Re: [linuxham] Trying fldigi 2.04 install

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 3, 2007
      Hi Dave,

      I really appreciate the work that you are putting into this. Has this
      been a problem all along?

      One of the things that I have never understood is why there is not more
      information on what works and what does not. In other words, there are
      many cases where hardware does not have the right driver or software to
      work with Linux, even though everything works flawlessly with Windows
      .or Mac. I have seen some limited lists, but after all these years I had
      hoped to find something more definitive, but never have.

      Just having a "Do Not Buy" product list and a "Recommended" product list
      would be incredibly helpful to many of us and would have helped Linux
      adoption that much more. Every road block, and there seem to be too
      many, makes it a non-starter for most people. Because I post about Linux
      on a number of groups, I have hams privately writing to me for help with
      their frustrations and there is little I can do.

      73,

      Rick, KV9U

      w1hkj wrote:
      > The next version of fldigi will allow you to specify the sampling rate
      > for the sound card. Hopefully that will cure many of the "ticking" sound
      > cards. This was also noted by the alpha test team and the developers are
      > working on a solution. It primarily effects the Intel sound systems.
      > Version 2.05 is currently nearing the end of the test phase.
      >
      > Dave, W1HKJ

    • Rick Kunath
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 7, 2007
        Hi Tim,

        Tim Gimmel wrote:
        > Rick,
        > The new portaudio stuff in Fldigi 2.05 fixed my problem with the
        > "ticking" sound. Can you tell me how it (portaudio) works, or give me
        > some hints that I can give to the alsa folks? WSJT 6 uses portaudio
        > also and would love to be able to make it work correctly. I have to
        > admit I have been working with Linux for over 10 years and I still just
        > don't understand the audio system. If you know of a site that has a
        > good explanation of Linux audio from oss to alsa to portaudio I would
        > love to read it!

        Portaudio is a cross platform API. It sits between your application and
        the underlying sound system, in most cases folks are using ALSA.

        In your case, you were able to use Portaudio and the FLdigi code to
        force a supported sample rate that your Intel HD sound card could handle
        natively. This is 44,100, 48,000. The card won't support lower sample
        rates, but digital apps want to use them, like 8000, 11,025, etc. There
        are a variety of standard sample rates for sound cards, yours does not
        support all of these (at least in Linux and ALSA.) And that's why the
        ticking. ALSA had to up convert, and the Intel HD driver for ALSA is not
        up to the task right now.

        Portaudio and a forced (in FLDIGI) supported sample rate fixed the
        ticking because no conversion was then needed on the sound stream.

        If WSJT can select a sample rate, you should be able to take care of the
        problem easily. You might want to ask Joe to put that in the code.

        Rick Kunath, k9ao