USB to Serial cable Radio Shack 260-0183

  • mmcglensey
    Message 1 of 29 , May 20 2:47 PM

      I've got HRD running on Ubuntu 12.04 under Wine. Has anybody had experience with Radio Shack's USB to rs232 cable # 260-183. I need to go from the usb on the PC to a serial interface on my TS-570. All advice are appreciated.

      Thanks

    • Geoff NW7GM
      Message 2 of 29 , May 20 2:50 PM

        Not sure about that particular one, but I try to stick to only FTDI chip based adapters. I've never had a problem with one on either Linux or Windows. Can't say the same about Prolific chip based ones.

        Geoff, NW7GM
        Seattle, WA
        CN87tr

        On May 20, 2014 2:48 PM, "mmcg29440@... [linuxham]" <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I've got HRD running on Ubuntu 12.04 under Wine. Has anybody had experience with Radio Shack's USB to rs232 cable # 260-183. I need to go from the usb on the PC to a serial interface on my TS-570. All advice are appreciated.

        Thanks

      • David Sanders W4DES
        Message 3 of 29 , May 20 3:08 PM
          Stay away from the prolific chip set like the one on the radio shack cable.  Here is one with the ftdi chipset that has a good reputation:

          73, David W4DES

          On May 20, 2014, at 5:47 PM, mmcg29440@... [linuxham] <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I've got HRD running on Ubuntu 12.04 under Wine. Has anybody had experience with Radio Shack's USB to rs232 cable # 260-183. I need to go from the usb on the PC to a serial interface on my TS-570. All advice are appreciated.

        • Michael Pittaro
          Message 4 of 29 , May 20 3:15 PM
            On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 3:08 PM, David Sanders W4DES
            w4des@... [linuxham] <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            > Stay away from the prolific chip set like the one on the radio shack cable. Here is one with the ftdi chipset that has a good reputation:
            >

            > http://www.amazon.com/GearMo%c2%ae-36inch-Windows-Certified-Drivers/dp/B004WM1WUY

            +1 on the FTDI chipset recommendation. The Linux drivers are solid.

            I've had good success with this adapter from Valley Enterprises:
            http://www.amazon.com/Valley-Enterprises-Serial-Adapter-Chipset/dp/B003N9TYW0/

            mike KJ6VCP
          • mm0fmf
            Message 5 of 29 , May 20 3:25 PM
              On 20/05/2014 23:08, David Sanders W4DES w4des@... [linuxham]
              wrote:
              > Stay away from the prolific chip set

              That's a little unfair on Prolific! Genuine Prolific chips work fine,
              the problem is due to counterfeit Prolific chips from China that don't
              work properly.

              However, supporting FTDI is good of you as they are based about 35miles
              from me and I have several friends who work in their design dept. :-)

              I can't comment on the RS cable other than if you buy from a real
              bricks'n'mortar shop you should have an easier job getting in changed or
              a refund if it doesn't work.

              http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?328002-Prolific-confirms-Counterfeit-Prolific-ICs-in-USB-cables-originating-from-China

              Andy
              MM0FMF
              Message 6 of 29 , May 20 4:12 PM
                On Tue, 20 May 2014 23:25:24 +0100
                "mm0fmf mm0fmf@... [linuxham]" <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                > That's a little unfair on Prolific! Genuine Prolific chips work fine,
                > the problem is due to counterfeit Prolific chips from China that
                > don't work properly.
                >
                > However, supporting FTDI is good of you as they are based about
                > 35miles from me and I have several friends who work in their design
                > dept. :-)

                > Andy
                > MM0FMF

                Thanks Andy, I totally agree with you. I use a Sabrent with a FTDI chip
                and it works perfectly in Linux as well as MS and OS X.

                Sabrent is available from Amazon at a decent price.

                RS and Ebay are not the place to but a FTDI cable.

                Ed W3NR

                http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sabrent
              • Geoff NW7GM
                Message 7 of 29 , May 20 4:14 PM

                  The trouble is, Andy, you never know when you're getting one of the fake chips.

                  Geoff, NW7GM
                  Seattle, WA
                  CN87tr

                  wrote:
                  > Stay away from the prolific chip set

                  That's a little unfair on Prolific! Genuine Prolific chips work fine,
                  the problem is due to counterfeit Prolific chips from China that don't
                  work properly.

