Re: [linuxham] Installing Tarballs

  • Warren Tobin
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2008
      Dave,

      Yes, that worked.  Still hadn't figured out what I was doing wrong.

      73

      Warren

      On Feb 3, 2008 5:14 AM, w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:

      Warren Tobin wrote:
      I found the little gear/cog thingy in the my-applications/bin
      directory

      so  .... I am guessing the standard installation that comes with
      this is a binary exe in that directory or I may be wrong.

      So, based on the information I am receiving, there  is no
      either what I would consider "standard" or a "direct" way
      to install these tarballs.  I received a suggestion that
      used ./make  ..... etc commands but they give me an
      error.  "directory not found" I guess.

      I suppose one solution would be to delete all the stuff
      on D:\ and start over, but I really wouldn't need to do that?
      Also, I still wouldnt know what I was doing.

      Is anyone else using EMC pup 3.01?

      Warren
      Warren,

      I think you are trying too hard with your EMCpup installation.  The easiest way to upgrade an installation of an executable and all of its required libraries is to install from the "pet" file.  That is why I created the pet files.  This is the reference on the www.w1hkj.com site:

      Pet Distribution for the EMCpup.3.01 release series

      The following Pet files can be loaded onto an existing Puppy 3.01 or used to upgrade a previously downloaded EMCpup-3.01.07.x release.  This is much faster if you already have a working Live CD for Puppy 3.01.  Just click on the file from the Puppy default browser and open using the Pet installer.  The Pet Menu system will be updated but you will need to restart your JWM window manager to see the changes.  You can then save your new installation or burn a new distribution CD.
      For a fully functioning EMC installation you will also need to download the latest version of Sylpheed using the Pet Installer.

      If you need to learn more about the pet installation process you can visit the following site:

      http://www.puppylinux.org

      73, Dave, W1HKJ

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2008
        Warren Tobin wrote:
        Dave,

        Yes, that worked.  Still hadn't figured out what I was doing wrong.

        73

        Warren
        Great !!  Don't worry about installing from a binary tarball unless you really need to.  The pet's take care of knowing where everything goes.