Re: [linuxham] Fldigi Version 0.921 beta posted

  • Joe Veldhuis
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2006
      It should be expanded to at least 3300 Hz. Most rigs (including my 857)
      do roll off above ~2300 Hz but signals are still receivable up to at
      least 3000, and strong ones will come in above that.

      -Joe, KD8ATU

      David Freese wrote:
      > You will notice the waterfall and spectrum displays are limited to
      > 3000 Hz display bandwidth. I was displaying 4096 Hz the full FFT data
      > buffer before. Most transceivers do not have greater than 3000 Hz BW
      > in SSB or data modes ergo the change. Please let me know if you think
      > it needs to be wider.
    • Michael Heim
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2006
        Hi all...

        A couple hours ago, I downloaded and installed fldigi.  Went in without any problem the first try, after reading what dependencies to install.

        Without reading any documentation, I ran the program, and tuned around on 40 meter PSK31.

        Now for the REALLY interesting part...

        I heard a CQ from a familiar call.  I know I had seen it before.  Being I'm new to the group here, I didnt recognise W1HKJ right away.  was WAY too kewl to have worked Dave at random as the first contact using fldigi!  I was totally flying by the seat of my pants thru the QSO, as I hadnt read on how to operate the software as yet.  Still havent, as a matter of fact.

        Anyway, being I didnt check my email until now, he told me in the QSO there was an upgrade which I just downloaded and compiled.

        I do want to say, this is the best, most user-friendly linux based digital mode program I have seen so far.  I like the layout.  Its functional and appears quite easy to use so far.  Everything you need is right there...nothing more, nothing less.  Just a good, operational box to QSO in.  Excellent work.

        I did have one small problem...

        When I change modes to Olivia, I get this in my terminal:

        terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
          what():  St9bad_alloc
        Aborted
        mike@shack:~/Desktop/fldigi/Release$

        and the program goes "poof".

        This is with the new release, as well as in version .92
        Wonder if anyone else had or has reported this?  Or is it something that I may not have configured properly?

        All of the other modes that I've tried seem ok.

        Again, a FB piece of software.  I think this  is a keeper, and I'm planning on using this as the primary digital piece in linux.  Thank you Dave and group for an excellent program!

        Mike, kd0ar

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 7, 2006
          _,___
          Mike,

          If you compile the program from the main directory as:

          make

          you will get a Debug version of the program in the Debug directory directly under the main one.

          if you:

          make CFG=Release

          you will get a Release version in the Release directory.

          Create a Debug version and then run from with the gnu debugger

          gdb Debug/fldigi

          that should give you a little more info on where the fault occurs for you.  The Olivia modem code is a direct borrow from gmfsk and is originally written by the inventor of Olivia.

          Report your findings back direct to me at

          w1hkj@...

          so the Yahoo group isn't cluttered up with debug droppings HI.

          Glad that you like the program so far.

          It was nice to QSO with you this evening.

          73's  Dave, W1HKJ
        • k9ao
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 8, 2006
            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "David Freese" <w1hkj@...> wrote:

            > You will notice the waterfall and spectrum displays are limited to
            > 3000 Hz display bandwidth. I was displaying 4096 Hz the full FFT data
            > buffer before. Most transceivers do not have greater than 3000 Hz BW
            > in SSB or data modes ergo the change. Please let me know if you think
            > it needs to be wider.

            I got fldigi compiled successfully on Mandrake 10.1 using your clear
            instructions and FLTK 1.1.7 with threading enabled. I'll be testing it
            on Mandriva 2006 later on tonight after I get home. I don't have Tx
            here at work, but do have audio working fine.

            I did notice one anomaly with the DominoEX 8 setting several times in
            that it came up with really low tones (sub 500 Hz), and wouldn't shift
            the tones as the receive area was moved on the waterfall to match.
            After a few restarts it started working again. The other DominoEX
            modes were OK. I'll have to see how repeatable it is.

            I am also getting the Olivia crash. The Release executable crashes with:

            ./fldigi
            terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
            what(): St9bad_alloc

            I did compile the Debug version, but the Debug version runs Olivia
            fine. No crashes. Also, nothing special about any gdb output at all.
            All normal.

            Not sure if that helps at all.

            I would also vote to widen the upper end of the waterfall to 3.3, or
            make it variable somehow. 3.3 seems to be about the max any radio will
            Tx anyway, so it's likely a good compromise.

            I hope to have more later on if I can manage to get some time later at
            home.

            Rick Kunath, k9ao