Need USB hub recommendation for BBB

  • w8du_arnie
    Message 1 of 15 , May 28, 2014
      I need to add a USB hub to my Beaglebone Black and understand that not all are compatible for linux. Can someone recommend a USB hub (4 or 7 port) that would be compatible with my BBB running debian?

      Also, does anyone know if any of the cheapo USB soundcard dongles will work with debian/BBB? If so, how do I get it to be recognized?
      Tnx es 73 de Arnie W8DU
      still new and ignorant of linux/debian
    • bernhard.wolf@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 15 , May 28, 2014
        I use the Manhattan 7-port hub from Amazon.Costs 15$, works fine. As to the USB soundcards, most,but not all, should work. Trial and error. For radio maybe better to get a real interface like the signalink USB. Shameless advertising plug: I have a used spare Signalink USB for sale for 50$ plus shipping, since my new Kenwood TS-590S has a built-in interface and sound card ,so I now use only one for my mobile radio.
        Message 3 of 15 , May 28, 2014
          On 28 May 2014 14:18:52 -0700
          "w8du@... [linuxham]" <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > I need to add a USB hub to my Beaglebone Black and understand that
          > not all are compatible for linux. Can someone recommend a USB hub (4
          > or 7 port) that would be compatible with my BBB running debian?

          Every USB hub I've used was plug and play.

          > Also, does anyone know if any of the cheapo USB soundcard dongles
          > will work with debian/BBB? If so, how do I get it to be recognized?

          These work very well...

          http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-Mic-Speaker-Audio-5-1-3D-Sound-Card-Adapter-9516-/221249658477?pt=US_Sound_Card_External&hash=item338381de6d

          UH...plug it in ??

          > Tnx es 73 de Arnie W8DU still new and ignorant of linux/debian

          Ed W3NR
        • Arnie
          Message 4 of 15 , May 28, 2014
            Yeah...I think perhaps not. I tried one that is probably 5 years old and it did not work, so I thought I would ask before I go out and buy a new one.
            73 de Arnie W8DU

            On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Ed autek@... [linuxham] <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            On 28 May 2014 14:18:52 -0700

            "w8du@... [linuxham]" <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            > I need to add a USB hub to my Beaglebone Black and understand that
            > not all are compatible for linux. Can someone recommend a USB hub (4
            > or 7 port) that would be compatible with my BBB running debian?

            Every USB hub I've used was plug and play.

            > Also, does anyone know if any of the cheapo USB soundcard dongles
            > will work with debian/BBB? If so, how do I get it to be recognized?

            These work very well...

            http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-Mic-Speaker-Audio-5-1-3D-Sound-Card-Adapter-9516-/221249658477?pt=US_Sound_Card_External&hash=item338381de6d

            UH...plug it in ??

            > Tnx es 73 de Arnie W8DU still new and ignorant of linux/debian

            http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Thereyouareduh.jpg
          • Arnie
            Message 5 of 15 , May 28, 2014
              Do I need to install any drivers for that audio dongle? I happen to have that one sitting around and was hoping to use it for I/Q inputs but the mic input on it is only mono.
              73 de Arnie W8DU

              --
              http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Thereyouareduh.jpg
              Message 6 of 15 , May 28, 2014
                On Wed, 28 May 2014 17:45:23 -0400
                "Arnie w8du@... [linuxham]" <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                > Do I need to install any drivers for that audio dongle? I happen to
                > have that one sitting around and was hoping to use it for I/Q inputs
                > but the mic input on it is only mono.
                > 73 de Arnie W8DU

                No, plug and play.

                Message 7 of 15 , May 28, 2014
                  On Wed, 28 May 2014 17:45:23 -0400
                  "Arnie w8du@... [linuxham]" <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  > > --
                  > > http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Thereyouareduh.jpg

                  Some of the group members may have a problem with this, would you mind
                  not sending it as part of your signature line.

                  Thanks

                  Ed W3NR (linuxham list moderator)
                • Michael Coslo
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 28, 2014
                    Yup, they aren’t half bad. I paid 4 dollars for one off eBay. Works perfectly. if you plug it in, then do an lsusb in the terminal, it should show up. No driver needed.

