Re: [linuxham] Re: Fedora 8

  • Rick Kunath
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 28 5:34 PM
      Graham Campbell wrote:

      > I see two branches to this reply.
      > 1) If you are simply compiling source (possible with mods) to create a
      > binary rpm and install it on your own system, I think the dangers of
      > doing it with root privileges in the system area are minimal. Fedora
      > uses /usr/src/redhat for that.
      > 2) However if you are creating a package to be distributed to others, or
      > are not confident of the original source, or are simply somewhat
      > paranoid, then building as a non-privileged user is definitely
      > appropriate. Fedora has tools for simplifying this. The classic example
      > is a kernel rebuild. See:
      > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel
      > for a detailed How-To.
      >
      > The tools you need are in the packages rpmdevtools and yum-utils. They
      > are:
      > rpmdev-setuptree
      > yumdownloader
      > yum-builddep
      > and rpmbuild
      >
      > The only time you need privileges is running yum-builddep which installs
      > any packages needed for the source compile.
      >
      > I have just built the 2.10 release using these tools and the resulting
      > rpm installs the same set of files of the same length as the distributed
      > rpm (64-bit version)

      Yes, I understand.

      I do all of my rpm rebuilding on Mandriva in a local buildroot
      environment. Mandriva has similar local buildroot setup scripts that
      make setting up the environment a snap.

      It's generally never necessary not to use the buildroot, especially as
      it is so easy to set up and then you don't have to worry about a messed
      up system should the odd thing go wrong.

      At least with a local buildroot, I don't ever have to worry.

      I appreciate the Fedora details :)

      Rick Kunath, k9ao