Re: [linuxham] Linux Newbie

    Message 1 of 48 , Jan 1, 2008
      tailfeathers wrote:
      > happy new year everyone...I have just installed Ubuntu on an old machine
      > a few days ago and have zero knowledge of it...I will say that it is a
      > beautiful looking OS...I assume that programs don't install like MS
      > programs and they need an installer of some type...Where do I go for
      > that info?...
      >
      > Oh...I guess I need to install a ham lib? before Fldigi will work?...
      >
      > Gary
      > n8gsj

      Gary, I'll work up a brief how-to for you, but it will be some time
      tomorrow. Ubuntu's web site has excellent documentation, that you need
      to spend some time and read through. Take some time and browse through
      your install and look at the various applications that are available.

      My work day starts at 3:15 A.M. so I just don't have the time right now
      to help you out. Just hang tight.

      Message 48 of 48 , Jan 27, 2008
        ve4tg wrote:
        > Greetings, I'm a newbie as well and have just installed Ubuntu 7.10. I
        > tried following the procedure you cited below but could only find the
        > libhamlib-utils package. Also under settings I could not locate any
        > items to check off. Perhaps I'm using a different version?
        >
        > Doug VE4TG
        >

        >> Gary, here is a basic how-to, if you are not sure of a step, stop and
        >> ask.
        >>
        >> Open Synaptic then open Settings. Make sure all entries are checked
        >> EXCEPT the Cd Rom entries. Back on the main window of synaptic click
        >> on the reload button. Install the following,

        When you open the settings tab, you will see a tab for "Repositories"
        click on it and then you will be able to follow the above suggestion and
        install the needed items. You will also need to install libstdc++5. You
        can find all of these using the search feature.