Re: [linuxham] Trying fldigi 2.04 install

    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 3, 2007
      Rick wrote:
      > Hi Dave,
      >
      > I really appreciate the work that you are putting into this. Has this
      > been a problem all along?

      The problem is primarily with h/w manufacturers not releasing details on
      their products as Rick, K9AO, has pointed out on recent postings. Some
      never do, and others only after they think that there is no proprietary
      interests that might be revealed. That happens when someone else has
      built a better mouse trap and their product is no longer selling. Many
      volunteer Linux programmers try to reverse engineer the hardware and/or
      the Windows drivers. That is a very difficult endeavor and also fraught
      with the possibility of litigation. So they usually do the best they
      can with generic i/o for the those devices.
      > One of the things that I have never understood is why there is not more
      > information on what works and what does not. In other words, there are
      > many cases where hardware does not have the right driver or software to
      > work with Linux, even though everything works flawlessly with Windows
      > .or Mac. I have seen some limited lists, but after all these years I had
      > hoped to find something more definitive, but never have.

      There are many such lists. One of the better ones can be found here:

      http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/

      It might not be up-to-date with the latest gizmo, especially audio
      cards. The manufacturer's of audio cards are in steep competition for
      the audiophile and gaming market place.

      You're trying to use your system for amateur radio. Why not go with a
      piece of audio i/o that is designed for that purpose? I just looked
      through my December 2007 copy of QST and noted several advertised. Two
      that caught my eye are:

      page 106, Navigator, www.usinterface.com
      page 128, SignaLink USB, www.tigertronics.com

      Either might be a good hint for a Christmas present.

      I own and test the programs on both a SignaLink USB (no sound card
      required) and a SignaLink SL-1+ (requires a computer sound card). The
      SL-USB works fine on all of my test computers including an older HP
      Pavilion notebook.

      Some of the alpha test team have reported good results with a very
      inexpensive USB audio codec. I won't reveal who first tried it, but he
      has been in amateur radio for many years and a particularly strong
      advocate for psk and other digital modes.

      www.geeks.com, part # CL-SU4CH. At $6.95 it's a throw away item if it
      doesn't meet your needs.

      73, Dave, W1HKJ
    • Rick Kunath
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 7, 2007
        Hi Tim,

        Tim Gimmel wrote:
        > Rick,
        > The new portaudio stuff in Fldigi 2.05 fixed my problem with the
        > "ticking" sound. Can you tell me how it (portaudio) works, or give me
        > some hints that I can give to the alsa folks? WSJT 6 uses portaudio
        > also and would love to be able to make it work correctly. I have to
        > admit I have been working with Linux for over 10 years and I still just
        > don't understand the audio system. If you know of a site that has a
        > good explanation of Linux audio from oss to alsa to portaudio I would
        > love to read it!

        Portaudio is a cross platform API. It sits between your application and
        the underlying sound system, in most cases folks are using ALSA.

        In your case, you were able to use Portaudio and the FLdigi code to
        force a supported sample rate that your Intel HD sound card could handle
        natively. This is 44,100, 48,000. The card won't support lower sample
        rates, but digital apps want to use them, like 8000, 11,025, etc. There
        are a variety of standard sample rates for sound cards, yours does not
        support all of these (at least in Linux and ALSA.) And that's why the
        ticking. ALSA had to up convert, and the Intel HD driver for ALSA is not
        up to the task right now.

        Portaudio and a forced (in FLDIGI) supported sample rate fixed the
        ticking because no conversion was then needed on the sound stream.

        If WSJT can select a sample rate, you should be able to take care of the
        problem easily. You might want to ask Joe to put that in the code.

        Rick Kunath, k9ao