Re: [linuxham] Launcher for fldigi under ubuntu 7.10

  • eculbert
    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 2, 2007
      I don't know how or should I say which version...the
      FldigiHelp-2.0.tar.gz or the 'fldigi-2.04.bin.tgz' you
      installed, but with pclinuxos, I opened the
      downloader...synaptic...and said 'new repository' then
      pointed to the http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi-2.x.html as
      the 'new Repository'. Then had it pull the
      fldigi-2.04.bin.tgz in and told snyptic OKAY. Synaptic
      proceeded to grab it and install and the icon worked
      first time.

      So if that is what you did, then I have no clue, but
      if you compiled it from the tar file, again, too
      newbie a linux or should I say never messed with tar
      files?

      When I ran Knoppix, another flavor of debian, I could
      just point apt to a file like I did on PCLinuxos and
      do that also, but that was 2 years ago.

      I have NOT transmitted even cw yet, just got the
      4n33's to make the interface to try cw with. But it
      opens and seems to work as best I can tell.

      Dang tinitis!! makes learning cw fun/frustration!

      Ed/ke7feg

      --- rogerg6ckr <linux@...> wrote:

      > Hi.
      > I can start fldigi ( 2.03 binary) from a terminal
      > but the clicking the
      > icon or creating a launcher on the desk top don't
      > work so whats the trick?
      > Properties does have executable checked.
      > Other than that the install was a lot easier under
      > Ubuntu than last
      > time under a different Linux flavor.
      > 73 Roger
      > G6CKR

      Ed/ke7feg
      Ah, dripping weather gone! Was nice and cool this morning

      Did I mention, 2/23/07 the FCC droped all testing for any license as a ham?
      Just pass the written and "Yo's a ham"!!

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Rick Kunath
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 7, 2007
        Hi Tim,

        Tim Gimmel wrote:
        > Rick,
        > The new portaudio stuff in Fldigi 2.05 fixed my problem with the
        > "ticking" sound. Can you tell me how it (portaudio) works, or give me
        > some hints that I can give to the alsa folks? WSJT 6 uses portaudio
        > also and would love to be able to make it work correctly. I have to
        > admit I have been working with Linux for over 10 years and I still just
        > don't understand the audio system. If you know of a site that has a
        > good explanation of Linux audio from oss to alsa to portaudio I would
        > love to read it!

        Portaudio is a cross platform API. It sits between your application and
        the underlying sound system, in most cases folks are using ALSA.

        In your case, you were able to use Portaudio and the FLdigi code to
        force a supported sample rate that your Intel HD sound card could handle
        natively. This is 44,100, 48,000. The card won't support lower sample
        rates, but digital apps want to use them, like 8000, 11,025, etc. There
        are a variety of standard sample rates for sound cards, yours does not
        support all of these (at least in Linux and ALSA.) And that's why the
        ticking. ALSA had to up convert, and the Intel HD driver for ALSA is not
        up to the task right now.

        Portaudio and a forced (in FLDIGI) supported sample rate fixed the
        ticking because no conversion was then needed on the sound stream.

        If WSJT can select a sample rate, you should be able to take care of the
        problem easily. You might want to ask Joe to put that in the code.

        Rick Kunath, k9ao