Re: [linuxham] NEW PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT - FLDIGI 0.92 beta

  • Hamish Moffatt
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
      On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 03:47:30PM -0000, David Freese wrote:
      > I have just posted a new digital modem program for Linux. You will
      > need to read the on-line help files before running off and compiling
      > this new program for installation on your system. Fldigi is written
      > entirely in C++ and uses the Fast Light Tool Kit (Fltk) gui libraries
      > for the user front-end. It provides rig support via hamlib or the
      > W1HKJ CAT programs.
      >
      > Please provide feedback on the compilation, installation and use.
      > Fldigi has some unique features that are not found in any other
      > digital modem program for Linux.

      Dave,

      I'm interested to hear the advantages of the Fltk interface over GTK+
      of gMFSK? Are there other benefits in fldigi over gMFSK and are you
      planning to devote all your efforts to fldigi instead in the future?

      Do you have screenshots? My impression is that Fltk programs don't look
      very interesting so I would welcome correction on this..

      73
      Hamish
      --
      Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
        Hamish Moffatt wrote:

        On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 03:47:30PM -0000, David Freese wrote:
        > I have just posted a new digital modem program for Linux. You will
        > need to read the on-line help files before running off and compiling
        > this new program for installation on your system. Fldigi is written
        > entirely in C++ and uses the Fast Light Tool Kit (Fltk) gui libraries
        > for the user front-end. It provides rig support via hamlib or the
        > W1HKJ CAT programs.
        >
        > Please provide feedback on the compilation, installation and use.
        > Fldigi has some unique features that are not found in any other
        > digital modem program for Linux.

        Dave,

        I'm interested to hear the advantages of the Fltk interface over GTK+
        of gMFSK? Are there other benefits in fldigi over gMFSK and are you
        planning to devote all your efforts to fldigi instead in the future?

        Do you have screenshots? My impression is that Fltk programs don't look
        very interesting so I would welcome correction on this..

        73
        Hamish
        --
        Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@debian. org> <hamish@cloud. net.au>

        Fltk can be a bit spartan compared to code written using some other gui development libraries.  In my implementation of Fldigi I have chosen not to overburden the application with eye candy.  So you will not see large buttons with icons.  I also find that things like launch bars and tool bars use up more window real estate than necessary.  Fltk can be written to incorporate all of these gui features and more if you choose.  The revision level 2.x of Fltk supports themes etc.

        There are many screen shots contained in the on-line help that is accessible on the main web site, http://www.w1hkj.com.

        I still plan on supporting gmfsk and in fact if you study the DominoEx code in Fldigi you will see the very strong resemblance to the code you wrote for gmfsk, Hamish.  I planned on asking if you would want to modify the gmfsk DominoEx variant iaw with the fldigi changes.  The transmit code has been much simplified from the one you submitted for gmfsk.  I would be interested in your comments on the changes.

        Some of the gmfsk updates were in fact generated during my early development efforts for fldigi.  I plan on continuing that synergy in the future.

        Some reasons that I think the fldigi approach is better than the one taken in gmfsk.
        • it is easier for me to separate the gui from the dsp processing, but in some instances the two have to be lock step
        • the fltk library source is 100% C++, so developing the dsp portion is a natural in C++
        • I would prefer to have the ANSI std compiler enforce the object oriented coding rules at compile time than have special code in the run time environment making the tests.  The later route is taken by all gtk applications.  It adds a burden to the run time processing.  RTTI can be added to fltk code if required.
        • fltk uses a very simple but fast message passing algorithm
        Some of the alpha testers have reported that fldigi copies better than gmfsk under very weak signal conditions.  I have not bench tested for that, so I think it may be circumstantial.

        On a separate matter.  I reported to you that the MFSK-8 code in gmfsk (and now in fldigi also) does not work correctly against either MultiPsk or Stream when I try them on sc-to-sc in a bench test.  Have you observed that to be a fact?  I tried corresponding with Nino Porcino, IZ8BLY, on the matter but never received a response from my email inquiries.  When I figure out what is wrong I will incorporate the fix in both programs.

