Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

not having much luck searching for libjpeg.so.8

Expand Messages
  • o11oo1oo
    Recently discovered flamp wouldnt start from clicking icons. Stumbled back onto command line(guess that s why it s so popular) and got this helpful error:
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 16, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      Recently discovered flamp wouldnt start from clicking icons. Stumbled back onto command line(guess that's why it's so popular) and got this helpful error:

      flamp: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

      I'm with fedora18 had done the wget on the current flamp bin.tgz.
      i searched and i had libjpeg-turbo-1.2.90-1.fc18

      I tried adding libjpeg-turbo-devel and -static and -utils hoping that the pertinent info
      might be in those someplace, but nope.

      So? I guess I should be looking for a supply of, maybe, an older version of libjpeg-dev ?. Or is this a prime opportunity for me to learn the ins + outs of 'build from source'?
    • David Ranch
      On Centos6: whereis libjpeg.so.8 libjpeg.so: /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62 /usr/lib64/libjpeg.so.62 /usr/lib64/libjpeg.so $ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 16, 2013
      • 0 Attachment

        On Centos6:

        whereis libjpeg.so.8
        libjpeg.so: /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62 /usr/lib64/libjpeg.so.62 /usr/lib64/libjpeg.so

        $ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62
        libjpeg-turbo-1.2.1-1.el6.i686

        --David


        On 10/16/2013 09:43 PM, o11oo1oo@... wrote:
        Recently discovered flamp wouldnt start from clicking icons. Stumbled back onto command line(guess that's why it's so popular) and got this helpful error:

        flamp: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

        I'm with fedora18 had done the wget on the current flamp bin.tgz.
        i searched and i had libjpeg-turbo-1.2.90-1.fc18

        I tried adding libjpeg-turbo-devel and -static and -utils hoping that the pertinent info
        might be in those someplace, but nope.

        So? I guess I should be looking for a supply of, maybe, an older version of libjpeg-dev ?. Or is this a prime opportunity for me to learn the ins + outs of 'build from source'?

      • Ernest Wagner
        I would suggest building flamp from source. That way it will build using the currently installed version of libjpeg on your system. I have libjpeg.so.62 on
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 16, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          I would suggest building flamp from source.  That way it will build using the currently installed version of libjpeg on your system.  I have libjpeg.so.62 on my FC18 system.'  I just tried building/running flamp and was successful.  "You can't go home again." Or at least it ain't so easy returning to an earlier version of any shared library.  Learning to build from source should be your next goal.

          Regards,

          Ernie D  AA1AD


          On Wed, 2013-10-16 at 21:43 -0700, o11oo1oo@... wrote:
           
          Recently discovered flamp wouldnt start from clicking icons. Stumbled back onto command line(guess that's why it's so popular) and got this helpful error:

          flamp: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

          I'm with fedora18 had done the wget on the current flamp bin.tgz.
          i searched and i had libjpeg-turbo-1.2.90-1.fc18

          I tried adding libjpeg-turbo-devel and -static and -utils hoping that the pertinent info
          might be in those someplace, but nope.

          So? I guess I should be looking for a supply of, maybe, an older version of libjpeg-dev ?. Or is this a prime opportunity for me to learn the ins + outs of 'build from source'?



        • w1hkj
          Read, study and follow the directions for building from source which is located on the fldigi wiki: https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki 73, Dave, W1HKJ
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 17, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            Read, study and follow the directions for building from source which is
            located on the fldigi wiki:

            https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki

            73, Dave, W1HKJ
          • Richard Shaw
            ... I was initially confused by this because as the current fldigi maintainer for Fedora I would expect to get an email from the Fedora infrastructure if there
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 17, 2013
            • 0 Attachment
              On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM, <o11oo1oo@...> wrote:
              Recently discovered flamp wouldnt start from clicking icons. Stumbled back onto command line(guess that's why it's so popular) and got this helpful error:

              flamp: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

              I'm with fedora18 had done the wget on the current flamp bin.tgz.
              i searched and i had libjpeg-turbo-1.2.90-1.fc18

              I tried adding libjpeg-turbo-devel and -static and -utils hoping that the pertinent info
              might be in those someplace, but nope.

