Re: OT: Icom 746

  • Jerry W
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 8 10:36 AM
      Ed,

      If he is using one of the Debian based distro's like MEPIS, Knoppix,
      Unbuntu, Kubuntu, Xbuntuntu etc. Using the Synaptic Package Manager
      there are some programs for Icom, supposed to be for CI-V control. I
      am not sure if they work with gMFSK however. There is a ham radio
      users group on Debian email lists. If you highlight the Icom program
      in Synaptic, below the in the description window it gives some
      information about the Debian ham users.

      I am a Kenwood user, so can't be of much more help.

      HTH,

      Jerry - K0HZI

      I'm trying to help someone with an IC746 get PTT to work in gMFSK. He is
      the CI-V17 converter. Anyone here that can help, so I can pass the
      information on. TIA

      Ed W3NR

      He has a working hamlib, just no PTT
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8 4:13 PM
        Ed wrote:

        I'm trying to help someone with an IC746 get PTT to work in gMFSK. He is
        using the CI-V17 converter. Anyone here that can help, so I can pass the
        information on. TIA

        Ed W3NR

        He has a working hamlib, just no PTT

        Ed,  Please provide a little more info on the CI-V17 converter.  Does it steal power from the Rs-232 port?

        How have you set up the hkj-config.h file?  Your problem may be there.

        Dave
      • Hamish Moffatt
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 8 5:03 PM
          On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 05:36:18PM -0000, Jerry W wrote:
          > If he is using one of the Debian based distro's like MEPIS, Knoppix,
          > Unbuntu, Kubuntu, Xbuntuntu etc. Using the Synaptic Package Manager
          > there are some programs for Icom, supposed to be for CI-V control. I
          > am not sure if they work with gMFSK however. There is a ham radio
          > users group on Debian email lists. If you highlight the Icom program
          > in Synaptic, below the in the description window it gives some
          > information about the Debian ham users.

          There is a standalone icom program, but hamlib provides rig-control
          functions to be used in applications. gMFSK has that capability and IS
          built with it enabled (at least as packaged by Debian).

          The OP could use PTT by direct keying from a serial port, rather than
          doing it over CI-V (if that is even supported). Sure to work then.

          Hamish
          --
          Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 9 4:12 AM
            Dave-Hamish

            I was hoping that someone here could help with some details on the
            746, since I have never seen or operated one. I looked thru hamlib.org
            and Ekki's site but didn't really see anything. Google wasn't much
            better. Evidently he is trying to key the rig thru the CI-V cable rather
            than a stand alone serial port. I'll suggest that he consider the stand
            alone. Thanks...73

            Ed W3NR
          • Hamish Moffatt
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 9 5:35 AM
              On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 07:12:42AM -0400, Ed wrote:
              > I was hoping that someone here could help with some details on the
              > 746, since I have never seen or operated one. I looked thru hamlib.org
              > and Ekki's site but didn't really see anything. Google wasn't much
              > better. Evidently he is trying to key the rig thru the CI-V cable rather
              > than a stand alone serial port. I'll suggest that he consider the stand
              > alone. Thanks...73

              Ed: well, two things are necessary - hamlib must support PTT on the
              IC-746, and gMFSK needs to support PTT via hamlib, not just
              serial/parallel. I don't know about the former, but it isn't obvious
              from the configuration screens that gMFSK supports the latter anyway.

              Another alternative is VOX, if the 746 has it.

              Hamish
              --
              Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 9 6:06 AM
                Ed wrote:

                Dave-Hamish

                I was hoping that someone here could help with some details on the
                746, since I have never seen or operated one. I looked thru hamlib.org
                and Ekki's site but didn't really see anything. Google wasn't much
                better. Evidently he is trying to key the rig thru the CI-V cable rather
                than a stand alone serial port. I'll suggest that he consider the stand
                alone. Thanks...73

                Ed W3NR

                Ed,
                You might also want to try the Icom728 program that is on my web site, www.w1hkj.com.  I think that the 746 and 728 share the same i/o code structure.  Check the Icom subdirectory in hamlib and the code for the two rigs should give you a clue.  I will check that later today.  If you want to try the Icom728 code run it first as a stand-alone application to control the rig (freq/mode etc).  It that works ok than recompile the gmfsk-hkj application with the switches set

                #define WANT_TENTEC_MOD 1

                you might also need:

                #define WANT_PTT_MOD 1

                if his interface steals power from the RS232 port.

                Oh yes.  You must disable the hamlib interface for this compile.  You can only have one i/o selection at the present time, either hamlib or the TENTEC type which is a memory map share between gmfsk and the Icom728 program (and others like it).

                So run ./hkjconfigure (without the --want-hamlib directive), before recompiling.

                Dave, W1HKJ

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 9 6:32 AM
                  Hamish Moffatt wrote:
                  > On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 07:12:42AM -0400, Ed wrote:
                  >> I was hoping that someone here could help with some details on the
                  >> 746, since I have never seen or operated one. I looked thru hamlib.org
                  >> and Ekki's site but didn't really see anything. Google wasn't much
                  >> better. Evidently he is trying to key the rig thru the CI-V cable rather
                  >> than a stand alone serial port. I'll suggest that he consider the stand
                  >> alone. Thanks...73
                  >
                  > Ed: well, two things are necessary - hamlib must support PTT on the
                  > IC-746, and gMFSK needs to support PTT via hamlib, not just
                  > serial/parallel. I don't know about the former, but it isn't obvious
                  > from the configuration screens that gMFSK supports the latter anyway.
                  >
                  > Another alternative is VOX, if the 746 has it.
                  >
                  > Hamish

                  Evidently hamlib does not support ptt via the ci-v, I found 1 reference
                  to trying to use the parallel port for ptt with gMFSK with the 746. This
                  would be a viable solution, but he is a newbie and followed my
                  suggestion to use vox for now. He has 2 serial ports, ci-v on one and a
                  ups on the other. thanks for your time and help....73