Re: [linuxham] How do I uncompress tgz files?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
      Jerry W wrote:

      tTrying to uncompress http://www.w1hkj. com/LinuxApps/ gmfsk.hkj. tgz

      Have done plain tar.gz with the Terminal, but can not figure out how
      to uncompress tgz?

      Linux newbie

      TIA,

      Jerry - K0HZI

      xxxx.tar.gz or xxxx.tgz are both used as descriptive suffixes for the same type of file, a gzipped archive (tar) file.

      so you could do the following from the command line:

      tar xzf xxxx.tgz

      Dave, W1HKJ
    • Jerry W
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
        Dave,

        Thanks for the info. I "Googled" tgz. Most of the stuff was about
        how it worked etc and never explained how to uncompress as simple as
        you have.

        Thanks,

        Jerry - K0HZI