Re: [linuxham] Trying fldigi 2.04 install

  • Tim Gimmel
    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 2, 2007
      On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 13:45 -0600, w1hkj wrote:
      > Rick wrote:
      > > It took quite a while, but Ubuntu 7.10 was the first Linux variant
      > that
      > > made it possible to drive my 22" widescreen Samsung with native
      > > resolution. So I can now dual boot between XP and Ubuntu on the
      > > emachines and have Vista on the HP computer with a KVM to switch
      > between
      > > them. I mostly use the Vista machine for general computer use and
      > the
      > > emachines for ham digital due to only wanting to set up the
      > interfacing
      > > for one computer. I have two sound cards in the emachines, the
      > built-in
      > > (but not very accurate Realtek) and a Sound Blaster Live MP3+ which
      > > works extremely well under XP with DXLab Commander/Multipsk or Ham
      > Radio
      > > Deluxe/Digital Master 780.
      > >
      > > While I can download fldigi 1.33 via the repository, and I can boot
      > the
      > > program, I still have the past problem of an interrupting of the
      > audio
      > > tones, instead of a pure tone when sending.
      > You might have to wait until the 2.05 release for a resolution to
      > your
      > intermittent sound card problem. Your sound card might require a
      > sampling rate of 44100 or 48000. It is probably performing internal
      > translation of the 8000 sample rate and mangling the audio.
      > > It shows the waterfall and
      > > phase lock on the scope but does not actually print anything on the
      > screen.

      I'm not 100 percent this is the same issue, but I have a Toshiba laptop
      with a Realtek HDA (Intel) sound system with a similar problem. I would
      describe it as a "ticking" sound in the audio. Same problem with gMFSK,
      WSJT 6 or any ham radio program for that matter. However regular sound
      such as music is fine. I have a bug report in at alsa-project.org
      (#3484). If it sounds similar let me know, and Rick if your hardware is
      similar please add to bug report:
      https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=3484

      Dave if you have any info on how the tones are produced I would be
      grateful! This is my "Ham" laptop and using it for digital is the last
      thing I need to make it complete.

      73,Tim
      KB4AMA

      > > I removed the program, including the .fldigi hidden file, and
      > downloaded
      > > the 2.04 binary. I extract the file with the CLI and also with File
      > > Roller and it shows a 1.6 MB executable with logo, but it does not
      > > actually do anything.
      > You can put the binary file in /usr/local/bin. Lets say that you
      > extracted the file to:
      >
      > /home/n9vv
      >
      > Open the CLI and then enter
      >
      > sudo cp fldigi /usr/local/bin
      >
      > You can put the icon anywhere that you want, but I keep local icons
      > in
      > /home/myhome/icons. For you that might be
      > /home/n9vv/icons. You probably have to create the
      > folder /home/n9vv/icons.
      >
      > To create an icon on the desktop that you can link to for execution
      > do
      > the following:
      >
      > Right click on the desktop and select "Create Launcher". The name is
      > fldigi. Browser to /usr/local/bin and click on the file fldigi for
      > the
      > command entry.
      >
      > Click on the icon button in the dialog that is still open. Select the
      > icon file, fldigi.png that you previously placed in
      > the /home/n9vv/icons
      > directory.
      >
      > You should not be able to launch fldigi from the desktop.
      >
      > Dave, W1HKJ

    • Rick Kunath
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 7, 2007
        Hi Tim,

        Tim Gimmel wrote:
        > Rick,
        > The new portaudio stuff in Fldigi 2.05 fixed my problem with the
        > "ticking" sound. Can you tell me how it (portaudio) works, or give me
        > some hints that I can give to the alsa folks? WSJT 6 uses portaudio
        > also and would love to be able to make it work correctly. I have to
        > admit I have been working with Linux for over 10 years and I still just
        > don't understand the audio system. If you know of a site that has a
        > good explanation of Linux audio from oss to alsa to portaudio I would
        > love to read it!

        Portaudio is a cross platform API. It sits between your application and
        the underlying sound system, in most cases folks are using ALSA.

        In your case, you were able to use Portaudio and the FLdigi code to
        force a supported sample rate that your Intel HD sound card could handle
        natively. This is 44,100, 48,000. The card won't support lower sample
        rates, but digital apps want to use them, like 8000, 11,025, etc. There
        are a variety of standard sample rates for sound cards, yours does not
        support all of these (at least in Linux and ALSA.) And that's why the
        ticking. ALSA had to up convert, and the Intel HD driver for ALSA is not
        up to the task right now.

        Portaudio and a forced (in FLDIGI) supported sample rate fixed the
        ticking because no conversion was then needed on the sound stream.

        If WSJT can select a sample rate, you should be able to take care of the
        problem easily. You might want to ask Joe to put that in the code.

        Rick Kunath, k9ao