DominoEX secondary text, new idle behavior for MFSK, RTTY and FM Hell

  • Joe Veldhuis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2006
      http://www.electroblog.com:8090/~electrode/gmfsk.atu.6.diff.gz
      Apply to a clean extract of gmfsk-hkj50.

      Here's what this one does:

      DominoEX: adds squelch and secondary text. This is the result of a few
      experimental diffs flung between myself, W1HKJ and VK3SB a month ago.

      MFSK16: On idle, sends one null pattern then settles on the bottom tone.

      RTTY: On idle, just sends a constant mark tone. Apparently, this is
      common behavior for mechanical setups.

      FM Hell: On idle, carrier power is reduced by 6 dB, and dots are no
      longer sent.

      -Joe, KD8ATU
    • jhaynesatalumni
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2006
        Can these features be individually turned on and off?
        Some of them seem like a good idea in general, and some
        do not.

        It's true that mechanical RTTY setups send constant mark
        tone when there is nothing to send - but there are technical
        and operational reasons to send diddles. They do annoy the
        mechanical TTY users; but one can argue that the solution
        to that is to make an electronic box that will keep them from
        reaching the machine. The advantages of diddles are (1) you
        know it's a RTTY signal, not just some carrier sitting there,
        (2) modern demodulators take advantage of having both mark and
        space tones preset pretty often, to judge the levels of them.

        I'm also unsure of the virtue of the MFSK mode sending one
        flop and then settling on one tone. Again there is the problem
        that it just sounds like some random carrier, so the guy
        tuning around doesn't recognize the signal for what it is.
      • Joe Veldhuis
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2006
          Once (if) these get added to the mainline, there'll be options in
          hkj-config.h to disable them. For now, just decompress the file and edit
          it. To remove the RTTY hack, just delete the blocks that alter files in
          the src/rtty directory, for the MFSK hack do the same to the ones that
          affect the src/mfsk directory.

          -Joe, KD8ATU