                    -73 Mike N3LI -

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 1, 2014
                      Ed and all:
                      I did plug the audio dongle I have into the onboard USB port on the BBB Rev c running debian. It did light up but I did not see anything happen on the putty session. Is there a way to tell if it is 'online' or whatever the correct term is for my BBB to be able to use it? I want to use it for audio input to FLDIGI. I do notice that when I go into the BBB desktop via VNC and open the "mixer" under sound devices, I get an error saying "Gstreamer is unable to detect any sound devices. Some sound system specific packages may be missing. It may also be a permissions problem." If it matters, I log into the putty session as root and run tightvncserver from there. Should I be creating another user to login as and run tightvncserver from? If so, how do I do that?
                      Tnx es 73 de Arnie W8DU

                      On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Ed autek@... [linuxham] <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      On Wed, 28 May 2014 17:45:23 -0400
                      "Arnie w8du@... [linuxham]" <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      > Do I need to install any drivers for that audio dongle? I happen to
                      > have that one sitting around and was hoping to use it for I/Q inputs
                      > but the mic input on it is only mono.
                      > 73 de Arnie W8DU

                      No, plug and play.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 1, 2014
                        On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 15:46:01 -0400
                        "Arnie w8du@... [linuxham]" <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        > Ed and all:
                        > I did plug the audio dongle I have into the onboard USB port on the
                        > BBB Rev c running debian. It did light up but I did not see anything
                        > happen on the putty session. Is there a way to tell if it is 'online'
                        > or whatever the correct term is for my BBB to be able to use it? I
                        > want to use it for audio input to FLDIGI. I do notice that when I go
                        > into the BBB desktop via VNC and open the "mixer" under sound
                        > devices, I get an error saying "Gstreamer is unable to detect any
                        > sound devices. Some sound system specific packages may be missing. It
                        > may also be a permissions problem." If it matters, I log into the
                        > putty session as root and run tightvncserver from there. Should I be
                        > creating another user to login as and run tightvncserver from? If so,
                        > how do I do that? Tnx es 73 de Arnie W8DU

                        I've never ran VNC as root and that may be the problem. Plus I don't
                        understand where the Gstreamer came from and why. What is the system
                        using as a sound manager ?

                        I also never used Putty for VNC, in this case you might want to use the
                        tightvnc client or actually just about any VNC client.

                        You also need to study up on SSH.

                        Ed W3NR
                      • Arnie
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 1, 2014
                          Thanks Ed. I may not have expressed myself properly. I used putty to go in and start the tightvncserver. Once that was done, I used a VNC client to be able to see the BBB desktop. From there, I could run FLDIGI. When the cheapo usb audio dongle did not seem to work, I went into the mixer that is built into the bbb desktop and that brought up the "Gstreamer" error message. Well, I have finally got it working and it seems that to get the audio into FLDIGI I had to go into its configuration menu, select sound card and then select OSS and the dev/dsp1. Once I did that, it started working like a champ.
                          So....my previous question was whether, when starting tightvcserver from the command line on the bbb, I should have been logged in as root or a newuser? I have been getting the impression that running things from root is frowned upon and that maybe I should have created a newuser, logged into the command line as newuser and then run tightvncserver. IS that what I should be doing as a better practice?
                          Tnx es 73 de Arnie W8DU

                          On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 15:46:01 -0400

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 2, 2014
                            On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 16:52:16 -0400
                            "Arnie w8du@... [linuxham]" <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            > Thanks Ed. I may not have expressed myself properly. I used putty to
                            > go in and start the tightvncserver. Once that was done, I used a VNC
                            > client to be able to see the BBB desktop. From there, I could run
                            > FLDIGI. When the cheapo usb audio dongle did not seem to work, I went
                            > into the mixer that is built into the bbb desktop and that brought up
                            > the "Gstreamer" error message. Well, I have finally got it working
                            > and it seems that to get the audio into FLDIGI I had to go into its
                            > configuration menu, select sound card and then select OSS and the
                            > dev/dsp1. Once I did that, it started working like a champ.
                            > So....my previous question was whether, when starting tightvcserver
                            > from the command line on the bbb, I should have been logged in as
                            > root or a newuser? I have been getting the impression that running
                            > things from root is frowned upon and that maybe I should have created
                            > a newuser, logged into the command line as newuser and then run
                            > tightvncserver. IS that what I should be doing as a better practice?
                            > Tnx es 73 de Arnie W8DU

                            Good to hear you were successful, I would use Pulse for audio if its
                            available, but go with what works.

