Re: [linuxham] Re: Launcher for fldigi under ubuntu 7.10

  • Larry Levesque
    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 2, 2007
      My guess is that you still have 2.03 installed in the system.
      The simplest solution is to copy the newer executable over the old one in the
      /usr/bin directory.  If the file is in your current directory just do this..
      This assumes it was installed as I did of course. You could do a "locate fldigi" to verify its' location.

      sudo cp ./fldigi /usr/bin/fldigi

      enter in your password and now try it.

      On 12/2/07, rogerg6ckr <linux@...> wrote:

      Having looked at the "About" popup I find it's the 2.03 version that
      is running when I type fldigi in a terminal window and not the 2.04.
      I had forgotten I had tried the deb ubuntu version.
      So short term it's that version I need to set the launcher to and then
      work out why the 2.04 wont run later.
      System is 64 bit Ubunto 7.10 BTW

      --
      Larry Levesque - KA1VGM
      EC- Cheshire County
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 7, 2007
        Hi Tim,

        Tim Gimmel wrote:
        > Rick,
        > The new portaudio stuff in Fldigi 2.05 fixed my problem with the
        > "ticking" sound. Can you tell me how it (portaudio) works, or give me
        > some hints that I can give to the alsa folks? WSJT 6 uses portaudio
        > also and would love to be able to make it work correctly. I have to
        > admit I have been working with Linux for over 10 years and I still just
        > don't understand the audio system. If you know of a site that has a
        > good explanation of Linux audio from oss to alsa to portaudio I would
        > love to read it!

        Portaudio is a cross platform API. It sits between your application and
        the underlying sound system, in most cases folks are using ALSA.

        In your case, you were able to use Portaudio and the FLdigi code to
        force a supported sample rate that your Intel HD sound card could handle
        natively. This is 44,100, 48,000. The card won't support lower sample
        rates, but digital apps want to use them, like 8000, 11,025, etc. There
        are a variety of standard sample rates for sound cards, yours does not
        support all of these (at least in Linux and ALSA.) And that's why the
        ticking. ALSA had to up convert, and the Intel HD driver for ALSA is not
        up to the task right now.

        Portaudio and a forced (in FLDIGI) supported sample rate fixed the
        ticking because no conversion was then needed on the sound stream.

        If WSJT can select a sample rate, you should be able to take care of the
        problem easily. You might want to ask Joe to put that in the code.

        Rick Kunath, k9ao