Ubuntu 13.04 + fldigi (WX FAX RX) = shifted WX RX, it's me or some body have noticed this also...???

  • Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 21, 2013
      Weird thing this... Hi to all..

      I have recently moved to Ubuntu 13.04 with and upgrade, not a fresh
      install; and I have noticed some times a jump on video reproduction, but
      the annoying thing is that it's more pronounced when working
      digimodes... specially receiving WX

      Last night I tuned in the WX station and selected WX fax receiving... a
      time later I noticed to my surprise that the images are equally shifted
      approximately each 3 minutes... like if the CPU hangs for a little time
      and the image shift to the right...

      I changed from pulse to portaudio and then to custom kernel with oss,
      the same thing, tried different versions of fldigi... the same...

      I then play close attention to my PC and feels like the CPU has a timed
      (about 3 min each) CPU rush of processing, but I watched closely the
      system monitor and the "top" utility on console, but I can't spot a peak
      of CPU power consumption... from any software...

      I ask this to discard a Ubuntu error/bug and proceed to a clean install
      from CD...

      73....
    • IZ1TGH Roberto Waha
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 21, 2013
        Hi everyone!

        2013/10/21 Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa <pavel@...>

        I have recently moved to Ubuntu 13.04 with and upgrade, not a fresh
        install; and I have noticed some times a jump on video reproduction, but
        the annoying thing is that it's more pronounced when working
        digimodes... specially receiving WX
        [...]

        I changed from pulse to portaudio and then to custom kernel with oss,
        the same thing, tried different versions of fldigi... the same...

        Same thing happening here, but it started when I updated from Xubuntu 11.10 to Xubuntu 12.04 LTS.
        What's your hardware, Pavel?

        Here it's a Packard Bell (=ACER) netbook.

        +------------=* IZ1TGH Roberto Waha - IZ1TGH@... *=-------------+
        |          El Senyor és la meva força, el Senyor el meu cant.         |
        |       Ell m'ha estat la salvació. En Ell confío i no tinc por.      |
      • Larry Levesque
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 21, 2013
          Did you remove modem-manager?

          --
          Larry Levesque
        • Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 21, 2013
            Hi Roberto,

            Thanks for the answer, hardware here is Asus P5KPL-CM + Core2 Duo CPU @ 3.0 Ghz + 4 Gb RAM, Ubuntu 13.04 @32bits upgraded from 12.04 LTS

            I have googled a little today and I can't find a reference of this error/bug...

            So.. tonight I will make a fresh install from the CD + upgrade from the local repo and tomorow will comment about it...

            73

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 21, 2013
              El 21/10/13 15:59, Larry Levesque escribió:

              Did you remove modem-manager?

              Good point, I will try that before reinstall...

              73
            • IZ1TGH Roberto Waha
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 21, 2013
                Hi, Pavel!

                2013/10/21 Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa <pavel@...>
                So.. tonight I will make a fresh install from the CD + upgrade from the local repo and tomorow will comment about it...

                Many thanks. I'm glad I'm not alone, hi hi!
                The day before yesterday, a new version (13.10) of *buntu has been released.
                I'll try removing modemmanager too (thanks, Larry!) before trying a clean install.
                Not a big issue, really... but sometimes it's a little embarrassing when it happens in the middle of a QSO.

                73!

                --
                +------------=* IZ1TGH Roberto Waha - IZ1TGH@... *=-------------+
                |          El Senyor és la meva força, el Senyor el meu cant.         |
                |       Ell m'ha estat la salvació. En Ell confío i no tinc por.      |
              • David Ranch
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 21, 2013
                  Hey Pavel,

                  What was your old kernel version and your new one? Can you compile up
                  your own vanilla Linus kernel to do come comparisons? Try disabling
                  power management, reboot, and see if that changes anything. Could be an
                  issue with the CPU changing core frequencies.

                  Btw, is your soundcard built into the computer or is it external?

                  --David
                  KI6ZHD

                  On 10/21/2013 10:18 AM, Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa wrote:
                  > Weird thing this... Hi to all..
                  >
                  > I have recently moved to Ubuntu 13.04 with and upgrade, not a fresh
                  > install; and I have noticed some times a jump on video reproduction, but
                  > the annoying thing is that it's more pronounced when working
                  > digimodes... specially receiving WX
                  >
                  > Last night I tuned in the WX station and selected WX fax receiving... a
                  > time later I noticed to my surprise that the images are equally shifted
                  > approximately each 3 minutes... like if the CPU hangs for a little time
                  > and the image shift to the right...
                  >
                  > I changed from pulse to portaudio and then to custom kernel with oss,
                  > the same thing, tried different versions of fldigi... the same...
                  >
                  > I then play close attention to my PC and feels like the CPU has a timed
                  > (about 3 min each) CPU rush of processing, but I watched closely the
                  > system monitor and the "top" utility on console, but I can't spot a peak
                  > of CPU power consumption... from any software...
                  >
                  > I ask this to discard a Ubuntu error/bug and proceed to a clean install
                  > from CD...
                  >
                  > 73....

                • Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 22, 2013
                  Thanks to everyone for the comments...

                  Last night I tried disabling modem-manager, but no luck, the glitch is
                  still there...

                  David: I was Using the last 13.04 kernel, from the stock (repo, 3.8) and
                  then I recompile the src kernel from the repo to enable the oss support
                  (I use tvtime and other tools that need it) same results with custom oss
                  kernel.

                  Power manager is disabled... no luck...

                  Then I realized about a comment I read some time in a ubuntu site...
                  Ubuntu is made to migrate to the next release or to LTS releases only,
                  not to jump releases...

                  I migrated from 12.04 to 13.04, effectively jumping the 12.10 release,
                  so maybe a soft get stuck/miss-configured on the migration, etc...

                  Solution: Fresh install...

                  Last night I saved all the custom data in / and installed from ZERO...

                  A note: I use a /home partition to ease the process of reinstalling so
                  this was not a issue of user configuration, because I'm using the SAME
                  config as before...

                  So, my experience, try to not jumping releases when upgrading, strange
                  things can happen...

                  I attach a beautiful and clean last night WXFAX image received with
                  Fldigi 3.21.76AP as a proff, ;-)

                  Thanks for your cooperation...

                  Cheers, CO7WT, Pavel

                  El 21/10/13 13:18, Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa escribió:
                  > Weird thing this... Hi to all..
                  >
                  > I have recently moved to Ubuntu 13.04 with and upgrade, not a fresh
                  > install; and I have noticed some times a jump on video reproduction, but
                  > the annoying thing is that it's more pronounced when working
                  > digimodes... specially receiving WX
                  >
                  > Last night I tuned in the WX station and selected WX fax receiving... a
                  > time later I noticed to my surprise that the images are equally shifted
                  > approximately each 3 minutes... like if the CPU hangs for a little time
                  > and the image shift to the right...
                  >
                  > I changed from pulse to portaudio and then to custom kernel with oss,
                  > the same thing, tried different versions of fldigi... the same...
                  >
                  > I then play close attention to my PC and feels like the CPU has a timed
                  > (about 3 min each) CPU rush of processing, but I watched closely the
                  > system monitor and the "top" utility on console, but I can't spot a peak
                  > of CPU power consumption... from any software...
                  >
                  > I ask this to discard a Ubuntu error/bug and proceed to a clean install
                  > from CD...
                  >
                  > 73....

                • Remi Chateauneu
                  Message 9 of 14 , Oct 22, 2013
                    Very nice image, but can you please confirm you decoded it with Fldigi WEFAX ? Which frequency ?

                  • Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa
                    Message 10 of 14 , Oct 22, 2013
                      El 22/10/13 17:08, Remi Chateauneu escribió:

                      Very nice image, but can you please confirm you decoded it with Fldigi WEFAX ? Which frequency ?

                      Hi Remi,

                      The picture correspond to the transmission of the US NOAA Marine FAX service, exactly the New Orleans station, time and date is in the filename, freq 8502 Khz Dial USB + 1.9 Khz in audio carrier; TRX Yaesu FT-747GX.

                      This night I will send a full screen shoot if you like, not only the saved picture...

                      Actually I'm a very active "listener" of this WX transmissions, and when in the shack and doing other things I keep fldigi QRV in WX in one of the freqs of the New Orlean transmission center, freqs are programmed in the favorite list of fldigi...

                      I mainly use the ~4316 (very noisy and with shadows here lately) and 8502 (this is rock solid almost 24/7 here in Cuba) and eventually the others in 12 and 17 Mhz when propagation/interference does his thing.

                      I need  to thanks to the team of Fldigi who rewrite the WX modem in a recent time... wonderful work... the sync is perfect once you get the trick... (FLDIGI AGC disabled)

                      All the data is in the file automatic filename from fldigi...  "wefax_20131021_220932_8502010_phasing"

                      Wefax, 21 october 2013, 2209z with 32 seconds in 8502.01 Khz

                      The hamlib and the FT-747GX are always trying to sum +10 hz to the freq, even when the step of the PLL is in 25 Hz... that's why the 8502010 hz freq...

                      73 de CO7WT.