        I hope that this helps to answer your questions Hamish.  Please feel free to ask via the group or direct to w1hkj@... or w1hkj@....

        73's,  Dave
        W1HKJ

      • Leigh L. Klotz, Jr.
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
          Thank you; I figured it out too.

          I used rpmbuild, but the fltk.spec file in the tarfile download from
          fltk.org does not have --enable-threads in the default config, so it's
          always going to be required to hand-configure fltk (or repackage).

          Leigh/WA5ZNU

          w1hkj wrote:
          > Fltk *must *be compiled for threads
          > Use:
          > ./configure --enable-threads
        • David Freese
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
            The Fltk 2.x configure file does enable threads by default. It would
            be nice if the 1.7 distro did the same. Fldigi may one of the first
            large programs placed in the GPL public domain that uses threads under
            Fltk.

            Dave
          • Leigh L. Klotz, Jr.
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
              OK, I got it to compile and run.
              Hamlib works and can read my rig.
              But I get nothing from the RX side.
              My sound device is /dev/dsp1.
              It seems to open it because gmfsk complains that it /dev/dsp1 is open.
              But the waterfall shows nothing.

              Any suggestions?
              Leigh/WA5ZNU
            • Leigh L. Klotz, Jr.
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
                OK, Success! On a quiet band the display showed nothing until I
                adjusted the signal range control.
                Leigh/WA5ZNU
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                  David Freese wrote:

                  > Please provide feedback on the compilation, installation and use.
                  > Fldigi has some unique features that are not found in any other
                  > digital modem program for Linux.
                  >
                  > 73s, Dave, W1HKJ

                  Dave, I get the following error and have no idea how to correct it.

                  configure: error: Configure could not find required X11 libraries
                  ./configure: line 10022: exit: aborting.: numeric argument required

                  Any ideas....Ubuntu 6.06 on a geb\neric Dell 1.0 gig.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                    Ed,

                    From your email it looks like you are having difficulty getting past
                    the ./configure on Fltk. Is that correct?

                    I'm not familiar with the Ubuntu distro, but I believe it is based on
                    Debian. Your path to the X11 libraries is either different or the
                    libraries are missing. I think it is more likely to be a path problem.

                    Assuming that the problem is during the pre-compile for Fltk, try
                    looking at the output of

                    ./configure --help

                    for more infor on the various parameters that can be passed to the
                    configure script.

                    Can anyone else who is familiar with Ubuntu help Ed?

                    Dave, W1HKJ
                  • Hamish Moffatt
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                      On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 06:21:49PM -0400, w1hkj wrote:
                      > From your email it looks like you are having difficulty getting past
                      > the ./configure on Fltk. Is that correct?
                      >
                      > I'm not familiar with the Ubuntu distro, but I believe it is based on
                      > Debian. Your path to the X11 libraries is either different or the
                      > libraries are missing. I think it is more likely to be a path problem.

                      I think missing -dev packages is the most likely problem.

                      At least libfltk1.1-dev is required, and it will depend on some X
                      headers which it also requires.

                      Hamish
                      --
                      Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                        w1hkj wrote:
                        > Ed,
                        >
                        > From your email it looks like you are having difficulty getting past
                        > the ./configure on Fltk. Is that correct?
                        >
                        > I'm not familiar with the Ubuntu distro, but I believe it is based on
                        > Debian. Your path to the X11 libraries is either different or the
                        > libraries are missing. I think it is more likely to be a path problem.
                        >
                        > Assuming that the problem is during the pre-compile for Fltk, try
                        > looking at the output of
                        >
                        > ./configure --help
                        >
                        > for more infor on the various parameters that can be passed to the
                        > configure script.
                        >
                        > Can anyone else who is familiar with Ubuntu help Ed?
                        >
                        > Dave, W1HKJ

                        I cannot compile the FLTK, line 1022 is looking for stdlib.h and it is
                        in /usr/include. Root has read/write, groups and user have read
                        permissions. I have no idea how to set the path if needed. What I do not
                        understand ./configure is telling me it has checked for stdlb.h and it
                        says yes. Would anyone care to take a look at my config.log and see if
                        they could help. ??