                  However, supporting FTDI is good of you as they are based about 35miles
                  from me and I have several friends who work in their design dept. :-)

                  I can't comment on the RS cable other than if you buy from a real
                  bricks'n'mortar shop you should have an easier job getting in changed or
                  a refund if it doesn't work.

                  http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?328002-Prolific-confirms-Counterfeit-Prolific-ICs-in-USB-cables-originating-from-China

                  Andy
                  MM0FMF

                • Michael Coslo
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 20 5:58 PM
                    Why? I have used both Prolific and FTDI. Both work equally well.

                    - 73 Mike N3LI -

                    Message 9 of 29 , May 20 6:03 PM
                      Price and Ebay are pretty good indicators.

                      But it’s terribly unfair to condemn Prolific just because of the counterfeits. If personally set up about 50 Prolifics, and every one worked FB. Well, except for the one that was struck by lightning…..

                      - 73 Mike N3LI -

                      On May 20, 2014, at 7:14 PM, Geoff NW7GM geoff.nw7gm@... [linuxham] <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      > The trouble is, Andy, you never know when you're getting one of the fake chips.
                    • Richard Shaw
                      Message 10 of 29 , May 20 7:26 PM
                        If cheap is OK for you then this works well under linux:

                        It is Prolific but it's the real deal, PL2303, not a counterfeit.

                        Richard
                      • Dave B
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 21 2:23 AM
                          > 2g. Re: USB to Serial cable Radio Shack 260-0183
                          > Posted by: "Geoff NW7GM" geoff.nw7gm@... nw7gm
                          > Date: Tue May 20, 2014 4:14 pm ((PDT))
                          >
                          > The trouble is, Andy, you never know when you're getting one of the
                          > fake chips.

                          Prolific themselves are not the bad boy's in this case.

                          Plus, the Chinese bar stewards, are now churing out fake FTDI chips too!

                          In both cases, these fake chips are in reality microcontrolers programed to
                          emulate the OEM parts. There is a website where someone has reverse
                          engineerd some of the fake parts, even etching the chip back to see what it
                          was, discovering it's a much more complex issue in the process.

                          You can't blame the OEM's for doing whatever they can to protect their brand
                          and intelectual property.

                          All this is very well documented if you do the research to find out exactly what
                          is going on.

                          If you want the genuine good stuff. Buy direct from either Prolific or FTDI's
                          officail agents. FTDI for one, via RS/Farnell etc, sell made up lead assemblies
                          at reasonable cost, that of course "just work" as expected.

                          73.

                          Dave G0WBX.
                        • mmcglensey
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 24 5:20 PM
                            Ive installed the cable on my ubuntu box. I believe its working. The ouput of dmesg is listed below.

                            [    0.375408] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
                            [    0.375408] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
                            [    0.375408] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
                            [    1.074338] usbcore: registered new interface driver libusual
                            [    1.440036] usb 1-7: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci_hcd
                            [    1.844044] usb 1-9: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci_hcd
                            [    1.980215] scsi6 : usb-storage 1-9:1.0
                            [    1.980333] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
                            [    2.280032] usb 2-3: new full-speed USB device number 2 using ohci_hcd
                            [   43.135661] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
                            [   43.184062] usb 1-7: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci_hcd
                            [   43.677749] Registered led device: rt73usb-phy0::radio
                            [   43.677780] Registered led device: rt73usb-phy0::assoc
                            [   43.677812] Registered led device: rt73usb-phy0::quality
                            [   43.678298] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt73usb
                            [   43.678309] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
                            [   43.678316] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
                            [   43.765177] usb 2-3: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
                            [   43.765202] usbcore: registered new interface driver pl2303

                            I'm running HRD under Wine. When I try to connct to my TS-570 using com1 @ 9600 baud I get the following error: "Error setting port status - Invalid handle. Make sure your radio is on and not in memory mode. If a nonstandard cable may have to set rts or dtr. Make sure packet mode is off".

                            I have fiddled with every setting and I still cannot connect. If anybody has HRD running under linux and has a sloution please let me know.

                            All replies are appreciated.

                            73 Marty, N3MOW
                          • bernhard.wolf@sbcglobal.net
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 24 5:32 PM
                              Find out what com port is used to connect HRD to your Kenwood. It should be likely either com1 or com3.
                              Once you have found which one it is, go to .wine/dosdevices in yur home directory and make sure there is a symbolic link to the desired comport (shows up as a file in your file browser). If it is not present, you need to open a terminal in the dosdevices directory and type ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 com1 (or com3, if you use this one).
                              Turn off the radio. Turn the radio back on. Restart HRD under wine. If this does not work, check that the settings in HRD for your specific model of Kenwood are correct.

