Re: [linuxham] Trying fldigi 2.04 install

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hi Rick,

      I have no knowledge of Portaudio. Is this something that you set up to
      work with fldigi?

      I don't have much knowledge about ALSA vs OSS, other than from what I
      have read, it is intended that ALSA is the replacement for OSS which
      apparently had a lot of problems? Considering that ALSA has been
      developed for nearly 10 years now, I hope this can help toward making
      Linux at least a bit more competitive with sound issues compared to
      Windows. I won't say I have never had any problems with Windows sound,
      but it does seem to work far better and is more understandable. At least
      it is to me.

      As far as mapping mixer controls, I don't think that I have had to do
      that with Windows, so I would rather this be done with the OS and not
      some additional fix for the user. There seems to be too many different
      pieces of a puzzle here. There needs to be one coherent and
      understandable way to do this and it needs to be transparent so it just
      works.

      The binary does not run. I have tried using the ./fldigi and nothing
      happens. That is the odd thing, really. Nothing is happening, not even
      any errors displayed.

      73,

      Rick, KV9U

      Rick Kunath wrote:

      > Portaudio is installed and working?
      >
      > alsa-oss emulation setup right and card1 aliased manually? (Only card0 gets
      > aliased automatically, you have to do any additional cards manually.) Check
      > the list archives for more on this.
      >
      > Mixer controls not mapped right? Also check the archives for info on this. But
      > running the mixer manually should allow for waterfall and transmit audio
      > output., even if the mixer controls are not mapped right for alsa-oss
      > emulation or portaudio.
      >
      > What driver is that Soundblaster using? emu10k1? This is a good stable driver.
      >
      > The binary should be runnable. Do an ./fidigi from a terminal and see what you
      > get in the dorectory with the extracted binary. The app should start and
      > you'll see any errors on the terminal if there are any.
      >
      > Rick Kunath, k9ao

    • Rick Kunath
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 7, 2007
        Hi Tim,

        Tim Gimmel wrote:
        > Rick,
        > The new portaudio stuff in Fldigi 2.05 fixed my problem with the
        > "ticking" sound. Can you tell me how it (portaudio) works, or give me
        > some hints that I can give to the alsa folks? WSJT 6 uses portaudio
        > also and would love to be able to make it work correctly. I have to
        > admit I have been working with Linux for over 10 years and I still just
        > don't understand the audio system. If you know of a site that has a
        > good explanation of Linux audio from oss to alsa to portaudio I would
        > love to read it!

        Portaudio is a cross platform API. It sits between your application and
        the underlying sound system, in most cases folks are using ALSA.

        In your case, you were able to use Portaudio and the FLdigi code to
        force a supported sample rate that your Intel HD sound card could handle
        natively. This is 44,100, 48,000. The card won't support lower sample
        rates, but digital apps want to use them, like 8000, 11,025, etc. There
        are a variety of standard sample rates for sound cards, yours does not
        support all of these (at least in Linux and ALSA.) And that's why the
        ticking. ALSA had to up convert, and the Intel HD driver for ALSA is not
        up to the task right now.

        Portaudio and a forced (in FLDIGI) supported sample rate fixed the
        ticking because no conversion was then needed on the sound stream.

        If WSJT can select a sample rate, you should be able to take care of the
        problem easily. You might want to ask Joe to put that in the code.

        Rick Kunath, k9ao