OS X Clean Slate - Upgrade to Mavericks

  • Joel Black
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 26, 2013
      I am contemplating updating from Mountain Lion to Mavericks.  I would like to do that and wipe the computer at the same time.

      Up until a year ago, I was a long time Windows user.  I have really enjoyed the Mac, but over the past year, I have installed and removed several programs.  I am worried about lingering program files left on the computer from those removals.  The computer is *not* running slow and I am having no issues that I can think of. In the past, when I would upgrade a version of Windows, it would be a clean start - completely wipe it and then re-install everything. This was usually a two-day process.

      Is it worthwhile to wipe it clean and then upgrade even if I have no issues that I can see?

      73,
      Joel - W4JBB
    • David Stevens
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 26, 2013

        Hi.

        I just upgraded from Mountain Lion to Mavericks on my mid-2007 iMac 24" with no problems. My suggestion is to purchase the program, "Clean my Mac 2". It does a great job of removing unwanted files and you can do it automatically or just drag and drop the files you want. It is $39.95 I believe, but I think you also get a free trial period. It's been awhile since I purchased it and I leave it running in the background with no problems on auto.

        I'm just in the middle of setting up my shack again here in our new qth and don't have any antennas up yet but hope to do that this week or next.

        73 de Dave VE3NN

        Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 26, 2013

          --
          Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
          706 Flightline Drive
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 26, 2013
            On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Joel Black <w4jbb@...> wrote:

            I am contemplating updating from Mountain Lion to Mavericks.

            Don't. I have had several people report failure of important applications under Mavericks. Some change they have made is not backwards compatible with some number of applications. And the applications seem to be all over the map so it appears it may be something basic.

            Now ask yourself, is my computer running all the programs that I need to run? If so, why are you in a hurry to upgrade?

            I would like to do that and wipe the computer at the same time.

            Yeah, big mistake.

            Up until a year ago, I was a long time Windows user.  I have really enjoyed the Mac, but over the past year, I have installed and removed several programs.  I am worried about lingering program files left on the computer from those removals.  The computer is *not* running slow and I am having no issues that I can think of. In the past, when I would upgrade a version of Windows, it would be a clean start - completely wipe it and then re-install everything. This was usually a two-day process.

            The underlying structure of MacOS is very, very different from Windows. The issue of having to periodically clean-up your computer just doesn't happen with the Mac the same way it does with Windows. The Mac I am typing this message on is 6 years old and has gone through at least three OS upgrades with no "clean up". It runs just fine.

            Is it worthwhile to wipe it clean and then upgrade even if I have no issues that I can see?

            If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

            --
            Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
            706 Flightline Drive
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 27, 2013
              ** Reply to message from Brian Lloyd <brian-wb6rqn@...> on Sat, 26 Oct
              2013 14:34:13 -0500

              Suggestion. Go to: http://roaringapps.com/apps and see if your apps are
              listed as good on Mavericks. Very useful site and, to me, essential to check
              out before upgrading. So far all my important apps are listed so one of these
              days I'm going to try it, but make up a full bootable system backup first.
              :)) I love it that the Mac will boot off of a Firewire HD. Gives a lot of
              peace of mind.

              Cliff

              > On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Joel Black <w4jbb@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > I am contemplating updating from Mountain Lion to Mavericks.
              > >

              > Don't. I have had several people report failure of important applications
              > under Mavericks. Some change they have made is not backwards compatible
              > with some number of applications. And the applications seem to be all over
              > the map so it appears it may be something basic.
              >
              > Now ask yourself, is my computer running all the programs that I need to
              > run? If so, why are you in a hurry to upgrade?
              >

