Trying to install Fldigi

  • cergender
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 7, 2014

      Hi here,

      I followed the instructions on page:
      http://www.hamradioandvision.com/installing-fldigi-for-linux/

      and got the following response:

      :~$ sudo apt-get install fldigi
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      or been moved out of Incoming.

       fldigi : Depends: libfltk-images1.3 but it is not installable
                Depends: libfltk1.3 (>= 1.3.0) but it is not installable
                Depends: libhamlib2 (>= 1.2.15.1) but it is not installable
                Depends: librpc-xml-perl but it is not installable
                Recommends: extra-xdg-menus but it is not installable

      Any idea what I should do? Broken packages, where are they?

      I am using Xubuntu 12.04 and I am not very fluent with that.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Ben
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 7, 2014
        Why would you follow instructions from a site that is not specifically an fldigi support site?

        See:  https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki

        drill down on the build HOW-TO's

        Dave

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 7, 2014
          On 07 Jun 2014 08:35:21 -0700
          cergender <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > Hi here,
          >
          > I followed the instructions on page:
          > http://www.hamradioandvision.com/installing-fldigi-for-linux/
          > http://www.hamradioandvision.com/installing-fldigi-for-linux/

          Be better if you followed the official way to do this instaed of some
          place that gives you half the info you need.

          Try the wiki ::

          https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/

          Ed W3NR
        • David Sanders W4DES
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 7, 2014
            The instructions he’s using are substantially the same as the instructions here:

            http://www.w1hkj.com/LaunchpadInstall.html

            Installing the current version from kamal’s ppa is perfectly valid.  Not everyone needs to build from source.

            73, David W4DES

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 7, 2014
              Ben,
              I recommend you update the the latest release 14.04 (trusty).  It is a long term support release and is very stable.  Then follow the instructions to add Kamal’s PPA and install fldigi.

              73, David W4DES

              On Jun 7, 2014, at 11:35 AM, cergender <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Hi here,

              I followed the instructions on page:
              http://www.hamradioandvision.com/installing-fldigi-for-linux/

              and got the following response:

              :~$ sudo apt-get install fldigi
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree
              Reading state information... Done
              or been moved out of Incoming.

               fldigi : Depends: libfltk-images1.3 but it is not installable
                        Depends: libfltk1.3 (>= 1.3.0) but it is not installable
                        Depends: libhamlib2 (>= 1.2.15.1) but it is not installable
                        Depends: librpc-xml-perl but it is not installable
                        Recommends: extra-xdg-menus but it is not installable

              Any idea what I should do? Broken packages, where are they?

              I am using Xubuntu 12.04 and I am not very fluent with that.

              Any help would be appreciated.

              Ben

            • Boudewijn (Bob) Tenty
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 7, 2014
                I use fldigi at Ubuntu 12.04 LTS from Kamal's PPA and they all install without problem.
                No problem with installation of the libflk libraries.

                A note about the dependencies as it is important to solve conflicts about them.
                (Why some packages don't install)

                The reason that the libflk packages don't install is most likely because of conflicts with dependencies,
                like a broken package somewhere along the line or an improper version of another package it relies on.

                Check what the dependencies of the libflk packages are, that is what other packages it relies on and the
                minimum version they need.
                Check or the depending packages  and minimum version of them are properly installed.
                (Watch the meaning of the indicatiors in the first position with aptitude search..)
                From these indicators ( and versions) and a bit of searching you can find out what the problem is.
                You have to follow a trail as these dependencies depend  on other dependencies, etc. but eventually the offending package will be found.

                It is not good to have conflicts with dependencies as you might have problems with installing of other programs, crashes, etc.

                Bob, VE3TOK

                On 14-06-07 03:12 PM, David Sanders W4DES w4des@... [linuxham] wrote:

[...]

              • Michael Coslo
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 7, 2014
                  Synaptics Package Manager. It won’t be the latest version, but it can get a person started.

                  Building from source is fun and all, but for a new person, coming from a Windows environment, easing into it is probably advisable.

                  On Jun 7, 2014, at 2:56 PM, David Sanders W4DES w4des@... [linuxham] <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  > Installing the current version from kamal’s ppa is perfectly valid. Not everyone needs to build from source.
                • Lee McKusick
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 7, 2014
                    Hello Ben,

                    I run Ubuntu 12.04 and I'll try and help you at least "get a little
                    more fluent" if not directly fix your puzzle.

                    I just spent 2 weeks struggling with missing library error messages and
                    what I learned is there was nothing wrong with the packages on my system
                    and nothing wrong with the libraries either.

                    For my situation, it turned out that fldigi is sensitive to whether you
                    have a 64bit or 32 bit system. Lets check that for you:

                    On your Ubuntu Linux computer system click through the following
                    screens.
                    Click on the Ubuntu wheelie dodad on the extreme upper right corner. A
                    menu box will open.
                    Click on the topmost menubox System Settings.... A system settings
                    screen will open.
                    On the fourth row down second column Click on Details
                    On the Details screen look at OS type.

