ss1.png
                                    > Type:
                                    > image.png"
                                    >
                                    > OS: Mepis (Debian) 7.0
                                    > fldigi 2.10.2
                                    > fl_logbook v2.5
                                    >
                                    > Hope that this helps.
                                    >
                                    > Guy W3RJA

                                    Guy, let me get back to you in the morning. I spent the day with 2
                                    friends taking down an 80 foot tower. I'm really dragging you know what.

                                    You have given me enough information to work with and we should have you
                                    up to full speed in a day.....or 2 at the most.

                                    Ed W3NR
                                  • guyknick
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 4, 2008

                                      > guyknick wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > As for attachments: Double clicking never got me anything. Text in the
                                      > > placeholder:

                                      > > "Attachment(not stored)
                                      > > ss1.png
                                      > > Type:
                                      > > image.png"
                                      > >
                                      > > OS: Mepis (Debian) 7.0
                                      > > fldigi 2.10.2
                                      > > fl_logbook v2.5
                                      > >
                                      > > Hope that this helps.
                                      > >
                                      > > Guy W3RJA
                                      > >

                                      > Guy, let me get back to you in the morning. I spent the day with 2
                                      > friends taking down an 80 foot tower. I'm really dragging you know what.
                                      >
                                      > You have given me enough information to work with and we should have you

                                      Ed,

                                      With tongue in cheek,I'm going to be cheeky enough to ask which morning.

                                      Hope that you have a better day.

                                      73

                                      Guy W3RJA

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 4, 2008
                                        guyknick wrote:

                                        > Ed,
                                        >
                                        > With tongue in cheek,I'm going to be cheeky enough to ask which morning.
                                        >
                                        > Hope that you have a better day.
                                        >
                                        > 73
                                        >
                                        > Guy W3RJA

                                        Guy, Dave had sent you the complete instructions on how to set-up the
                                        logging for what you want to do.

                                        Since you read the list on yahoo instead of an email application, you
                                        will not be able to open any screenshots or attachments as yahoo does
                                        not allow either.

                                        Here are the instructions again. Any part you don't fully understand, ask.

                                        From the fldig help file::

                                        If you are not using a hamlib compatible transceiver you will probably
                                        want to substitute your own choice of base frequencies for that which is
                                        defaulted in the program.

                                        The frequencies definition file is a simple single entry per line text
                                        file that describes the frequencies that you will want to put into the
                                        band select combo widget.

                                        The file is named "frequencies.def" and should be placed in the
                                        $HOME/.fldigi directory (remember that dot!).

                                        A typical file might contain:

                                        You can create this file using any one of the several text editors
                                        available in your Linux distro.

                                        The list will only be read at program startup so you will need to do a
                                        little planning before your operating schedule.

                                        If you are not using a Hamlib or memmap rig control interface

                                        * The Band specifier combo box can be filled in manually or
                                        selected from the pull down list.
                                        o The pull down box will be filled with the program defaults
                                        or from the frequencies.def file that the user creates and stores in the
                                        $HOME/.fldigi directory.

                                        Make sure you follow the format as described.

                                        Ed W3NR
                                      • guyknick
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 5, 2008

                                          > guyknick wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > Ed,
                                          > >
                                          > > With tongue in cheek,I'm going to be cheeky enough to ask which
                                          morning.

                                          > > Hope that you have a better day.
                                          > >
                                          > > 73
                                          > >
                                          > > Guy W3RJA
                                          >
                                          > Guy, Dave had sent you the complete instructions on how to set-up the
                                          > logging for what you want to do.
                                          >
                                          > Since you read the list on yahoo instead of an email application, you
                                          > will not be able to open any screenshots or attachments as yahoo does
                                          > not allow either.
                                          >
                                          > Here are the instructions again. Any part you don't fully
                                          understand, ask.

                                          > From the fldig help file::
                                          >

                                          > If you are not using a hamlib compatible transceiver you will probably
                                          > want to substitute your own choice of base frequencies for that
                                          which is
                                          > defaulted in the program.
                                          >
                                          > The frequencies definition file is a simple single entry per line text
                                          > file that describes the frequencies that you will want to put into the
                                          > band select combo widget.
                                          >
                                          > The file is named "frequencies.def" and should be placed in the
                                          > $HOME/.fldigi directory (remember that dot!).
                                          >
                                          > A typical file might contain:
                                          >
                                          > 3580
                                          > 7030
                                          > 7070
                                          > 14030
                                          > 14070
                                          > 18100
                                          > 21070
                                          >
                                          > You can create this file using any one of the several text editors
                                          > available in your Linux distro.
                                          >
                                          > The list will only be read at program startup so you will need to do a
                                          > little planning before your operating schedule.
                                          >
                                          > If you are not using a Hamlib or memmap rig control interface
                                          >
                                          > * The Band specifier combo box can be filled in manually or
                                          > selected from the pull down list.
                                          > o The pull down box will be filled with the program defaults
                                          > or from the frequencies.def file that the user creates and stores in
                                          the
                                          > $HOME/.fldigi directory.
                                          >

                                          > Make sure you follow the format as described.
                                          >
                                          > Ed W3NR

                                          Ed,

                                          Thank you for your remarks.