              So? I guess I should be looking for a supply of, maybe, an older version of libjpeg-dev ?. Or is this a prime opportunity for me to learn the ins + outs of 'build from source'? 

              I was initially confused by this because as the current fldigi maintainer for Fedora I would expect to get an email from the Fedora infrastructure if there was a broken dependency. I don't know how much interest there is but I just put together a flamp RPM which I can see about getting into Fedora proper.

              That being said, I'm still confused about the libjpeg.so.8 dependency. I don't see any such dependency in my binary RPM package:

               $ rpm -qp --requires flamp-2.1.01-1.fc19.x86_64.rpm
              fltk-fluid
              libX11.so.6()(64bit)
              libc.so.6()(64bit)
              libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.14)(64bit)
              libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.15)(64bit)
              libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
              libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)(64bit)
              libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)(64bit)
              libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)(64bit)
              libdl.so.2()(64bit)
              libfltk.so.1.3()(64bit)
              libfltk_images.so.1.3()(64bit)
              libgcc_s.so.1()(64bit)
              libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0)(64bit)
              libm.so.6()(64bit)
              libpthread.so.0()(64bit)
              libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
              libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.3.2)(64bit)
              libstdc++.so.6()(64bit)
              libstdc++.so.6(CXXABI_1.3)(64bit)
              libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4)(64bit)
              libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.11)(64bit)
              libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.15)(64bit)
              libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.9)(64bit)
              rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
              rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1
              rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
              rtld(GNU_HASH)
              rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1

              Is this coming from your own build of fldigi? If so, unless you really need to run the absolute latest version as soon as it's released, I would recommend using the official Fedora release. I keep it pretty up to date.

              Thanks,
              Richard
            • o11oo1oo
              Richard, Sorry, wish i had some half intelligent answers to give you, but outside of gpk-application when it comes to installing software I m pretty lost.
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 17, 2013
              • 0 Attachment
                Richard,
                Sorry, wish i had some half intelligent answers to give you, but outside of 'gpk-application' when it comes to installing software I'm pretty lost.

                "...your own build of fldigi?"
                I'm 99% fldigi on my system came from a repository.

                Going to maybe try Dave's suggested wiki reading.

                 



                ---In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, <hobbes1069@...> wrote:

                On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM, <o11oo1oo@...> wrote:
                Recently discovered flamp wouldnt start from clicking icons. Stumbled back onto command line(guess that's why it's so popular) and got this helpful error:

                flamp: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

                I'm with fedora18 had done the wget on the current flamp bin.tgz.
                i searched and i had libjpeg-turbo-1.2.90-1.fc18

                I tried adding libjpeg-turbo-devel and -static and -utils hoping that the pertinent info
                might be in those someplace, but nope.

                So? I guess I should be looking for a supply of, maybe, an older version of libjpeg-dev ?. Or is this a prime opportunity for me to learn the ins + outs of 'build from source'? 

                I was initially confused by this because as the current fldigi maintainer for Fedora I would expect to get an email from the Fedora infrastructure if there was a broken dependency. I don't know how much interest there is but I just put together a flamp RPM which I can see about getting into Fedora proper.

                That being said, I'm still confused about the libjpeg.so.8 dependency. I don't see any such dependency in my binary RPM package:

                 $ rpm -qp --requires flamp-2.1.01-1.fc19.x86_64.rpm
                fltk-fluid
                libX11.so.6()(64bit)
                libc.so.6()(64bit)
                libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.14)(64bit)
                libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.15)(64bit)
                libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
                libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)(64bit)
                libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)(64bit)
                libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)(64bit)
                libdl.so.2()(64bit)
                libfltk.so.1.3()(64bit)
                libfltk_images.so.1.3()(64bit)
                libgcc_s.so.1()(64bit)
                libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0)(64bit)
                libm.so.6()(64bit)
                libpthread.so.0()(64bit)
                libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
                libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.3.2)(64bit)
                libstdc++.so.6()(64bit)
                libstdc++.so.6(CXXABI_1.3)(64bit)
                libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4)(64bit)
                libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.11)(64bit)
                libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.15)(64bit)
                libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.9)(64bit)
                rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
                rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1
                rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
                rtld(GNU_HASH)
                rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1

                Is this coming from your own build of fldigi? If so, unless you really need to run the absolute latest version as soon as it's released, I would recommend using the official Fedora release. I keep it pretty up to date.