                    The computer I am writing this email is a 32 bit OS type and the package
                    you downloaded gets me fldigi 3.21.82. There is no menu item that I can
                    find but typing flidgi at a command prompt gets the configuration wizard
                    in 3 seconds.

                    My radio operating computer out in the garage is 64-bit and my
                    experience is I had to compile fldigi from source in order to get rid of
                    missing library messages and so on.

                    Compiling from source is not that hard. I have an earlier post last week
                    to this mail group giving a very disorderly and inexact guide to
                    compiling from source.

                    Just for fun, let's find the fldigi executable.
                    In a terminal type the following command

                    which fldigi
                    The Ubuntu and Debian package installs fldigi in the following area:
                    /usr/bin/fldigi

                    If the which command finds fldigi in a location with /local/ in the name
                    then you have a copy of flidigi that is either from your downloading a
                    binary image or perhaps you tried compiling from source.

                    and get the files from the primary whkj1 sites. Keep notes as you try
                    the different binaries and packages. You can remove the troublesome
                    package you already installed by doing the following command.
                    Having a package with problems and a different binary on your system at
                    the same time can be a hassle.

                    sudo apt-get remove fldigi

                    Best wishes, I hope to see you on the air pretty soon. AG6CB Lee

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 7, 2014
                      On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 18:41:09 -0700
                      "Lee McKusick lmckusic@... [linuxham]"
                      <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      > Hello Ben,
                      >
                      > I run Ubuntu 12.04 and I'll try and help you at least "get a
                      > little more fluent" if not directly fix your puzzle.
                      >
                      > I just spent 2 weeks struggling with missing library error
                      > messages and what I learned is there was nothing wrong with the
                      > packages on my system and nothing wrong with the libraries either.

                      Are you building from source ?

                      If you followed the wiki, about 10 minutes tops to have fldigi up and
                      running.

                      > For my situation, it turned out that fldigi is sensitive to
                      > whether you have a 64bit or 32 bit system. Lets check that for you:

                      Interesting. How did you come to that conclusion ?

                      Sorry,but your information is not correct. If you followed the
                      directions from the wiki, fldigi does not care if its 32 or 64 bit.

                      > The computer I am writing this email is a 32 bit OS type and the
                      > package you downloaded gets me fldigi 3.21.82. There is no menu item
                      > that I can find but typing flidgi at a command prompt gets the
                      > configuration wizard in 3 seconds.

                      HHHHMMM, not in the Internet tab ?????

                      > My radio operating computer out in the garage is 64-bit and my
                      > experience is I had to compile fldigi from source in order to get rid
                      > of missing library messages and so on.

                      Interesting, how did you arrive at this conclusion ?

                      > Compiling from source is not that hard. I have an earlier post last
                      > week to this mail group giving a very disorderly and inexact guide to
                      > compiling from source.
                      >
                      > Just for fun, let's find the fldigi executable.
                      > In a terminal type the following command
                      >
                      > which fldigi
                      > The Ubuntu and Debian package installs fldigi in the following area:
                      > /usr/bin/fldigi
                      >
                      > If the which command finds fldigi in a location with /local/ in the
                      > name then you have a copy of flidigi that is either from your
                      > downloading a binary image or perhaps you tried compiling from source.

                      > and get the files from the primary whkj1 sites. Keep notes as you try
                      > the different binaries and packages. You can remove the troublesome
                      > package you already installed by doing the following command.
                      > Having a package with problems and a different binary on your system
                      > at the same time can be a hassle.
                      >
                      > sudo apt-get remove fldigi

                      sudo apt-get purge fldigi

                      Installing the binary is not recommended. Building from source is easy
                      once you have the build environment in place.

                      Ed W3NR
                    • cergender
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 8, 2014
                        Thanks for instructions.
                        Managed to install the Kamal s version 3.21.82.  Receiving now well but cannot find a way to key  the transmission on.
                        My rig is IC-7200 with USB-cable connection to computer.
                         In Fldigi PTT device USB alternative chosen  and same in Hamlib alternatives.

                        Another rig is FT-897 with Signalink interface. The same result, reception is OK but no keyng the transmission.

                        In both radios the settings should be right. I beleive there is still something   in Fldigi which I have missed.

                        Ben
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 8, 2014
                          On 08 Jun 2014 04:00:48 -0700
                          cergender <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          > Thanks for instructions.
                          > Managed to install the Kamal s version 3.21.82. Receiving now well
                          > but cannot find a way to key the transmission on. My rig is IC-7200
                          > with USB-cable connection to computer. In Fldigi PTT device USB
                          > alternative chosen and same in Hamlib alternatives.
                          >
                          > Another rig is FT-897 with Signalink interface. The same result,
                          > reception is OK but no keyng the transmission.
                          >
                          > In both radios the settings should be right. I beleive there is still
                          > something in Fldigi which I have missed.
                          >
                          > Ben

                          Open a terminal

                          sudo adduser [yourusername] dialout

                          log out and back in.

                          Ed W3NR
                        • cergender
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 8, 2014
                            I think the problem solved now. Because I was using a test computer which was a bit too far away from the rig I did not see or hear it when  it was transmitting. Which it actually did.
                            Thanks everybody for your help and assistance.

                            Ben