                                          I had already followed Dave's instructions for creating and inserting
                                          a frequencies.def file (populated with the two band's frequencies that
                                          I work 40m 7070 and 20m 14070)in the .fildi directory located in my
                                          home directory.

                                          What has not been explained to me so far as I can tell is how what is
                                          described as the "band specifier combo box" is made to appear.
                                          Imagining that it is a drop-down menu, I have tried the darndest by
                                          every manner that I can think of to get a drop-down menu, let alone
                                          one with two frequencies.

                                          If this can't be solved in a straight forward way then maybe I need to
                                          be sending somebody a screen snapshot of whatever screen in which this
                                          is supposed to appear. Give me an e-mail address and I will respond.

                                          I suppose I need to inform you about a procedural matter that reflects
                                          my relative newness to Linux systems that may have a bearing.

                                          I am launching fl_logbook and fldigi individually as that seemed to be
                                          the only way to get them running. Maybe there is some way that I
                                          should be "chaining" (for want of a better term) the two on a single
                                          command line to get the system launched.

                                          Sorry that this is so long drawn out. I look forward to getting out of
                                          your hair and I presume you think likewise!

                                          Guy W3RJA
                                        • Stelios Bounanos
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 5, 2008
                                            Hello Guy,

                                            [snip]

                                            > What has not been explained to me so far as I can tell is how what is
                                            > described as the "band specifier combo box" is made to appear.
                                            > Imagining that it is a drop-down menu, I have tried the darndest by
                                            > every manner that I can think of to get a drop-down menu, let alone
                                            > one with two frequencies.

                                            The drop-down menu that lists the frequencies defined in
                                            ~/.fldigi/frequencies.def can be found at the top of fldigi's main
                                            window, below Frequency and on the left of Notes. It will appear (and is
                                            useful) only when rig control is disabled and fldigi has no way of
                                            reading the frequency from the radio.

                                            Fldigi works fine without rig control but has some useful features which
                                            depend on that functionality. Apart from automatic frequency logging,
                                            the frequency/mode list in the Rig Control window, and the waterfall QSY
                                            and M buttons come to mind. Is your radio not supported by hamlib or
                                            rigxml?

                                            [snip]

                                            > I am launching fl_logbook and fldigi individually as that seemed to be
                                            > the only way to get them running. Maybe there is some way that I
                                            > should be "chaining" (for want of a better term) the two on a single
                                            > command line to get the system launched.

                                            No, they don't need to be run in any special way AFAIK.

                                            73,
                                            Stelios, M0GLD.
                                          • Bob Snyder
                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 5, 2008
                                              guyknick wrote:
                                              What has not been explained to me so far as I can tell is how what is
                                              described as the "band specifier combo box" is made to appear.
                                              Imagining that it is a drop-down menu, I have tried the darndest by
                                              every manner that I can think of to get a drop-down menu, let alone
                                              one with two frequencies.
                                              This is the rectangular window to the left of the down arrow in the image below:

                                              After  you press the down arrow it looks like this:

                                              You can also enter the frequencies into the window directly without the pulldown list or the frequencies.txt file

                                              Hope this helps,

                                              Bob  W6CP

                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                                                guyknick wrote:

                                                > Ed,
                                                >
                                                > Thank you for your remarks.
                                                >
                                                > I had already followed Dave's instructions for creating and inserting
                                                > a frequencies.def file (populated with the two band's frequencies that
                                                > I work 40m 7070 and 20m 14070)in the .fildi directory located in my
                                                > home directory.
                                                >
                                                > What has not been explained to me so far as I can tell is how what is
                                                > described as the "band specifier combo box" is made to appear.
                                                > Imagining that it is a drop-down menu, I have tried the darndest by
                                                > every manner that I can think of to get a drop-down menu, let alone
                                                > one with two frequencies.
                                                >
                                                > If this can't be solved in a straight forward way then maybe I need to
                                                > be sending somebody a screen snapshot of whatever screen in which this
                                                > is supposed to appear. Give me an e-mail address and I will respond.
                                                >
                                                > I suppose I need to inform you about a procedural matter that reflects
                                                > my relative newness to Linux systems that may have a bearing.
                                                >
                                                > I am launching fl_logbook and fldigi individually as that seemed to be
                                                > the only way to get them running. Maybe there is some way that I
                                                > should be "chaining" (for want of a better term) the two on a single
                                                > command line to get the system launched.
                                                >
                                                > Sorry that this is so long drawn out. I look forward to getting out of
                                                > your hair and I presume you think likewise!
                                                >
                                                > Guy W3RJA
                                                >