                Thanks,
                Richard
              • Richard Shaw
                ... If you re running the official Fedora release than I don t think any fldigi/flamp program is your problem, there must be something else going on. I m going
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 18, 2013
                • 0 Attachment
                  On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM, <o11oo1oo@...> wrote:
                  Richard,
                  Sorry, wish i had some half intelligent answers to give you, but outside of 'gpk-application' when it comes to installing software I'm pretty lost.

                  "...your own build of fldigi?"
                  I'm 99% fldigi on my system came from a repository.

                  If you're running the official Fedora release than I don't think any fldigi/flamp program is your problem, there must be something else going on. I'm going to to a test install though anyway to be sure but the Fedora infrastructure it pretty good about letting maintainers know when there's a dependency problem.

                  Neither fldigi or flamp have a direct dependency on libjpeg.so so I assume it's being pulled in by the fltk library, but when I do an install in mock the Fedora release of fltk is correctly picking up libjpeg.so.62, not .8.

                  Have you done some kind of upgrade lately? Perhaps using fedup?

                  Thanks,
                  Richard
                • Brian Morrison
                  On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 08:04:25 -0500 ... There is no official flamp package in Fedora, only fldigi (and of course fltk etc). I roll my own flrig using a spec
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 18, 2013
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 08:04:25 -0500
                    Richard Shaw wrote:

                    > On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM, <o11oo1oo@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Richard,
                    > > Sorry, wish i had some half intelligent answers to give you, but
                    > > outside of 'gpk-application' when it comes to installing software
                    > > I'm pretty lost.
                    > >
                    > > "...your own build of fldigi?"
                    > > I'm 99% fldigi on my system came from a repository.
                    > >
                    >
                    > If you're running the official Fedora release than I don't think any
                    > fldigi/flamp program is your problem, there must be something else
                    > going on. I'm going to to a test install though anyway to be sure but
                    > the Fedora infrastructure it pretty good about letting maintainers
                    > know when there's a dependency problem.
                    >
                    > Neither fldigi or flamp have a direct dependency on libjpeg.so so I
                    > assume it's being pulled in by the fltk library, but when I do an
                    > install in mock the Fedora release of fltk is correctly picking up
                    > libjpeg.so.62, not .8.
                    >
                    > Have you done some kind of upgrade lately? Perhaps using fedup?

                    There is no official flamp package in Fedora, only fldigi (and of
                    course fltk etc).

                    I roll my own flrig using a spec file I hacked up. There are also some
                    unofficial spec files to build flmsg, flwrap etc packages.

                    As Dave says, it's not too difficult to build from source, and rolling
                    your own .spec file and creating a package isn't too tricky either.
                    Makes it easier to keep track of what you have installed too.

                    There are some fl* .spec files here, you could adapt one of them to your
                    needs:

                    https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/RPM_spec_files

                    Useful rpm build help can be found here:

                    http://hacktux.com/fedora/source/rpm


                    HTH

                    --

                    Brian Morrison
                  • Brian Morrison
                    On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 09:07:52 -0500 ... It would be a useful thing to have, I roll my own flrig rpm and that too would be nice to have (other distros have it
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 18, 2013
                    • 0 Attachment
                      On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 09:07:52 -0500
                      Richard Shaw wrote:

                      > I don't know how much interest there is but
                      > I just put together a flamp RPM which I can see about getting into
                      > Fedora proper.

                      It would be a useful thing to have, I roll my own flrig rpm and that
                      too would be nice to have (other distros have it already :) ).

                      Any and all amateur radio related packages are good to have, but
                      obviously you have to have the time to maintain them...