                    • Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa
                      Message 11 of 14 , Oct 22, 2013
                        El 22/10/13 17:08, Remi Chateauneu escribió:

                        Very nice image, but can you please confirm you decoded it with Fldigi WEFAX ? Which frequency ?

                        Forgot to say that the original png image was converted to jpg for size issues, I have a good library of good quality images from WX fax all received with different versions of Fldigi, of course I only save the good quality pictures...

                        The library date to 2011... wonderful images of tropical storms over Atlantic/Caribbean.

                        73
                      • Remi Chateauneu
                        Message 12 of 14 , Oct 22, 2013

                          Le 22.10.2013 22:29, Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa a écrit :

                          El 22/10/13 17:08, Remi Chateauneu escribió:

                          Very nice image, but can you please confirm you decoded it with Fldigi WEFAX ? Which frequency ?

                          Hi Remi,

                          The picture correspond to the transmission of the US NOAA Marine FAX service, exactly the New Orleans station, time and date is in the filename, freq 8502 Khz Dial USB + 1.9 Khz in audio carrier; TRX Yaesu FT-747GX.

                          They really have a completely different appearance from what we get from Northwood or Hambourg.

                          This night I will send a full screen shoot if you like, not only the saved picture...

                          Actually I'm a very active "listener" of this WX transmissions, and when in the shack and doing other things I keep fldigi QRV in WX in one of the freqs of the New Orlean transmission center, freqs are programmed in the favorite list of fldigi...

                          Oh, by the way, have you considered storing these frequencies in Perseus format, if you had the possiblity to reload them in the fldigi frequency list ? And did you test transmission also ?

                          I mainly use the ~4316 (very noisy and with shadows here lately) and 8502 (this is rock solid almost 24/7 here in Cuba) and eventually the others in 12 and 17 Mhz when propagation/interference does his thing.

                          I need  to thanks to the team of Fldigi who rewrite the WX modem in a recent time... wonderful work... the sync is perfect once you get the trick... (FLDIGI AGC disabled)

                          Maybe, we could:
                          * Automatically publish these files once they are saved (But it is already possible with XML-RPC I guess).
                          * Or create KML overlays with the maps, so they could be visible in google-earth. The only necessary thing is to detect coordinate three or four points from each map. Need some contour extraction for that.

                          Something similar to: http://www.discip.crdp.ac-caen.fr/histgeo/gearth3/printscreen/ScreenShot018.jpg but with wefax maps.

                          ( Please do not ask what the utility of this: It is just for the pleasure of superimposing low-res icebergs maps on a high-resolution 3D map of Groenland, for example )

                          All the data is in the file automatic filename from fldigi...  "wefax_20131021_220932_8502010_phasing"

                          Me forgetful, thanks.

                          Wefax, 21 october 2013, 2209z with 32 seconds in 8502.01 Khz

                          The hamlib and the FT-747GX are always trying to sum +10 hz to the freq, even when the step of the PLL is in 25 Hz... that's why the 8502010 hz freq...

                          73 de CO7WT.

                      • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                        Message 13 of 14 , Oct 24, 2013
                          Pavel,

                          I have been receiving WeFAX charts for over 35 years, I have never received such a perfect chart.  Now I understand why, you copy from NMG, New Orleans, LA.  Excellent.

                          The best WX chart I have received is from Canadian Armed Forces, Mill Cove, NS, CFH on their LF broadcast.  LF has much less flutter than HF and comes out very clear.

                          While at sea the best FAX charts were received with stations using scan rates of 60 which is half the usual of 120.  There was a station in USSR (now Russia) that broadcast on HF with these.

                          The hand drawn charts always came out better than the ones generated by computer as the lines were darker and heavier as were the numbers and the position arrows - the ones that looked like the letter F with lines indicating the wind speed and direction.

                          Beautiful, save some of these they are truly beautiful.

                          I really miss all the HF radio work that used to come out of CLA CLK CLW CLQ - beautiful Morse and RTTY (RATT) work.

                          73

                          David N1EA
                          Former operator at WSC Tuckerton Radio, NJ and radio officer, US Merchant ships.

                          Message 14 of 14 , Oct 25, 2013
                            Hi,

                            This WXFAX picture is one of the best I have received, most of the time it has little to medium QRM in the image, but some times with luck I get pictures like that.

                            The charts and other infos are less susceptible to image interference as it's just B&W drawings and some noise is not a problem...

                            This night/afternoon I will make a mix picture of the 4 freqs and will send it with a report to NOAA/Marine feedback as I do from time to time...

                            You will receive a copy as a courtesy.

                            73