              > > I would like to do that and wipe the computer at the same time.
              > >
              > Yeah, big mistake.
              >
              > > Up until a year ago, I was a long time Windows user. I have really
              > > enjoyed the Mac, but over the past year, I have installed and removed
              > > several programs. I am worried about lingering program files left on the
              > > computer from those removals. The computer is **not** running slow and I
              > > am having no issues that I can think of. In the past, when I would upgrade
              > > a version of Windows, it would be a clean start - completely wipe it and
              > > then re-install everything. This was usually a two-day process.
              > >
              > The underlying structure of MacOS is very, very different from Windows. The
              > issue of having to periodically clean-up your computer just doesn't happen
              > with the Mac the same way it does with Windows. The Mac I am typing this
              > message on is 6 years old and has gone through at least three OS upgrades
              > with no "clean up". It runs just fine.
              >

              > > Is it worthwhile to wipe it clean and then upgrade even if I have no
              > > issues that I can see?
              > >

              > If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
              >
              > --
              > Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
              > 706 Flightline Drive
              > Spring Branch, TX 78070
              > brian@...
              > +1.916.877.5067 (USA)
            • Dick Kriss
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 27, 2013
                -- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Joel Black <w4jbb@...> wrote:

                > I am contemplating updating from Mountain Lion to Mavericks. I would
                > like to do that and wipe the computer at the same time.
                >
                > Up until a year ago, I was a long time Windows user. I have really
                > enjoyed the Mac, but over the past year, I have installed and removed
                > several programs. I am worried about lingering program files left on
                > the computer from those removals. The computer is *not* running slow
                > and I am having no issues that I can think of. In the past, when I would
                > upgrade a version of Windows, it would be a clean start - completely
                > wipe it and then re-install everything. This was usually a two-day process.
                >
                > Is it worthwhile to wipe it clean and then upgrade even if I have no
                > issues that I can see?
                >
                > 73,
                > Joel - W4JBB

                Ditto on Brian Lloyd WB5RQN/J79BPL’s comment “… If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”

                My advice is if your OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion setup is up to date and working, make a good clone backup on another drive, download the Mavericks installer from the App Store and let it do its thing. Plan on it taking about an hour. Once installed give the Spotlight time to reindex before you judge how well 10.9 performs. Indexing slows down everything on new install. You will need to run the Software Update for additional changes. Run the apps you use one at a time to find out if some need to be updated. Many of the developers have 10.9 updates and some like OnyX are still working on the OS 9 update. If you find some that you must have that do not work, you can boot to the cloned OS X 10.8.5 drive

                The Mavericks is still a work-in-process and some things need improvement. This is why I suggested you clone your 10.8.5 setup so if you really hate the Mavericks, you can get back to OS X 10.8.5 reasonably quick. FYI, yoiu cannot get the Apple Mountain Lion installer to install over Mavericks. You will have to erase the hard drive and start over using your Time Machine backup and that may take 24 hours.

                FYI, you will have no issues with W1HKJ’s family of fldigi programs with OS X 10.9.

                73 Dick AA5VU
              • ae1zradio

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 27, 2013
                    Joel,

                    I have always been fan of doing clean install when possible. No mater what the first step is always a full backup. That said, I have done 4 upgrades from Mountain Lion to Mavericks and I have have only had two issues:

                    1. Zenmap - The GUI will not load since the upgrade.  I have not tracked this down yet but I think it might be related to Python being updated form 2.7.2 to 2.7.5.
                    2. I had to reload the driver for my third party USB 3 gigabit Ethernet adapter.

                    I run many applications as my day job is managing the IT for a couple private schools.  All my USB to serial apps and Adobe programs still work.  If your running the latest version of Mountain Lion and have no issues now I would not be afraid to upgrade in place.  If your firy

                    If you want to do a clean install here is how:

                    1. Create a backup.  I like to be sure Time Machine has a full back up and then I create a second backup on an external drive using either Disk Utility or a cloning program like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.
                    2. Download the Mavericks Installer from the App Store. When your prompted to install cancel.
                    3. Locate the Install OS X Mavericks package in your Applications folder.
                    4. Right click the package and choose show package contents.
                    5. Navigate to Contents\SharedSupport.  You should see InstallESD.dmg in that folder.
                    6. Use disk utility to create a bootable USB drive.  An 8 GB drive should do the trick.
                    7. Boot off the newly created USB drive.
                    8. When the Install screen shows up use Disk Utility to reformat your existing boot drive. then exit Disk Utility and run the install.
                    9. When your done with the install you can use the Migration Assistant to restore your data and if you choose your applications.

