Re: [linuxham] VBdigi Interface

  • Walt DuBose
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 29, 2008
      kc2pmw wrote:
      > I have a question. What kind of interface is needed for the VBdigi
      > software? Do I need a RigBlaster type interface? I am new to radio(2
      > years w/ license in April) and I have never touched digital modes.
      > Thanks for you help.
      >
      > KC2PMW

      Andrew (or is it Andy?),

      I have NO idea if a RigBlaster Interface is required...however, I am going to
      guess, from what little I know about FlDigi, that you need only to connect your
      receiver speaker (keep the level very low) to the line input of your computer's
      sound card and feed the output of your computer's soundcard to your transmitter
      microphone input (keep the output from your sound card low to mid-level) and set
      you transmitter VOX to open/key as soon as it gets an audio tone from computer.

      You may have to configure ABDigi a bit as well as you computer audio but I think
      that is doable with little trouble. In the worse case, you should be able to
      use the RS-232 I/O to key a relay to key your transmitter.

      I HOPE this helps and won't slow you down from downloading ABDigi.

      At http://www.w1hkj.com/NBEMS/index.html there is a PDF and HTML help file for
      ABDigi. Try looking at them.

      Also, I would recommend downloading the entire NBEMS application to take
      advantage of the fill function of ABDigi.

      73,

      Walt/K5YFW
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
        kc2pmw wrote:
        > I have a question. What kind of interface is needed for the VBdigi
        > software? Do I need a RigBlaster type interface? I am new to radio(2
        > years w/ license in April) and I have never touched digital modes.
        > Thanks for you help.
        >
        > KC2PMW

        I would suggest that you Google "psk31 interfaces". Take the time and
        read through what is required. You will see they can range from simple
        to almost over-kill. They all do the same basic function, just depends
        on fancy you want to get. My homebrew interface is basically what Walt
        described, except I use serial port keying via a simple NPN switch. My
        second interface is a Donner Digital and is one that I would recommend.
        It works and works well with minimum cash outlay.