Re: [linuxham] Re: OT: Icom 746

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 2006
      Hamish Moffatt wrote:
      > On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 07:12:42AM -0400, Ed wrote:
      >> I was hoping that someone here could help with some details on the
      >> 746, since I have never seen or operated one. I looked thru hamlib.org
      >> and Ekki's site but didn't really see anything. Google wasn't much
      >> better. Evidently he is trying to key the rig thru the CI-V cable rather
      >> than a stand alone serial port. I'll suggest that he consider the stand
      >> alone. Thanks...73
      >
      > Ed: well, two things are necessary - hamlib must support PTT on the
      > IC-746, and gMFSK needs to support PTT via hamlib, not just
      > serial/parallel. I don't know about the former, but it isn't obvious
      > from the configuration screens that gMFSK supports the latter anyway.
      >
      > Another alternative is VOX, if the 746 has it.
      >
      > Hamish

      Evidently hamlib does not support ptt via the ci-v, I found 1 reference
      to trying to use the parallel port for ptt with gMFSK with the 746. This
      would be a viable solution, but he is a newbie and followed my
      suggestion to use vox for now. He has 2 serial ports, ci-v on one and a
      ups on the other. thanks for your time and help....73