                                                > ------------------------------------

                                                Guy, you can launch either in any order, I open one then the other, in
                                                no particular order. The drop-down is only in fldigi. Once you have
                                                finished the QSO you need to click on the "save" button to the far right
                                                on the entry window in fldigi. This will automatically enter the QSO in
                                                fl_logbook.

                                                I have uploaded a frequencies.def file and several screenshots for you
                                                to linuxham at yahoo. Make sure your .def is the same as I uploaded. The
                                                screenshots will show you how fldigi and fl_logbook should look if you
                                                have setup the .def correctly.

                                                On the linuxham web page on the left you will see "Files", click on that
                                                and then on the next page, click on "FAQ", the .def and screenshots are
                                                in the list.

                                                Ed W3NR
                                              • guyknick
                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 6, 2008

                                                  > guyknick wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > Ed,
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Thank you for your remarks.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I had already followed Dave's instructions for creating and inserting
                                                  > > a frequencies.def file (populated with the two band's frequencies that
                                                  > > I work 40m 7070 and 20m 14070)in the .fildi directory located in my
                                                  > > home directory.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > What has not been explained to me so far as I can tell is how what is
                                                  > > described as the "band specifier combo box" is made to appear.
                                                  > > Imagining that it is a drop-down menu, I have tried the darndest by
                                                  > > every manner that I can think of to get a drop-down menu, let alone
                                                  > > one with two frequencies.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > If this can't be solved in a straight forward way then maybe I need to
                                                  > > be sending somebody a screen snapshot of whatever screen in which this
                                                  > > is supposed to appear. Give me an e-mail address and I will respond.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I suppose I need to inform you about a procedural matter that reflects
                                                  > > my relative newness to Linux systems that may have a bearing.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I am launching fl_logbook and fldigi individually as that seemed to be
                                                  > > the only way to get them running. Maybe there is some way that I
                                                  > > should be "chaining" (for want of a better term) the two on a single
                                                  > > command line to get the system launched.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Sorry that this is so long drawn out. I look forward to getting out of
                                                  > > your hair and I presume you think likewise!
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Guy W3RJA
                                                  > >

                                                  > > ------------------------------------
                                                  >
                                                  > Guy, you can launch either in any order, I open one then the other, in
                                                  > no particular order. The drop-down is only in fldigi. Once you have
                                                  > finished the QSO you need to click on the "save" button to the far
                                                  right
                                                  > on the entry window in fldigi. This will automatically enter the QSO in
                                                  > fl_logbook.
                                                  >
                                                  > I have uploaded a frequencies.def file and several screenshots for you
                                                  > to linuxham at yahoo. Make sure your .def is the same as I uploaded.
                                                  The
                                                  > screenshots will show you how fldigi and fl_logbook should look if you
                                                  > have setup the .def correctly.
                                                  >
                                                  > On the linuxham web page on the left you will see "Files", click on
                                                  that
                                                  > and then on the next page, click on "FAQ", the .def and screenshots are
                                                  > in the list.
                                                  >
                                                  > Ed W3NR

                                                  Aha!

                                                  'Tis said that "a picture is worth a thousand words."

                                                  We've gone a long ways toward that thousand words haven't we?!

                                                  I see from the pictures that I don't even have the band specifier
                                                  combo box on the line next to Notes.

                                                  I'll stand by for news on where we go from here

                                                  Guy W3RJA
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                                                    > Aha!
                                                    >
                                                    > 'Tis said that "a picture is worth a thousand words."
                                                    >
                                                    > We've gone a long ways toward that thousand words haven't we?!
                                                    >
                                                    > I see from the pictures that I don't even have the band specifier
                                                    > combo box on the line next to Notes.
                                                    >
                                                    > I'll stand by for news on where we go from here
                                                    >
                                                    > Guy W3RJA

                                                    Do you have either of "hamlib", "memmap", or rigCAT set as the rig
                                                    control interface? None of those should be enabled for the
                                                    frequencies.def and the missing widgets to be present.

                                                    What rig are you interfacing to and what is the interface h/w configuration?