                              73 de Bernhard, KE5AKG
                            • kc9lwk@sbcglobal.net
                              Message 14 of 29 , May 24 5:51 PM
                                If you have the 570-D check menu #35.
                                The defaults are 9600 baud 1 stop bit, but I use 57600 8N1 in all software without problems with the Prolific chipset.
                                73 de Mike
                              • Martin McGlensey
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 25 8:12 AM

                                  Thanks for your responses. I tried again this morning. Went to menu #35 on the TS-570 and set 576 – 1. Redid the link in .wine/dosdevices (sudo ln –s /dev/ttyUSB0 com3). Added new connection to HRD for Kenwood TS-570 using com3 at 57600. Turned radio on then HRD. This time it did connect. I can control the radio from HRD. I did lose the connection once though. It came back when I rebooted the PC and radio. Plan to use it today and will let you know how it goes.

                                  Now if I could get the logbook going… I think this is a problem with the ODBC setup/driver to use MS .mdb database. WineHQ indicates that HRD 5.24 build 36 should work. I’ve loaded build 38. That also should work.

                                  73

                                  Marty, N3MOW

                                • Michael Coslo
                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 25 1:38 PM
                                    Yes, it is indeed a problem.

                                    Try this:

                                    Go to http://pastebin.com/W6DPz6PR

                                    And download the registry file. Mine came in as .txt, so you’ll need to change that to .reg, and import it into the wine registry. Works FB after that.

                                    - 73 Mike N3LI -

                                    On May 25, 2014, at 11:12 AM, 'Martin McGlensey' mmcg29440@... [linuxham] <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                    > Now if I could get the logbook going… I think this is a problem with the ODBC setup/driver to use MS .mdb database. WineHQ indicates that HRD 5.24 build 36 should work. I’ve loaded build 38. That also should work.
                                  • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 25 2:45 PM
                                      Stay Away!  Don't even go near it.  A POX upon RadioShack for selling that adapter.

                                      Better is available, that adapter was a nightmare and I had to throw it out.

                                      David N1EA

                                      On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 5:47 PM, mmcg29440@... [linuxham] <linuxham@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                      I've got HRD running on Ubuntu 12.04 under Wine. Has anybody had experience with Radio Shack's USB to rs232 cable # 260-183. I need to go from the usb on the PC to a serial interface on my TS-570. All advice are appreciated.

                                      Thanks

                                    • Hugo W. Catta
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 25 2:58 PM
                                        Hi David,

                                        Could you elaborate about the RS unit?
                                        I use one for work and need to justify a reason to throw it out and get paid for a different one.
                                        Also, what do you presently use instead?

                                        Thank You,

                                        Hugo - AA1XV

                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 25 4:20 PM
                                          I’d pay the 5 dollars for a priority mail postal shipping if you get rid of it.….

                                          - 73 Mike N3LI -

                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 26 8:40 AM

                                            Mike,

                                            Thanks for the information. I think that the RS 260-183 RS232 converter is working OK now. The key was to put it on com3.

                                            I tried the registry file you suggested however, that did not help. Now I’m getting the “Error adding DSN HRD My Logbook – Access could not load the setup or translator library” message. I tried to add the DSN via odbcad32.exe but although it would execute I could not add the DSN got error 126.

                                            It’s looking for setup and translator  library.

                                            Looking at the DSN for HRD my logbook it shows the driver as  Access Dbase .dbf  .ndx .mdx driver. In the registry the driver is set to ACEODBC.dll.

                                            On my Windows box the driver for the logbook is set to Microsoft access .mdb. That driver should be odbcjt32.dll. I’m thinking of changing all references , in the registry, to the HRD logbook driver to odbcjt32.dll and see what happens. What do you think?

                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 27 12:33 PM
                                              have you installed the following native windows programs...they are required:

                                              Following winetricks needed:
                                              jet40 mdac28 art2kmin
                                              (to install type: winetricks jet40 mdac28 art2kmin)

                                              If no, do as above, if yes, try installing any native windows dlls you think you might need...

                                              73, Bernhard KE5AKG
                                            • Martin McGlensey
                                              Message 22 of 29 , May 28 5:09 AM

                                                Yes I have installed the programs you mentioned. I am now chasing the .dll’s. I think that is the problem. I’ve now got the proper drivers in place but, there is still the “error 126” problem. I think that the “Unable to create DSN…” is also due to a missing dll. If somebody who has HRD Logbook working

                                                could send me a list of the .dll files  in the system32 directory; that would be most helpful.

