Re: [linuxham] Re: OT: Icom 746

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 2006
      Ed wrote:

      Dave-Hamish

      I was hoping that someone here could help with some details on the
      746, since I have never seen or operated one. I looked thru hamlib.org
      and Ekki's site but didn't really see anything. Google wasn't much
      better. Evidently he is trying to key the rig thru the CI-V cable rather
      than a stand alone serial port. I'll suggest that he consider the stand
      alone. Thanks...73

      Ed W3NR

      Ed,
      You might also want to try the Icom728 program that is on my web site, www.w1hkj.com.  I think that the 746 and 728 share the same i/o code structure.  Check the Icom subdirectory in hamlib and the code for the two rigs should give you a clue.  I will check that later today.  If you want to try the Icom728 code run it first as a stand-alone application to control the rig (freq/mode etc).  It that works ok than recompile the gmfsk-hkj application with the switches set

      #define WANT_TENTEC_MOD 1

      you might also need:

      #define WANT_PTT_MOD 1

      if his interface steals power from the RS232 port.

      Oh yes.  You must disable the hamlib interface for this compile.  You can only have one i/o selection at the present time, either hamlib or the TENTEC type which is a memory map share between gmfsk and the Icom728 program (and others like it).

      So run ./hkjconfigure (without the --want-hamlib directive), before recompiling.

      Dave, W1HKJ

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 9, 2006
        Hamish Moffatt wrote:
        > On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 07:12:42AM -0400, Ed wrote:
        >> I was hoping that someone here could help with some details on the
        >> 746, since I have never seen or operated one. I looked thru hamlib.org
        >> and Ekki's site but didn't really see anything. Google wasn't much
        >> better. Evidently he is trying to key the rig thru the CI-V cable rather
        >> than a stand alone serial port. I'll suggest that he consider the stand
        >> alone. Thanks...73
        >
        > Ed: well, two things are necessary - hamlib must support PTT on the
        > IC-746, and gMFSK needs to support PTT via hamlib, not just
        > serial/parallel. I don't know about the former, but it isn't obvious
        > from the configuration screens that gMFSK supports the latter anyway.
        >
        > Another alternative is VOX, if the 746 has it.
        >
        > Hamish

        Evidently hamlib does not support ptt via the ci-v, I found 1 reference
        to trying to use the parallel port for ptt with gMFSK with the 746. This
        would be a viable solution, but he is a newbie and followed my
        suggestion to use vox for now. He has 2 serial ports, ci-v on one and a
        ups on the other. thanks for your time and help....73