Bizarrity

  • jhaynesatalumni
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 17, 2013
      Long story, some might find it amusing.

      I'm working with an old Dell C610 laptop and Fedora 19.  When I'm too close to
      the radio antenna the touchpad cursor gets all squrilley during transmission.

      I found that with only the battery charger cable connected to the computer
      (using CW on the radio) there is no problem.  Connecting either the sound
      cables or the RS-232 cable to the computer causes the problem to appear.
      Putting ferrite chokes on these cables doesn't seem to help.  Also running
      a ground wire between the radio and the computer didn't help.

      So I figured I'd trying connecting a real mouse to the mouse port on the back
      of the computer.  That seems to work fine; the real mouse doesn't seem to be
      affected by the RF.

      Then as I continued to test, suddenly I had no audio output from fldigi.  I beat
      on that for quite a while, not getting anywhere, until I disconnected the mouse
      and rebooted.  That restored the audio.  Plugging in the mouse with the computer
      running then worked a bit, but audio became sporadic and eventually quit.

      That's with a cheap 3-button mouse.  I've also tried a HP 2-button mouse and
      the audio works more reliably with that.  But I've forgotten how to get the system
      to emulate a 3-button mouse (even though it does it for the touch pad buttons).
      I tried a Logitech 3 button mouse and that kills the audio quite thoroughly.

      If I hadn't discovered it by accident I would never have imagined that using a
      mouse breaks the audio output.  The audio input continues to work fine during
      all this.  Also when the output is broken it seems to break the TX and RX buttons
      of flldigi, but the T/R button still works.

      Jim W6JVE
    • Geoff McAlpin
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 17, 2013

        Very strange indeed.

        If I'm remembering correctly (which very well may not be the case) pressing both the left and right mouse buttons simultaneously on a two-button mouse will emulate the third button on a three-button mouse.

        Geoff McAlpin, NW7GM (ex N7PGN)
        Seattle, WA
        CN87tr

        On Oct 17, 2013 9:04 PM, <jhhaynes@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Bob Goodwin ~ Zuni, Virginia, USA
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 18, 2013
          On 18/10/13 01:51, Geoff McAlpin wrote:

          > If I'm remembering correctly (which very well may not be the case)
          > pressing both the left and right mouse buttons simultaneously on a
          > two-button mouse will emulate the third button on a three-button mouse.
          >
          > Geoff McAlpin, NW7GM (ex N7PGN)
          > Seattle, WA
          > CN87tr

          With Fedora-19, only if enabled, from my notes:

          2013-01-01

          Add to - /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf

          Section "InputClass"
          Identifier "system-setup-keyboard"
          MatchIsKeyboard "on"
          Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
          EndSection

          Or for CTRL ALT BKSP do both of these:

          Section "InputClass"
          Identifier "whatever"
          MatchIsPointer "on"
          Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
          EndSection

          Section "InputClass"
          Identifier "system-setup-keyboard"
          MatchIsKeyboard "on"
          Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
          EndSection

          Bob

          --

          http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

          box10 Fedora-19/64 bit Linux/XFCE

          "Sorry to the American citizens - but you're being taken for a ride. Your country is broken and needs to be fixed."
          -- Steven Haigh
        • Richard Shaw
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 18, 2013
            On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM, <jhhaynes@...> wrote:

            Long story, some might find it amusing.

            I'm working with an old Dell C610 laptop and Fedora 19.  When I'm too close to
            the radio antenna the touchpad cursor gets all squrilley during transmission.

            Is one of your cables (due to it's length) resonant at the transmission frequency?

            Richard
          • Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 18, 2013
              El 18/10/13 00:04, jhhaynes@... escribió:

              > I'm working with an old Dell C610 laptop and Fedora 19. When I'm too
              > close to
              > the radio antenna the touchpad cursor gets all squrilley during
              > transmission.

              All the touchpad uses LF RF for it works, some of them has a
              oversensitivity for RF, try to tie the chassis of your laptop with a
              heavy wire to the ground wire or if not ground at all to the ground post
              of the transceiver. That solved my problems wit my old Inspiron 600 some
              time ago...

              Note: where to get a heart point for the laptop? easy, the tittle screws
              where the video/serial/parallel ports match..

              WARNING this is a guess and it may/may not work: If your laptops is so
              modern that have not this screws you may try with the chassis of one of
              the USB connectors... get a old and broken USB drive stripe of the
              plastic cover and PCB and weld a heavy wire to the chassis of the
              connector... this MAY do the job..

              The USB mouse HAVE to use a shielded cable, this is another trick I
              learned, I was ussing a pocket Toshiba USB mice for the laptop and when
              TX strange things was happening, lost of mouse at all, modulation of the
              backlight of the LCD screen, keyboard lockup and lost even the complete
              lockup of the laptop...

              Using a desk ASUS mouse solve the issue... inspection inside the mouse
              revealed a heavy threaded braid + aluminum foil

              Also I was using a cheap USB/SERIAL converter (Not FTDI, ark chip inside
              only tx/rx) that when using more than 10 W lockups and the device
              dissapeared both in Linux/windows, the device has a about 60cm of cable
              with a braid... I open the device and cut the cable to ELIMITATE it,
              some epoxy fix it in place and it work fine now with my 100 W rig...

              This make a glitch or two from time to time when I force my multi band
              antenna into a almost impossible match (high SWR)...

              73 de CO7WT.
            • jhaynesatalumni
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 18, 2013

                 Thanks.  I had missed the curve ball when xorg.conf was moved to /usr/share/X11

              • jhaynesatalumni
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 18, 2013

                  That's the way it's spozed to work, but apparently you have to do something to enable it.

                  Anciently when we had an xorg.conf file or something similar there was a switch for

                  emulate3buttons that could be turned on or off in the file.  But that file isn't used anymore.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 18, 2013

                     Thanks.  I tried the ground wire and it didn't help.

                    However this morning things are different - I get no audio output from the computer even

                    if I'm not using a plug-in mouse.  So maybe the audio gear in the computer is just broken.

                    I have another Dell C610 that I will try in a little while.

                    .
                  • Larry Irwin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 18, 2013
                      On 10/18/2013 10:52 AM, jhhaynes@... wrote:

                      That's the way it's spozed to work, but apparently you have to do something to enable it.

                      Anciently when we had an xorg.conf file or something similar there was a switch for

                      emulate3buttons that could be turned on or off in the file.  But that file isn't used anymore.

                        Log out of X, go to a text console (ctl alt f1), log in as root, type ps -A | grep -i dm to find the name of the display manager, kill the display manager process, then type:

                        xorg -configure

                        The 'x' may need to be capitalized.

                        This will produce a config file in the /root directory that you can edit then rename it to xorg.conf and move it to the xorg folder. Now reboot and hopefully all will be well.
                      Larry WB4HLX

                    • Brian Morrison
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 18, 2013
                        On 18 Oct 2013 08:52:35 -0700
                        jhhaynes@... wrote:

                        > Thanks. I had missed the curve ball when xorg.conf was moved
                        > to /usr/share/X11

                        It's also worth pointing out that Xorg and Fedora are trying to have an
                        X configuration that works without needing an xorg.conf file at all.

                        --

                        Brian Morrison
                      • jhaynesatalumni
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 18, 2013

                          After I fuddled around some more, and tried a different laptop, the transmit audio came back

                          and seems to work OK with the plugin mouse - for now - on both laptops.  And with a 3 button

                          mouse, so I won't mess with the 2-button one anymore.