creating /dev/USBn in emcpup

  • Steve Conklin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
      I've had a chance to play with the latest emcpup, and found that the
      device files for USB serial ports (/dev/USBttyn) don't exist. I solved
      the problem by creating them in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, but perhaps these
      should be delivered?

      Steve
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
        Steve Conklin wrote:
        > I've had a chance to play with the latest emcpup, and found that the
        > device files for USB serial ports (/dev/USBttyn) don't exist. I solved
        > the problem by creating them in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, but perhaps these
        > should be delivered?

        No Steve. You have a misunderstanding about Puppy Linux. In most Linux
        distributions the device drivers for USB serial ports are /dev/USBttyX
        but not in Puppy Linux. Those port drivers are named /dev/usb/ttyUSB0
        and /dev/usb/ttyUSB1.

        I suggest that you remove the drivers that you created and try the
        /dev/usb/ttyUSBn that is required for your hardware. They work just
        fine on my machine.

        73, Dave, W1HKJ
      • Steve Conklin
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
          haha, thanks Dave. I'll do that. I am learning my way around puppy, but
          still get caught by the differences from the distros I'm used to.

          Steve

          w1hkj wrote:
          > Steve Conklin wrote:
          >> I've had a chance to play with the latest emcpup, and found that the
          >> device files for USB serial ports (/dev/USBttyn) don't exist. I solved
          >> the problem by creating them in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, but perhaps these
          >> should be delivered?
          >>
          > No Steve. You have a misunderstanding about Puppy Linux. In most Linux
          > distributions the device drivers for USB serial ports are /dev/USBttyX
          > but not in Puppy Linux. Those port drivers are named /dev/usb/ttyUSB0
          > and /dev/usb/ttyUSB1.
          >
          > I suggest that you remove the drivers that you created and try the
          > /dev/usb/ttyUSBn that is required for your hardware. They work just
          > fine on my machine.
          >

          > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

        • Hamish Moffatt
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
            On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 05:50:14PM -0600, w1hkj wrote:
            > Steve Conklin wrote:
            > > I've had a chance to play with the latest emcpup, and found that the
            > > device files for USB serial ports (/dev/USBttyn) don't exist. I solved
            > > the problem by creating them in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, but perhaps these
            > > should be delivered?
            > >
            > No Steve. You have a misunderstanding about Puppy Linux. In most Linux
            > distributions the device drivers for USB serial ports are /dev/USBttyX

            Which distros do that? Not Debian, fwiw.

            Hamish
            --
            Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008

              Steve Conklin wrote:

              I've had a chance to play with the latest emcpup, and found that the
              device files for USB serial ports (/dev/USBttyn) don't exist. I solved
              the problem by creating them in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, but perhaps these
              should be delivered?

              No Steve.  You have a misunderstanding about Puppy Linux.  In most Linux
              distributions the device drivers for USB serial ports are /dev/USBttyX

              Which distros do that? Not Debian, fwiw.

              Roget on that Hamish.  I was dyslexic.  Should have said /dev/ttyUSBn.  But Puppy is still /dev/usb/ttyUSBn

              Dave
            • Hamish Moffatt
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
                On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 09:36:49PM -0600, w1hkj wrote:
                > Hamish Moffatt wrote:

                >>> No Steve. You have a misunderstanding about Puppy Linux. In most Linux
                >>> distributions the device drivers for USB serial ports are /dev/USBttyX
                >>
                >> Which distros do that? Not Debian, fwiw.
                >>
                > Roget on that Hamish. I was dyslexic. Should have said /dev/ttyUSBn. But
                > Puppy is still /dev/usb/ttyUSBn

                Ah. Never heard of that either... but that's the beauty(?) of udev.

                73
                Hamish
                --
                Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>