How do I uncompress tgz files?

  • Jerry W
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
      tTrying to uncompress http://www.w1hkj.com/LinuxApps/gmfsk.hkj.tgz

      Have done plain tar.gz with the Terminal, but can not figure out how
      to uncompress tgz?

      Linux newbie

      TIA,

      Jerry - K0HZI
    • Jerry W
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
        Used Extract from Konqueror to get gmfsk.hjk.50 files and then did
        configure using the Terminal.

        Now after make I get these errors;
        Making all in dominoex
        make[3]: Entering directory
        `/home/jerry/download/gmfsk.hkj.50/src/dominoex'
        Makefile:243: .deps/dominoex.Po: No such file or directory
        Makefile:244: .deps/dominoexrx.Po: No such file or directory
        Makefile:245: .deps/dominoextx.Po: No such file or directory
        Makefile:246: .deps/varicode.Po: No such file or directory
        make[3]: *** No rule to make target `.deps/varicode.Po'. Stop.

        Do I need to install gmfsk 7.0 pre1 first?

        TIA,

        Jerry - K0HZI

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
          Jerry W wrote:

          tTrying to uncompress http://www.w1hkj. com/LinuxApps/ gmfsk.hkj. tgz

          Have done plain tar.gz with the Terminal, but can not figure out how
          to uncompress tgz?

          Linux newbie

          TIA,

          Jerry - K0HZI

          xxxx.tar.gz or xxxx.tgz are both used as descriptive suffixes for the same type of file, a gzipped archive (tar) file.

          so you could do the following from the command line:

          tar xzf xxxx.tgz

          Dave, W1HKJ
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
            This is an extract of the file README-hkj.txt contained in the directory
            "gmfsk-hkj.50"

            /*****************************************************************************
            / README-hkj.txt
            /
            *****************************************************************************/

            The source files for gmfsk.hkj are compatible with gmfsk-0.71pre1.

            Revision gmfsk.hkj.50

            The configuration, compilation and installation are the same as for gmfsk.

            Please run the configuration using the hkjconfigure script. The
            automake needs to be fixed to properly generate the references to the
            dependency files for dominoex. In the meantime the hkjconfigure script
            will properly create the necessary files for proper compilation. Just
            "cat hkjconfigure" to see what it is doing. You can pass the same
            parameters to this script that you would pass to configure, ie:
            --enable-hamlib.

            After running the ./configure file be sure that you have the hamlib
            directives
            properly set. Then edit the source header file src/hkj-config.h. You
            set up which modifications to the original source you want to include by
            setting the define statements in the header file.

            The interface and callback source files have been edited separately from the
            gtk interface design tool, "glade2". If you open the gmfsk.glade file and
            create a new set of source files you will destroy the changes included
            in this
            set of modifications. If you do this you will have to restore those
            files from
            the tarball.

            Revision .50 adds the following new operating modes to gmfsk:

            FM-Hell and FM-Hell 105
            DominoEX 4, 5, 8, 11, 16 and 22
            Modified Olivia
            Bug fix for qpsk coming up in the reverse mode on USB

            The changes to the Olivia modem allow you to select the operating center
            audio frequency for that mode, negating the 500 Hz lock on the lowest
            Olivia tone.

            The gmfsk user community is deeply indebted to Joe Veldhuis, KD5ATU, and
            Hamish Moffatt, VK3SB, for their respective contributions to the
            Hell-Olivia and DominoEX modems.

            So ... you need to execute

            ./hkjconfigure

            instead of

            ./configure

            to create the dominoex subdirectory ".PO" and its associated files.

            Dave, W1HKJ
          • Jerry W
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
              Dave,

              Thanks for the info. I "Googled" tgz. Most of the stuff was about
              how it worked etc and never explained how to uncompress as simple as
              you have.

              Thanks,

              Jerry - K0HZI