Re gMFSK patches

  • vk4bdj
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23 2:38 PM
      A few days ago there was a couple of messages re patches to gMFSK to
      add the work of Rein to the present tarball.....has this been done yet
      or are the patches available for general use.....i would like to keep
      my gMFSK right up to date as its the best all mode Linux program availabe

      David VK4BDJ
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 23 7:00 PM
        vk4bdj wrote:

        A few days ago there was a couple of messages re patches to gMFSK to
        add the work of Rein to the present tarball..... has this been done yet
        or are the patches available for general use.....i would like to keep
        my gMFSK right up to date as its the best all mode Linux program availabe

        David VK4BDJ

        The pskmail patches have been incorporated into the gmfsk-hkj tarball.  This version also includes changes to the RTTY automatic frequency control code and the RTTY scope presentation.  The scope now looks like what you would expect to see at the output of a frequency discriminator tracking FSK signals.  Try disabling the AFC and then moving the tracking frequency across the incoming signal.  You will see the +/- excursions shift up and down in the display.  When the signal is properly tuned the +/- excursions will be centered.  Now enable the AFC and the signal should track consistently in that position.

        Does anyone remember the old cross hair display that some of the RTTY demodulators used?  I think it would be possible to generate the equivalent with digital filters.  Would that be of interest or even needed.  The present RTTY code in gmfsk does a pretty good job in my opinion.

        Enjoy the new version.

        Dave, W1HKJ

      • Joe Veldhuis
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 23 10:54 PM
          Now THAT would be neat. Certainly worth a shot. Anyway, one area of
          improvement I'd like to see is in the CW decoder. Vojtech Bubnik, OK1IAK
          says he's written some code that greatly improves the reliability of the
          decoder, get in touch with him.

          Also, I have updated the patch I posted a few days ago to apply to the
          new tarball:
          http://www.electroblog.com:8090/~electrode/gmfsk.atu.7.diff.gz

          Two changes based on feedback: The MFSK idle mod has been yanked (was
          really just playing around), and the RTTY idle mod is now ifdef'd under
          WANT_TTY_MOD. I was working briefly on adding some checkboxes to the
          config dialog that allowed you to choose different behaviors at runtime
          (as well as the baudrate for PSK31) but soon gave up. If anyone thinks
          they can implement it, it would be VERY nice to have a baudrate spinbox
          and quadrature mode checkbox in the PSK31 config dialog. The European
          PSK Club has been talking about experimenting with various baudrates,
          notably 125 and 500. Would be nice to follow along without having to
          recompile for each new setting...

          -Joe, KD8ATU

          w1hkj wrote:
          > Does anyone remember the old cross hair display that some of the RTTY
          > demodulators used? I think it would be possible to generate the
          > equivalent with digital filters. Would that be of interest or even
          > needed. The present RTTY code in gmfsk does a pretty good job in my
          > opinion.
        • Rick Kunath
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 24 4:23 AM
            w1hkj wrote:

            > Does anyone remember the old cross hair display that some of the RTTY
            > demodulators used? I think it would be possible to generate the
            > equivalent with digital filters. Would that be of interest or even
            > needed. The present RTTY code in gmfsk does a pretty good job in my
            > opinion.

            I sure do remember using just that scope display.

            MMTTY has a display like that on it's screen.

            One of the nicest things about the old cross hair display is that it is
            well suited for using the radio tuning knob when tuning rather than the
            waterfall. Generally, when I an using RTTY I use the narrow filters in
            the rig and tune the VFO, not the waterfall. Doing that with the
            waterfall is hard most of the time, but watching the cross hair display
            is really easy. The rotation of the display makes zeroing in on a signal
            really easy.

            I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but it would really
            make RTTY operation using the VFO lots easier.

            Great job on the new changes...

            Rick Kunath, k9ao
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 24 4:55 AM
              Rick Kunath wrote:
              > w1hkj wrote:
              >
              >> Does anyone remember the old cross hair display that some of the RTTY
              >> demodulators used? I think it would be possible to generate the
              >> equivalent with digital filters. Would that be of interest or even
              >> needed. The present RTTY code in gmfsk does a pretty good job in my
              >> opinion.

              > I sure do remember using just that scope display.
              >
              > MMTTY has a display like that on it's screen.
              >
              > One of the nicest things about the old cross hair display is that it is
              > well suited for using the radio tuning knob when tuning rather than the
              > waterfall. Generally, when I an using RTTY I use the narrow filters in
              > the rig and tune the VFO, not the waterfall. Doing that with the
              > waterfall is hard most of the time, but watching the cross hair display
              > is really easy. The rotation of the display makes zeroing in on a signal
              > really easy.
              >
              > I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but it would really
              > make RTTY operation using the VFO lots easier.
              >
              > Great job on the new changes...
              >
              > Rick Kunath, k9ao

              I agree with Rick. The cross hairs would make RTTY tuning much easier.
              If its a doable, it would a welcome addition. 73