Re: [linuxham] OT: Icom 746

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 8, 2006
      Ed wrote:

      I'm trying to help someone with an IC746 get PTT to work in gMFSK. He is
      using the CI-V17 converter. Anyone here that can help, so I can pass the
      information on. TIA

      Ed W3NR

      He has a working hamlib, just no PTT

      Ed,  Please provide a little more info on the CI-V17 converter.  Does it steal power from the Rs-232 port?

      How have you set up the hkj-config.h file?  Your problem may be there.

      Dave
    • Hamish Moffatt
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2006
        On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 05:36:18PM -0000, Jerry W wrote:
        > If he is using one of the Debian based distro's like MEPIS, Knoppix,
        > Unbuntu, Kubuntu, Xbuntuntu etc. Using the Synaptic Package Manager
        > there are some programs for Icom, supposed to be for CI-V control. I
        > am not sure if they work with gMFSK however. There is a ham radio
        > users group on Debian email lists. If you highlight the Icom program
        > in Synaptic, below the in the description window it gives some
        > information about the Debian ham users.

        There is a standalone icom program, but hamlib provides rig-control
        functions to be used in applications. gMFSK has that capability and IS
        built with it enabled (at least as packaged by Debian).

        The OP could use PTT by direct keying from a serial port, rather than
        doing it over CI-V (if that is even supported). Sure to work then.

        Hamish
        --
        Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 9, 2006
          Dave-Hamish

          I was hoping that someone here could help with some details on the
          746, since I have never seen or operated one. I looked thru hamlib.org
          and Ekki's site but didn't really see anything. Google wasn't much
          better. Evidently he is trying to key the rig thru the CI-V cable rather
          than a stand alone serial port. I'll suggest that he consider the stand
          alone. Thanks...73

          Ed W3NR
        • Hamish Moffatt
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 9, 2006
            On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 07:12:42AM -0400, Ed wrote:
            > I was hoping that someone here could help with some details on the
            > 746, since I have never seen or operated one. I looked thru hamlib.org
            > and Ekki's site but didn't really see anything. Google wasn't much
            > better. Evidently he is trying to key the rig thru the CI-V cable rather
            > than a stand alone serial port. I'll suggest that he consider the stand
            > alone. Thanks...73

            Ed: well, two things are necessary - hamlib must support PTT on the
            IC-746, and gMFSK needs to support PTT via hamlib, not just
            serial/parallel. I don't know about the former, but it isn't obvious
            from the configuration screens that gMFSK supports the latter anyway.

            Another alternative is VOX, if the 746 has it.

            Hamish
            --
            Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 9, 2006
              Ed wrote:

              Dave-Hamish

              I was hoping that someone here could help with some details on the
              746, since I have never seen or operated one. I looked thru hamlib.org
              and Ekki's site but didn't really see anything. Google wasn't much
              better. Evidently he is trying to key the rig thru the CI-V cable rather
              than a stand alone serial port. I'll suggest that he consider the stand
              alone. Thanks...73

              Ed W3NR

              Ed,
              You might also want to try the Icom728 program that is on my web site, www.w1hkj.com.  I think that the 746 and 728 share the same i/o code structure.  Check the Icom subdirectory in hamlib and the code for the two rigs should give you a clue.  I will check that later today.  If you want to try the Icom728 code run it first as a stand-alone application to control the rig (freq/mode etc).  It that works ok than recompile the gmfsk-hkj application with the switches set

              #define WANT_TENTEC_MOD 1

              you might also need:

              #define WANT_PTT_MOD 1

              if his interface steals power from the RS232 port.

              Oh yes.  You must disable the hamlib interface for this compile.  You can only have one i/o selection at the present time, either hamlib or the TENTEC type which is a memory map share between gmfsk and the Icom728 program (and others like it).

              So run ./hkjconfigure (without the --want-hamlib directive), before recompiling.

              Dave, W1HKJ

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 9, 2006
                Hamish Moffatt wrote:
                > On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 07:12:42AM -0400, Ed wrote:
                >> I was hoping that someone here could help with some details on the
                >> 746, since I have never seen or operated one. I looked thru hamlib.org
                >> and Ekki's site but didn't really see anything. Google wasn't much
                >> better. Evidently he is trying to key the rig thru the CI-V cable rather
                >> than a stand alone serial port. I'll suggest that he consider the stand
                >> alone. Thanks...73
                >
                > Ed: well, two things are necessary - hamlib must support PTT on the
                > IC-746, and gMFSK needs to support PTT via hamlib, not just
                > serial/parallel. I don't know about the former, but it isn't obvious
                > from the configuration screens that gMFSK supports the latter anyway.
                >
                > Another alternative is VOX, if the 746 has it.
                >
                > Hamish

                Evidently hamlib does not support ptt via the ci-v, I found 1 reference
                to trying to use the parallel port for ptt with gMFSK with the 746. This
                would be a viable solution, but he is a newbie and followed my
                suggestion to use vox for now. He has 2 serial ports, ci-v on one and a
                ups on the other. thanks for your time and help....73