Re: [linuxham] Trying fldigi 2.04 install

  • Rick Kunath
    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 3, 2007
      Rick wrote:
      > When you say improved performance, what does that mean? I mostly just
      > want it to work without any intervention as this stuff works flawlessly
      > in Windows and has for years.

      That's the advantage of a commercial (you pay for it, and they enforce
      driver standards, and make suppliers create at least somewhat acceptable
      drivers) OS. No one has to reverse engineer anything for suppliers that
      won't release hardware details.

      > The card that I put in was from my
      > junquebox so it surely is not something new. I liked having it so I
      > could set my Windows programs to run the front jack with the embedded
      > sound card (has rear jacks too but not using them) for casual listening
      > with headset. The "new" SoundBlaster card Live! was put in place so that
      > I could set up everything for ham digital use only and it is extremely
      > accurate (within a Hz or two) compared with the embedded card. Made a
      > big difference on how well some of the digital modes worked.

      Yep, that it will. Still, USB is going to have more latency than any PCI
      based card. That card can't be using the tried and true emu10k1 driver
      is it? us-audio likely. I don't know how well your card is supported
      sample-rate wise. The alsa folks have mad this harder to find out now.
      So you'll have to research this yourself.

      > The aliasing stuff is way over my head, but I have been able to run the
      > asoundconf-gtk program to give me a GUI to set the default card. It
      > still doesn't really seem to do this. At least not the way I think it
      > should work. But I can get the SB Live! card to work partially.

      Well, the second card and subsequent cards always need to be aliased if
      you want to use alsa-oss emulation or portaudio. If not, you don't need
      to. And the emulated oss mixer is a standard mixer, not necessarily the
      controls the fancy new cards will have these days, so the packager will
      make a guess what you need to go where. You have to alter that if you
      need to, or in some cases just get the stuff mapped right and pass along
      the details to the packager. The reason mapping is required is because
      of the oss standard emulated mixer and the differences in what controls
      the card has. The ALSA mixer will show the exact card controls.

      Aliasing is easy, the archive has the info when you get to that stage
      and if you need to. You might not. Yours might "just work". You'll see
      when you get it running.

      > Now on the binary, nothing is running from what I can tell. I would have
      > no way to know if my Bash shell is configured correctly, but it does
      > have bash as I recall when I use the CLI. It is not being called by the
      > ./fldigi command although I am not really sure what they command does,
      > as I only recently found out about it.

      It instructs the shell (likely you are using bash, the Bourne again
      shell) to execute the file. You could click on it, but would lose the
      terminal window and not see any errors the OS is reporting.

      > I do see the files OK with the ls
      > command and I am definitely in the correct directory when issuing the
      > command. From one other comment, someone else may have a similar problem.

      I'll defer to someone using Ubuntu, as I don't run that distro here.
      What you are doing should either launch fldigi or produce errors as to
      why not in the terminal. Permissions are right on the file?

      > What I am wondering is how many people are actually using the binary
      > form and having good luck with downloading it, and unrolling it?

      It works here, though I test it, preferring the source package built
      with the debug option for testing.

      Rick Kunath, k9ao
    • Rick Kunath
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 7, 2007
        Hi Tim,

        Tim Gimmel wrote:
        > Rick,
        > The new portaudio stuff in Fldigi 2.05 fixed my problem with the
        > "ticking" sound. Can you tell me how it (portaudio) works, or give me
        > some hints that I can give to the alsa folks? WSJT 6 uses portaudio
        > also and would love to be able to make it work correctly. I have to
        > admit I have been working with Linux for over 10 years and I still just
        > don't understand the audio system. If you know of a site that has a
        > good explanation of Linux audio from oss to alsa to portaudio I would
        > love to read it!

        Portaudio is a cross platform API. It sits between your application and
        the underlying sound system, in most cases folks are using ALSA.

        In your case, you were able to use Portaudio and the FLdigi code to
        force a supported sample rate that your Intel HD sound card could handle
        natively. This is 44,100, 48,000. The card won't support lower sample
        rates, but digital apps want to use them, like 8000, 11,025, etc. There
        are a variety of standard sample rates for sound cards, yours does not
        support all of these (at least in Linux and ALSA.) And that's why the
        ticking. ALSA had to up convert, and the Intel HD driver for ALSA is not
        up to the task right now.

        Portaudio and a forced (in FLDIGI) supported sample rate fixed the
        ticking because no conversion was then needed on the sound stream.

        If WSJT can select a sample rate, you should be able to take care of the
        problem easily. You might want to ask Joe to put that in the code.

        Rick Kunath, k9ao