Re: [linuxham] Re: Linux Newbie

  • M5AAV
    Message 1 of 48 , Jan 2, 2008
      > Quoting from the message of Wed, 02 Jan 2008 11:56:52 -0000 from "Ed"
      > <autek@...> :

      > > Gary, here is a basic how-to, if you are not sure of a step, stop and
      > > ask.

      > > Open Synaptic then open Settings. Make sure all entries are checked
      > > EXCEPT the Cd Rom entries. Back on the main window of synaptic click
      > > on the reload button. Install the following,

      > > libhamlib2
      > > libhamlib-dev
      > > libhamlib-utils

      > > Close out synaptic once you have the 3 installed.

      > > Go to places >>home folder >> file and create a new folder and name it

      > > fldigi

      > > Open the web browser and go here

      > > http://w1hkj.com/Fldigi-2.x.html

      > > and double click on the binary, it will open a window asking what you
      > > want to do with the file. Tell it you want to open using file roller.
      > > In file roller tell it to extract the binary and browse to the fldigi
      > > folder and extract it there. If all went well you have installed
      > > fldigi.

      > > Now open a terminal window amd enter cd /fldigi then issue the
      > > following ./fldigi (thats DOT/fldigi)

      > > fldigi should open and be ready for use. If not, copy any error
      > > messages and post them to the list.

      > > Once you have fldigi running go back to the web site and read the help
      > > files. That should walk you through the setup.

      > > HTH

      > > Ed W3NR

      > > To make a desktop icon, right click in an open area of the desktop and
      > > select create launcher. Follow the steps and make sure that it points
      > > to the fldigi folder and the fldigi executable (blue diamond icon).
      > > Click on the no icon button and select an icon of your choice.

      Problem ?

      I know I'm probably doing something wrong....but help !! <smile>

      All OK until in the terminal window I get

      graham@graham:~$ cd /fldigi
      bash: cd: /fldigi: No such file or directory
      graham@graham:~$ cd fldigi
      graham@graham:~/fldigi$ ./fldigi
      ./fldigi: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot
      graham@graham:~/fldigi$

      I'm wondering why the cd /fldigi didn't work yet removing the / it did.

      TIA

      Graham

      --
      73 Graham M5AAV
      http://www.m5aav.org.uk/
      Message 48 of 48 , Jan 27, 2008
        ve4tg wrote:
        > Greetings, I'm a newbie as well and have just installed Ubuntu 7.10. I
        > tried following the procedure you cited below but could only find the
        > libhamlib-utils package. Also under settings I could not locate any
        > items to check off. Perhaps I'm using a different version?
        >
        > Doug VE4TG
        >

        >> Gary, here is a basic how-to, if you are not sure of a step, stop and
        >> ask.
        >>
        >> Open Synaptic then open Settings. Make sure all entries are checked
        >> EXCEPT the Cd Rom entries. Back on the main window of synaptic click
        >> on the reload button. Install the following,

        When you open the settings tab, you will see a tab for "Repositories"
        click on it and then you will be able to follow the above suggestion and
        install the needed items. You will also need to install libstdc++5. You
        can find all of these using the search feature.