                    AE7HS
                    ae7hs@...

                  • Mike Murphree
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 28, 2013
                      Joel,

                      Unless you have a good reason to believe you need a clean install, I wouldn't.   I recently gave my MacBook Pro to my son for college, and it took a couple of weeks to track down all of the extra application settings and information.  I opted not to restore my Time Machine backup to the new computer to control what was loaded to the SSD and the regular HD in the new one.

                      The last time that I needed a clean install was when I moved from Leopard to Snow Leopard.  Most people reported a healthy speed increase with Snow Leopard which I didn't see until after I did clean install.  All of the upgrades since have been fine without it.

                      73
                      Mike N4MHO

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 28, 2013

[...]

                        None of the tips to make a bootable USB drive seemed to work for me this time.  I was still able to get the installer on the USB drive and had to copy it to each computer's Application folder prior to the install.   All 5 computers have been upgraded now without issues though.

                        73
                        Mike N4MHO
                      • Cliff Scott
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 29, 2013
                          ** Reply to message from Mike Murphree <mike@...> on Mon, 28 Oct 2013
                          10:23:54 -0500

                          > On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM, AE7HS <ae7hs@...> wrote:
                          >

                          > > Joel,
                          > >
                          > > I have always been fan of doing clean install when possible. No mater what
                          > > the first step is always a full backup. That said, I have done 4 upgrades
                          > > from Mountain Lion to Mavericks and I have have only had two issues:
                          > >
                          > > 1. Zenmap - The GUI will not load since the upgrade. I have not tracked
                          > > this down yet but I think it might be related to Python being updated form
                          > > 2.7.2 to 2.7.5.
                          > > 2. I had to reload the driver for my third party USB 3 gigabit Ethernet
                          > > adapter.
                          > >
                          > > I run many applications as my day job is managing the IT for a couple
                          > > private schools. All my USB to serial apps and Adobe programs still work.
                          > > If your running the latest version of Mountain Lion and have no issues now
                          > > I would not be afraid to upgrade in place. If your firy
                          > >
                          > > If you want to do a clean install here is how:
                          > >

                          > > 1. Create a backup. I like to be sure Time Machine has a full back up
                          > > and then I create a second backup on an external drive using either Disk
                          > > Utility or a cloning program like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.
                          > > 2. Download the Mavericks Installer from the App Store. When your
                          > > prompted to install cancel.
                          > > 3. Locate the Install OS X Mavericks package in your Applications
                          > > folder.
                          > > 4. Right click the package and choose show package contents.
                          > > 5. Navigate to Contents\SharedSupport. You should see InstallESD.dmg
                          > > in that folder.
                          > > 6. Use disk utility to create a bootable USB drive. An 8 GB drive
                          > > should do the trick.
                          > > 7. Boot off the newly created USB drive.
                          > > 8. When the Install screen shows up use Disk Utility to reformat your
                          > > existing boot drive. then exit Disk Utility and run the install.
                          > > 9. When your done with the install you can use the Migration Assistant
                          > > to restore your data and if you choose your applications.
                          > >

                          > None of the tips to make a bootable USB drive seemed to work for me this
                          > time. I was still able to get the installer on the USB drive and had to
                          > copy it to each computer's Application folder prior to the install. All 5
                          > computers have been upgraded now without issues though.
                          >
                          > 73
                          > Mike N4MHO

                          The above tips work with Mountain Lion. For Mavericks there are a couple of
                          extra steps. Check it out here:
                          http://www.macworld.com/article/2056561/how-to-make-a-bootable-mavericks-install-drive.html.

                          Cliff
                          AE5ZA