gmfsk.hkj.50

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2006
      A little hint on using the "Ref"erence Level, and "Amp"litude controls
      located in the right hand side of the main display. If the background
      is green and the signals bright yellow or red then you probably have the
      "ref" and "amp" controls set wrong. Both of these controls are in dB.
      The "ref" is the reference level for the largest signal being received.
      I find that with my sound card this should be about -10. The "Amp" is
      the amplitude range over which the signals will be displayed. 80/40/20
      signal conditions are such that anything more than 40 to 45 dB of range
      is far too much. You can see the effect of these controls better in the
      fast fourier transform "Spectrum" display mode. Adjust the "Ref"
      control so that the max signal you are receiving is about 2/3 scale.
      The adjust the "Amp" control so that the noise level is just barely
      visible at the bottom. Go back to the waterfall and fine tune the
      controls to give a range of colors to your liking. These controls
      change very rapidly if you hold the mouse button down (default in gtk,
      the toolkit used for building the gui stuff). So I recommend just
      single clicking the up/down buttons.

      Dave (hkj)