Fldigi on Google Nexus 7 running Ubuntu

  • Harry Bloomberg
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 21, 2013
      I've installed Ubuntu Touch Saucy Salamander (13.10) on a refurbished Google Nexus 7 (2012) and need some help running fldigi.

      I was able to install fldigi from a repository:

      sudo apt-get install fldigi

      For good measure I also downloaded the fldigi dependencies that one needs when building from scratch.

      The problem is, how do I now run fldigi?  I don't see an fldigi icon anywhere on the device, and when I try to run it from a terminal I receive an error message indicating that fldigi is not able to open the display.  Anybody have any ideas?  My expectation was that in installing from the repository, it should just work.  Or do I have to build completely from source, which is no problem for me as I've done it many times on non-tablet systems.

      I just deleted a long rant about the poor quality of Ubuntu Touch, but I'll save that for another day when and if I ever get Fldigi working.

      73,
      Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
      hbloomb@...
    • Marc Coevoet
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 21, 2013
        op 22-11-13 04:11, Harry Bloomberg schreef:
        > Google Nexus 7

        Does X work?

        run fldigi as root?

        Marc

        http://shortwave dot tk
        700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations dot tk
        300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages dot tk
      • Geoff McAlpin
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 22, 2013

          Not knowing what the gui of the touch version of Ubuntu looks like, it's hard for me to know where the icon is, but it usually webs up under the 'internet' applications (don't ask me why as it doesn't make sense to me).

          Also, it was suggested to see if X works, you should look into that as well.

          Geoff McAlpin, NW7GM (ex N7PGN)
          Seattle, WA
          CN87tr

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 22, 2013
            Alas, it's looking like Fldigi just won't run under Ubuntu Touch.  From https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/FAQ :

            Which applications do run on Ubuntu Touch?

            Ubuntu Touch is primarily designed to support web apps, and native apps programmed in qml and javascript or C++. As it is a real linux, of course all non graphical applications run equally as on any other linux system. You can ssh to Ubuntu Touch and run any console based application.

            X11 is not supported (so far) so all GUI standard applications will not run.

            Just to say that I tried, I am recompiling from source.  I will also ask the Ubuntu Touch developers.  And yes, I did try running fldigi as root.

            This is disappointing because I think a previous version of Ubuntu for the Nexus 7 did support Fldigi.  I'll let folks know how this is resolved one way or the other.

            73,
            Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
            hbloomb@...

          • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 22, 2013
                  I did some more digging and you are right!  Thanks for getting me back on the right track.  I want regular Ubuntu, not Ubuntu Touch.

                  73,
                  Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
                  hbloomb@...

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 22, 2013
                        Installed 13.04 on my Nexus 7, installed fldigi (sudo apt-get install fldigi) from a repository, ran the fldigi command from a terminal, and I'm in the Fldigi installation wizard!  Thanks!

                        Alas, the virtual keyboard isn't coming up when I touch an input box in a wizard, so it's off to find a USB keyboard and then plug in the USB adapter cable, but this is progress.

                        When I'm finished, I'll write up the steps for installation and email it to the group.  The official Ubuntu instructions are a bit out of date and require you use a manual install rather than a GUI flash installer.

                        73,
                        Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
                        hbloomb@...

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 22, 2013
                          I got it to work and I now have the musical tones of Olivia coming out of the speaker of the Nexus 7!  I also see audio in the waterfall.

                          The virtual keyboard did not open during the Fldigi wizard so I was forced to plug in a USB mouse and keyboard to finish setting up the program.  But the virtual keyboard does come up once you've finished installation.

                          Now I'll see if I can be greedy and get rig control and a Signalink to work.  I also need to learn more about how to use Ubuntu on touch devices.  When I touch the CQ button, for example, I see the tooltip displayed.  I'd rather be able to send CQ.  But in the meantime the USB mouse and keyboard work OK.

                          73,
                          Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
                          hbloomb@...