Re: [linuxham] Fedora-19 Serial port keying -

  • Bob Goodwin ~ Zuni, Virginia, USA
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4, 2013
      On 04/10/13 12:53, Ed wrote:

      > Have you added yourself to the dialout group ? See what cutecom is
      > telling you.
      >
      > Ed W3NR

      Yes to dialout.

      Cutecom reports:

      Could not open /dev/ttyS0

      To all four ports, defaults to S0

      I'm betting it's a problem installing the serial card ...

      --

      http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

      box10 Fedora-19 Linux/XFCE
    • Bob Goodwin ~ Zuni, Virginia, USA
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2013
        On 04/10/13 15:04, W2CTX wrote:
        > Before I offer my 2 cents,,,,
        >
        > What do you want the serial port to do for you? Control a radio? Use
        > control line to key radio?
        > The setup that worked with your old computer and your interface: did
        > your interface key the radio?
        >

        > rOn

        The interface keys ptt and mutes the microphone, two separate functions.
        The audio signals essentially just pass through, Pulse Audio sets the
        levels, it worked well in the past but this is a new computer I built up
        from a Biostar board with an AMD processor. I have three computers
        stacked up in "server" rack mount cases on my table top. Very convenient
        to get to connections ....

        Anyway it looks like I found the problem, permissions did not allow
        /dev/ttyS- to execute. I changed that and now the radio keys:

        [root@box10 bobg]# ll /dev/ttyS*
        crwxrwxrw-. 1 root dialout 4, 64 Oct 4 14:24 /dev/ttyS0
        crwxrwxrw-. 1 root dialout 4, 65 Oct 4 14:24 /dev/ttyS1
        crwxrwxrw-. 1 root dialout 4, 66 Oct 4 14:24 /dev/ttyS2
        crwxrwxrw-. 1 root dialout 4, 67 Oct 4 14:24 /dev/ttyS3

        Oh, now the new serial board is /dev/ttyS1. I also discovered, that I
        forgot, there's a serial com-port header on the motherboard but it's not
        brought out the back. Most likely all I needed was a cable, but the PCI
        card is a simple solution.

        So I am almost there, just need to deal with some cabling problems, need
        more length, etc.

        Thanks to all for the help,

        Bob

        --

        http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

        box10 Fedora-19 Linux/XFCE
      • Marty Hartwell
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2013
          Hi

          Does Fldigi support serial port keying? I know it supports right audio
          channel
          keying but I was under the assumption that it didn't support serial port
          keying.

          Am I wrong?

          Marty kd8bj

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2013
            On 04/10/13 15:26, Marty Hartwell wrote:
            > Hi
            >
            > Does Fldigi support serial port keying? I know it supports right audio
            > channel
            > keying but I was under the assumption that it didn't support serial port
            > keying.
            >
            > Am I wrong?
            >
            > Marty kd8bj

            Yes, you are wrong, you can select serial port keying under configure >
            rig. There are several options there. It works well with my old TS440
            which has a DIN connector on the back for PTT and Mic Mute. That way the
            front panel functions remain normal and separate from the PSK.

            Bob

            --

            http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

            box10 Fedora-19 Linux/XFCE
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2013
              On 10/04/2013 03:26 PM, Marty Hartwell wrote:
              > Hi
              >
              > Does Fldigi support serial port keying? I know it supports right audio
              > channel
              > keying but I was under the assumption that it didn't support serial port
              > keying.
              >
              > Am I wrong?
              >
              > Marty kd8bj

              You might take the time to read the 250+ pages of the help file.