                      --

                      Brian Morrison G8SEZ
                    • Richard Shaw
                      ... Yup, I ve got test builds of flrig and flamp that I may end up submitting review requests for. One thing I noticed in the example spec files is they seem
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 18, 2013
                      • 0 Attachment
                        On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Brian Morrison <bdm@...> wrote:
                        On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 08:04:25 -0500
                        Richard Shaw wrote:

                        > On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM, <o11oo1oo@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Richard,
                        > > Sorry, wish i had some half intelligent answers to give you, but
                        > > outside of 'gpk-application' when it comes to installing software
                        > > I'm pretty lost.
                        > >
                        > > "...your own build of fldigi?"
                        > > I'm 99% fldigi on my system came from a repository.
                        > >
                        >
                        > If you're running the official Fedora release than I don't think any
                        > fldigi/flamp program is your problem, there must be something else
                        > going on. I'm going to to a test install though anyway to be sure but
                        > the Fedora infrastructure it pretty good about letting maintainers
                        > know when there's a dependency problem.
                        >
                        > Neither fldigi or flamp have a direct dependency on libjpeg.so so I
                        > assume it's being pulled in by the fltk library, but when I do an
                        > install in mock the Fedora release of fltk is correctly picking up
                        > libjpeg.so.62, not .8.
                        >
                        > Have you done some kind of upgrade lately? Perhaps using fedup?

                        There is no official flamp package in Fedora, only fldigi (and of
                        course fltk etc).

                        Yup, I've got test builds of flrig and flamp that I may end up submitting review requests for.

                        One thing I noticed in the example spec files is they seem to have BuildRequires and Requires that are unnecessary. Flrig does not link against hamlib during build so you don't need it then, and grepping through the source I didn't find anything to suggest that it dlopens it either. fltk-devel will pull in libjpeg and libpng so no need to BR: those either. Also, since "make install" installs the desktop file the spec should be using desktop-file-validate instead of desktop-file-install...

                        Or perhaps when I'm done, someone could upload my spec files instead :)

                        Richard
                        KF5OIM
                      • w1hkj
                        There is no official flamp package in Fedora, only fldigi (and of course fltk etc). ... Richard, May I suggest that you add your spec files for all of the
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 18, 2013
                        • 0 Attachment
                          There is no official flamp package in Fedora, only fldigi (and of course
                          fltk etc).
                          >
                          > Yup, I've got test builds of flrig and flamp that I may end up
                          > submitting review requests for.
                          >
                          > One thing I noticed in the example spec files is they seem to have
                          > BuildRequires and Requires that are unnecessary. Flrig does not link
                          > against hamlib during build so you don't need it then, and grepping
                          > through the source I didn't find anything to suggest that it dlopens
                          > it either. fltk-devel will pull in libjpeg and libpng so no need to
                          > BR: those either. Also, since "make install" installs the desktop file
                          > the spec should be using desktop-file-validate instead of
                          > desktop-file-install...
                          >
                          > Or perhaps when I'm done, someone could upload my spec files instead :)
                          Richard,

                          May I suggest that you add your spec files for all of the flxxxx apps to
                          the fldigi wiki.

                          https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki

                          This page already has CentOS spec files,
                          https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/RPM_spec_files,

                          A separate Fedora list can be added to that page.

                          Dave, W1HKJ
                        • David Ranch
                          Hello Richard, I think you might be using my version of the .spec files if you were
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 18, 2013
                          • 0 Attachment

                            Hello Richard,

                            I think you might be using my version of the .spec files if you were following https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/RPM_spec_files .  In the flrig.spec, you're right, it's calling for Hamlib which is pretty silly but I had original sourced this spec file from http://dp67.fedorapeople.org/pkgs/SPECS/flrig.spec which has those unnecessary dependencies.  It's also strange that Flrig isn't already in Fedora's repositories if a spec file is already present. 

                            I'll update my spec files and I'm always looking to expand their support for other RPM based distributions beyond Centos such as Fedora, Suse, etc. for the constantly evolving distribution-specific checks, etc.

