CPU burner

  • jhaynesatalumni
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 10, 2013
      I'm trying a new set up tonight

      fldigi 3.21.76AH and flrig, radio is Elecraft K2
      Machine is Dell C610 laptop with 1GHz CPU and 1 GB of main memory.

      I notice the waterfall is moving jerkily.  The top program shows that fldigi
      and X are each burning about 35% of the CPU and pulse audio is taking about
      13%.

      System is Fedora 19

      Anybody know if this is abnormal?
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 10, 2013
        On 10/10/2013 10:07 PM, jhhaynes@... wrote:
        > I'm trying a new set up tonight
        >
        > fldigi 3.21.76AH and flrig, radio is Elecraft K2
        > Machine is Dell C610 laptop with 1GHz CPU and 1 GB of main memory.
        >
        > I notice the waterfall is moving jerkily. The top program shows that fldigi
        > and X are each burning about 35% of the CPU and pulse audio is taking about
        > 13%.
        >
        > System is Fedora 19
        >
        > Anybody know if this is abnormal?

        You should see between 4 to 5 percent cpu usage with fldigi, even less
        with pulse. You are a little light on horsepower. I would try XFCE or
        LXDE as both are light weight.

        Ed W3NR
      • David Ranch

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 11, 2013
              On 10/11/2013 11:17 AM, jhhaynes@... wrote:

              > You should see between 4 to 5 percent cpu usage with fldigi, even less
              > with pulse. You are a little light on horsepower. I would try XFCE or
              > LXDE as both are light weight.
              >
              > Ed W3NR
              >
              > I'm using Xfce

              Well, modem manager may be the culprit, or bluez-alsa, or brltty.

              ed W3NR
            • David Ranch
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 11, 2013
                Hello Ed,

                I thought with modem-manager or bluez issues, fldigi wouldn't work at
                all. This user is just concerned with a laggy waterfall.

                --David
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 11, 2013
                  On 10/11/2013 11:57 AM, David Ranch wrote:

                  > Hello Ed,
                  >
                  > I thought with modem-manager or bluez issues, fldigi wouldn't work at
                  > all. This user is just concerned with a laggy waterfall.
                  >
                  > --David

                  Modem manager is sometimes the waterfall culprit. Bluez-alsa and brltty
                  want to control serial ports and usb/serial devices.

                  Ed W3NR
                • jhaynesatalumni
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 11, 2013

                    I've just repeated the experiment on a Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS system

                    with fldigi not running X takes about 1% of the CPU

                    When I start fldigi X usage jumps to >50% of the cpu, and fldigi is

                    taking < 10%

                    I removed modemmanager with no effect on the above.

                    Same results with fldigi-3.21.76AH and fldigi-3.21.74

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 11, 2013
                      Which mode Jim?  Do you see changes in cpu usage as a function of mode?

                      Dave

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 11, 2013
                        Jim,

                        I'm seeing this on 3.21.76AL on my Mint-14 development machine

                        What X are you running for your video?  Is there a more efficient video driver available?

                        Dave
                      • Jim Haynes
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 11, 2013
                          Well I don't know the answer to "what X?" It is whatever gets installed
                          when the system is installed. On the Ubuntu machine the top command
                          shows Xorg, and on the Fedora machine it just says X.

                          jhhaynes at earthlink dot net
                        • jhaynesatalumni
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 11, 2013

                            On my regular radio computer things are well behaved.  I'm seeing

                            20% CPU for fldigi 3.21.76AJ

                            12% CPU for pulseaudio

                             8%  CPU for X

                             4% CPU for pavucontrol

                             2% CPU for kcat

                            This machine is also running Fedora 19

                            guess I should move on to 3.21.76AL just so we're
                            running the same code.
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 11, 2013

                              3.21.76AL is similarly well behaved on my radio computer.

                              Will be a little while before I can resume testing with the

                              one that was showing the high CPU load.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 11, 2013

                                  The machine is an old Dell C610 laptop.  The video says it is a VGA compatible controller AMD/ATI

                                  RV100/M6 [Rage/Radeon Mobility Series]

                                  I put 3.21.76AL on the machine so we're reading off the same page.

                                  With no audio coming in X runs about 30%, fldigi 12%, pulse audio 8%, rcu-sched 8%, flrig 3%,

                                     pavucontrol 3%

                                  With audio (just noise) coming in X runs 42%, fldigi 16%, pulseaudio 12%, rcu_sched 10%,

                                  flrig 3%, pavucontrol 3%

                                  Then after a reboot X is down to 23%, pulseaudio is 20%, fldigi is 18%

                                  After running for a while, not touching anything, X is 30%, fldigi is 20%, pulseaudio is 15%, rcu_sched

                                  is 8%, pavucontrol is 4%.

                                  I wish pulseaudio was not such a CPU hog.  Maybe I ought to go back to portaudio on this machine?

                                  And I have no idea what rcu_sched is

                                • jhaynesatalumni
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 12, 2013

                                    Removing pulseaudio gets the CPU down to about 22% for X and about 20% for fldigi.  I can live with

                                    that, and I don't think pulseaudio does anything I need done.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 12, 2013
                                      Rather like fine tuning a racing car Jim.

                                      Dave

                                      On 10/12/2013 12:33 PM, jhhaynes@... wrote:

                                      Removing pulseaudio gets the CPU down to about 22% for X and about 20% for fldigi.  I can live with

                                      that, and I don't think pulseaudio does anything I need done.

                                    • Brian Morrison
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 14, 2013
                                        On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 18:08:09 -0500
                                        w1hkj wrote:

                                        > I use custom drivers
                                        > for all of my Nvidia hardware. The manufacturers drivers do a superb
                                        > job, but the generic Xorg drivers do not.

                                        It's not easy to make them work well when the manufacturer doesn't
                                        supply the needed documentation, although apparently Nvidia are
                                        improving in this regard.

                                        --

                                        Brian Morrison