                            Using root to me is not a good idea unless the program requires you to
                            do so. One wrong keystroke could spell disaster.

                            If you can just run it with a user account make sure you have
                            safeguards in place. I would use SSH to log in, is that what you are
                            doing with Putty ?

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 2, 2014
                              On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 08:07:29 -0400
                              "Ed autek@... [linuxham]" <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                              > On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 16:52:16 -0400
                              > "Arnie w8du@... [linuxham]" <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Thanks Ed. I may not have expressed myself properly. I used putty to
                              > > go in and start the tightvncserver. Once that was done, I used a VNC
                              > > client to be able to see the BBB desktop. From there, I could run
                              > > FLDIGI. When the cheapo usb audio dongle did not seem to work, I
                              > > went into the mixer that is built into the bbb desktop and that
                              > > brought up the "Gstreamer" error message. Well, I have finally got
                              > > it working and it seems that to get the audio into FLDIGI I had to
                              > > go into its configuration menu, select sound card and then select
                              > > OSS and the dev/dsp1. Once I did that, it started working like a
                              > > champ. So....my previous question was whether, when starting
                              > > tightvcserver from the command line on the bbb, I should have been
                              > > logged in as root or a newuser? I have been getting the impression
                              > > that running things from root is frowned upon and that maybe I
                              > > should have created a newuser, logged into the command line as
                              > > newuser and then run tightvncserver. IS that what I should be doing
                              > > as a better practice? Tnx es 73 de Arnie W8DU
                              >
                              > Good to hear you were successful, I would use Pulse for audio if its
                              > available, but go with what works.
                              >
                              > Using root to me is not a good idea unless the program requires you to
                              > do so. One wrong keystroke could spell disaster.
                              >
                              > If you can just run it with a user account make sure you have
                              > safeguards in place. I would use SSH to log in, is that what you are
                              > doing with Putty ?
                              >
                              > Ed W3NR

                              Here is a good how-to for SSH

                              http://xmodulo.com/2012/06/how-to-install-ssh-on-linux.html

                              Ed W3NR
                            • Arnie
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 2, 2014
                                Yes. I use putty to start a ssh session. Thanks for the info links on using SSH itself. I will check it out, though if it just does what putty does as far as opening a ssh session, I will probably stick with putty. It is small (only around 480k) and requires no installation. Also, I will try to find out how to set up an additional user other than root. I did make a 'newuser' but when I went to the bbb desktop via vnc I got an error message saying that something needed to be added to 'netdevs', whatever and wherever that is.
                                73 de Arnie W8DU

                                On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Ed autek@... [linuxham] <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 16:52:16 -0400

                                "Arnie w8du@... [linuxham]" <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                > Thanks Ed. I may not have expressed myself properly. I used putty to
                                > go in and start the tightvncserver. Once that was done, I used a VNC
                                > client to be able to see the BBB desktop. From there, I could run
                                > FLDIGI. When the cheapo usb audio dongle did not seem to work, I went
                                > into the mixer that is built into the bbb desktop and that brought up
                                > the "Gstreamer" error message. Well, I have finally got it working
                                > and it seems that to get the audio into FLDIGI I had to go into its
                                > configuration menu, select sound card and then select OSS and the
                                > dev/dsp1. Once I did that, it started working like a champ.
                                > So....my previous question was whether, when starting tightvcserver
                                > from the command line on the bbb, I should have been logged in as
                                > root or a newuser? I have been getting the impression that running
                                > things from root is frowned upon and that maybe I should have created
                                > a newuser, logged into the command line as newuser and then run
                                > tightvncserver. IS that what I should be doing as a better practice?
                                > Tnx es 73 de Arnie W8DU

                                Good to hear you were successful, I would use Pulse for audio if its
                                available, but go with what works.

                                Using root to me is not a good idea unless the program requires you to
                                do so. One wrong keystroke could spell disaster.

                                If you can just run it with a user account make sure you have
                                safeguards in place. I would use SSH to log in, is that what you are
                                doing with Putty ?

                                Ed W3NR

                              • Andy
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 2, 2014

                                  >I would use SSH to log in, is that what you are
                                  >doing with Putty ?

                                  Ed,

                                  PuTTY is an SSH and Telnet client for Windows. In fact it's not "an" SSH client but "the" SSH client for Windows!

                                  Andy
                                  MM0FMF