Installing Tarballs

  • tobinwarren
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2008
      I have fldigi 2.07 installed and would like to
      upgrade to 2.08. From the website it is a tar.gz
      (binary?) file.

      In searching the web, I cannot seem to find a
      step-by-step approach to install the files
      needed for the upgrade.

      I have tried to extract the downloaded files and
      still get 2.07 when I do the "About" in fldigi.

      It would be what I would consider a "standard install"

      Could someone guide me here?

      Thanks

      Warren (W0WT)
    • Rick Kunath
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2008
        Comments inline...

        tobinwarren wrote:
        > I have fldigi 2.07 installed and would like to
        > upgrade to 2.08. From the website it is a tar.gz
        > (binary?) file.

        There are two files there, the bin file is a stand-alone executable
        statically linked file, and the recommended file to use, the other file
        requires local compilation and installation, harder to do, but not
        needed for most folks. Just run the bin file.

        > In searching the web, I cannot seem to find a
        > step-by-step approach to install the files
        > needed for the upgrade.

        What distro are you running? How did you install version 2.07? What
        window manager (KDE, Gnome, something else)?

        Tarballs are just extracted, they are compressed archives. They can be
        extracted using the command line as well as by using GUI tools like Ark
        in KDE or File Roller in Gnome. (In KDE just right-click the tarball and
        select "extract here" from the context menu, it will be extracted in the
        directory where the tarball is located.)

        > I have tried to extract the downloaded files and
        > still get 2.07 when I do the "About" in fldigi.

        Let us know how you installed 2.07 and we'll be able to advise you on
        the new installation. Where did you extract 2.08 to, what did you do to
        run FLdigi?

        Rick Kunath, k9ao
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2008
          tobinwarren wrote:
          > I have fldigi 2.07 installed and would like to
          > upgrade to 2.08. From the website it is a tar.gz
          > (binary?) file.
          >
          > In searching the web, I cannot seem to find a
          > step-by-step approach to install the files
          > needed for the upgrade.
          >
          > I have tried to extract the downloaded files and
          > still get 2.07 when I do the "About" in fldigi.
          >
          > It would be what I would consider a "standard install"
          >
          > Could someone guide me here?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Warren (W0WT)

          Warren this is the binary::

          fldigi-2.08.bin.tgz

          Available here::

          http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi-2.x.html

          It will get you the exact same results as compiling from source will.
          Just install the binary over top of your 2.07, it will automagically
          replace the old executable with the 2.08.

          Ed W3NR
        • Warren Tobin
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2008
            Thanks for the replies.

            I actually did not install 2.07, it was integral to the EMC Pup 3.01 package
            and was automatically installed when I created the iso file.

            I am running 3.01 EMC Pup from the CD with a pup save file on
            the "D:\" partition of my hard drive.  As you can probably guess
            I am quite new to linux.

            Ill try the link that Ed listed.  But I stall dont
            know how to "install the binary over top of your
            2.07"  That seem to be the part of the install
            process I haven't figured out?

            Warren

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2008
              I tried installing the file in my-applications/bin
              and now fldigi doesnt work at all.  Needless to
              say I am extemely lost.

              Warren

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 2, 2008
                Warren Tobin wrote:
                > I tried installing the file in my-applications/bin
                > and now fldigi doesnt work at all. Needless to
                > say I am *extemely* lost.

                Yep, that's why I wanted to know what distro you were running :)

                So, where was the 2.07 binary installed originally?

                hat you are doing with your Pup save file is different than someone with
                a fully hard drive installed distro.

                Can't help you with Pup run from CD, I don't run it myself, but someone
                here will know what to do.

                Rick Kunath, k9ao
              • Warren Tobin
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2, 2008
                  I found the little gear/cog thingy in the my-applications/bin
                  directory

                  so  .... I am guessing the standard installation that comes with
                  this is a binary exe in that directory or I may be wrong.

                  So, based on the information I am receiving, there  is no
                  either what I would consider "standard" or a "direct" way
                  to install these tarballs.  I received a suggestion that
                  used ./make  ..... etc commands but they give me an
                  error.  "directory not found" I guess.

                  I suppose one solution would be to delete all the stuff
                  on D:\ and start over, but I really wouldn't need to do that?
                  Also, I still wouldnt know what I was doing.

                  Is anyone else using EMC pup 3.01?

                  Warren

                  Warren

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 2, 2008
                    Warren Tobin wrote:
                    I found the little gear/cog thingy in the my-applications/bin
                    directory

                    so  .... I am guessing the standard installation that comes with
                    this is a binary exe in that directory or I may be wrong.

                    So, based on the information I am receiving, there  is no
                    either what I would consider "standard" or a "direct" way
                    to install these tarballs.  I received a suggestion that
                    used ./make  ..... etc commands but they give me an
                    error.  "directory not found" I guess.

                    I suppose one solution would be to delete all the stuff
                    on D:\ and start over, but I really wouldn't need to do that?
                    Also, I still wouldnt know what I was doing.

                    Is anyone else using EMC pup 3.01?

                    Warren
                    Warren,

                    I think you are trying too hard with your EMCpup installation.  The easiest way to upgrade an installation of an executable and all of its required libraries is to install from the "pet" file.  That is why I created the pet files.  This is the reference on the www.w1hkj.com site:

                    Pet Distribution for the EMCpup.3.01 release series

                    The following Pet files can be loaded onto an existing Puppy 3.01 or used to upgrade a previously downloaded EMCpup-3.01.07.x release.  This is much faster if you already have a working Live CD for Puppy 3.01.  Just click on the file from the Puppy default browser and open using the Pet installer.  The Pet Menu system will be updated but you will need to restart your JWM window manager to see the changes.  You can then save your new installation or burn a new distribution CD.
                    For a fully functioning EMC installation you will also need to download the latest version of Sylpheed using the Pet Installer.

                    If you need to learn more about the pet installation process you can visit the following site:

                    http://www.puppylinux.org

                    73, Dave, W1HKJ

                  • Warren Tobin

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 2, 2008
                        Warren Tobin wrote:
                        Dave,

                        Yes, that worked.  Still hadn't figured out what I was doing wrong.

                        73

                        Warren
                        Great !!  Don't worry about installing from a binary tarball unless you really need to.  The pet's take care of knowing where everything goes.