                            --David
                            KI6ZHD

                            On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Brian Morrison <bdm@...> wrote:
                            On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 08:04:25 -0500
                            Richard Shaw wrote:

                            > On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM, <o11oo1oo@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Richard,
                            > > Sorry, wish i had some half intelligent answers to give you, but
                            > > outside of 'gpk-application' when it comes to installing software
                            > > I'm pretty lost.
                            > >
                            > > "...your own build of fldigi?"
                            > > I'm 99% fldigi on my system came from a repository.
                            > >
                            >
                            > If you're running the official Fedora release than I don't think any
                            > fldigi/flamp program is your problem, there must be something else
                            > going on. I'm going to to a test install though anyway to be sure but
                            > the Fedora infrastructure it pretty good about letting maintainers
                            > know when there's a dependency problem.
                            >
                            > Neither fldigi or flamp have a direct dependency on libjpeg.so so I
                            > assume it's being pulled in by the fltk library, but when I do an
                            > install in mock the Fedora release of fltk is correctly picking up
                            > libjpeg.so.62, not .8.
                            >
                            > Have you done some kind of upgrade lately? Perhaps using fedup?

                            There is no official flamp package in Fedora, only fldigi (and of
                            course fltk etc).

                            Yup, I've got test builds of flrig and flamp that I may end up submitting review requests for.

                            One thing I noticed in the example spec files is they seem to have BuildRequires and Requires that are unnecessary. Flrig does not link against hamlib during build so you don't need it then, and grepping through the source I didn't find anything to suggest that it dlopens it either. fltk-devel will pull in libjpeg and libpng so no need to BR: those either. Also, since "make install" installs the desktop file the spec should be using desktop-file-validate instead of desktop-file-install...

                            Or perhaps when I'm done, someone could upload my spec files instead :)

                            Richard
                            KF5OIM

                          • Richard Shaw
                            ... No, flrig and flamp aren t in Fedora yet, just local versions I created, but they are the ones I intended to use for the official packages. ... Certainly
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 18, 2013
                            • 0 Attachment
                              On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM, David Ranch <linuxham-fld@...> wrote:
                              Hello Richard,

                              I think you might be using my version of the .spec files if you were following https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/RPM_spec_files .  In the flrig.spec, you're right, it's calling for Hamlib which is pretty silly but I had original sourced this spec file from http://dp67.fedorapeople.org/pkgs/SPECS/flrig.spec which has those unnecessary dependencies.  It's also strange that Flrig isn't already in Fedora's repositories if a spec file is already present. 

                              No, flrig and flamp aren't in Fedora yet, just local versions I created, but they are the ones I intended to use for the official packages.

                               
                              I'll update my spec files and I'm always looking to expand their support for other RPM based distributions beyond Centos such as Fedora, Suse, etc. for the constantly evolving distribution-specific checks, etc.

                              Certainly feel free to use mine as a starting point but I always look at it from a Fedora (and sometimes Centos) viewpoint so I'm not aware of specific requirements of Suse that may differ from Fedora.

                              Thanks,
                              Richard
                            • o11oo1oo
                              All, Thanks for the info (what I understood of it). I have managed to use the instructions on the wiki page; after discovering that I did not have a compiler
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 18, 2013
                              • 0 Attachment

                                All,


                                Thanks for the info (what I understood of it). I have managed to use the instructions on the wiki page; after discovering that I did not have a compiler installed (yes! I hear them say, "Why does he even own a computer?"). It appears to have functioned as expected... Guess I'll see next Wednesday if I copy those folks in Indiana on 80m.


                                73

                                Dan

                                acØwz



                                ---In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, <hobbes1069@...> wrote:

                                On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM, David Ranch <linuxham-fld@...> wrote:
                                Hello Richard,

                                I think you might be using my version of the .spec files if you were following https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/RPM_spec_files .  In the flrig.spec, you're right, it's calling for Hamlib which is pretty silly but I had original sourced this spec file from http://dp67.fedorapeople.org/pkgs/SPECS/flrig.spec which has those unnecessary dependencies.  It's also strange that Flrig isn't already in Fedora's repositories if a spec file is already present. 

                                No, flrig and flamp aren't in Fedora yet, just local versions I created, but they are the ones I intended to use for the official packages.

                                 
                                I'll update my spec files and I'm always looking to expand their support for other RPM based distributions beyond Centos such as Fedora, Suse, etc. for the constantly evolving distribution-specific checks, etc.

                                Certainly feel free to use mine as a starting point but I always look at it from a Fedora (and sometimes Centos) viewpoint so I'm not aware of specific requirements of Suse that may differ from Fedora.

                                Thanks,
                                Richard
                              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.