                                                73

                                                Marty, N3MOW

                                              • Martin McGlensey
                                                Message 23 of 29 , May 29 8:44 AM

                                                  So far I HRD running and connecting to my radio but, the logbook continues to be a problem. The latest error is "unable to load/open msjter40.dll". I've installed jet40, mdac28 and the access runtime via winetricks. Modified the registry to get the proper drives attached to the .mdb file.

                                                  To get this far I've had to add the following .dlls:

                                                  odbc32.dll

                                                  odbccp32.dll

                                                  odbcjt32.dll

                                                  odbcj32.dll

                                                  msjet40.dll

                                                  msjter40.dll

                                                  According to the net this error is caused by a missing msrclr40.dll file. Adding it to windows/system32 does not help. I cannot edit or create a DSN using odbcad32.exe. That errors out (error 126 cannot find setup or translator). Funny that this (msrclr40.dll) file  is not on my vista system and HRD runs there. I'm now thinking that there is a problem with the Jet40 install.

                                                  Should I 1) remove wine 1.6 and install 4.7.X or 2) Create new wine prefix and start fresh. Others have the logbook running so I must be missing something, but what?

                                                  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

                                                • bernhard.wolf@sbcglobal.net
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , May 29 9:17 AM
                                                    You obviously know much more about Windows than I do, I have not used a windows PC since 2008 and despise everything microsoft. Nevertheless logbook is running for me, even though I do not use HRD anynore and use fldigi instead. Therefore I can only relate my experience with wine,not the specific dlls: If you run into trouble, starting over with a clean wineprefix often helps. In addition, wine 1.16, even though marketed as stable, is actually more "ancient" than "stable". I would definitely try the latest development release available for your distro...I always use the latest release, I think they are at 1.7.19 . I have never gotten HRD to work on 1.16, so there might be an issue right there...although, as I said, I really don't know enough about windows to offer more than a guess. Also, I run HRD in windows XP compatibility mode in a 32bit wine prefix.
                                                  • bernhard.wolf@sbcglobal.net
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , May 29 9:19 AM
                                                      Sorry...version # is 1.17.19, of course. Typo.
                                                    • Martin McGlensey
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , May 30 1:55 PM

                                                        Okay Guys. I finally got HRD Logbook running. The problem was the mdac27 install. I know that mdac28 was specified in the install instructions but, when I ran mdac_typ.exe in the system32 directory the logbook loaded and ran. When I installed jet40 with winetricks I got a request to download mdac27. I did not know how to respond and had the feeling that it did not install. So I tried installing it manually. That worked. When I tried the same trick with MDAC28 (MDAC_TYP.EXE) it told me it could not install on this OS (Ubuntu 12.04).

                                                        I assume that that is because I’m using version 1.6.1 of Wine and maybe an older version of Winetricks. What does the group think of that possibility?

                                                        Now I guess the bigger question is should I delete/uninstall everything and update Wine and Winetricks and reinstall HRD? I’m leaning, after about four days of work on it) to leave well enough alone unless there would be a significant advantage in updating. Let me know what you all think.

                                                        73

                                                        Marty, N3MOW

                                                      • mmcglensey
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jun 18, 2014
                                                          FWIW I've got HRD, HRD Logbook and TQSL working uner wine. To me it was well worth the effort to get it going. Learned a lot about wine and HRD doing the install and research.

                                                          Thanks to all who offered advice!

                                                          73,
                                                          Marty, N3MOW
                                                        • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jun 20, 2014

                                                            I have no idea if this is solved, but I'm going to add my two cents.

                                                            I got HRD (the last free version) installed by doing this:

                                                            winetricks jet40 mdac28 art2km

                                                            This runs a script that goes to Downloads dot com and has you download files.

                                                            You have to save the file in the location that the script tells you.
                                                            Some file managers - like GNOME's Nautilus don't show you the hidden folders when you are prompted to "Save As",
                                                            but if you type in the full file location in the location box at the top,
                                                            it accepts even hidden folders - well, as long as you make it hidden by using
                                                            the period before the name of the folder. (Grin).

                                                            Then I went to the folder where HRD 5.2438 was located and I gave the command
                                                            wine ./setuphrd52438.exe

                                                            It works perfectly!

                                                            I get absolutely NO errors.

                                                            I am using Arch Linux.kernel 3.14.4-1 i686.

                                                            uname -a
                                                            archlaptop 3.14.4-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 13 16:44:54 CEST 2014 i686 GNU/Linux

                                                            73
                                                            David N1EA

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Jun 21, 2014

                                                              Thank you David. I did get it up and running. Same for TQSL. 73, Marty