Launcher for fldigi under ubuntu 7.10

  • rogerg6ckr
    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hi.
      I can start fldigi ( 2.03 binary) from a terminal but the clicking the
      icon or creating a launcher on the desk top don't work so whats the trick?
      Properties does have executable checked.
      Other than that the install was a lot easier under Ubuntu than last
      time under a different Linux flavor.
      73 Roger
      G6CKR
    • Rick Kunath
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 7, 2007
        Hi Tim,

        Tim Gimmel wrote:
        > Rick,
        > The new portaudio stuff in Fldigi 2.05 fixed my problem with the
        > "ticking" sound. Can you tell me how it (portaudio) works, or give me
        > some hints that I can give to the alsa folks? WSJT 6 uses portaudio
        > also and would love to be able to make it work correctly. I have to
        > admit I have been working with Linux for over 10 years and I still just
        > don't understand the audio system. If you know of a site that has a
        > good explanation of Linux audio from oss to alsa to portaudio I would
        > love to read it!

        Portaudio is a cross platform API. It sits between your application and
        the underlying sound system, in most cases folks are using ALSA.

        In your case, you were able to use Portaudio and the FLdigi code to
        force a supported sample rate that your Intel HD sound card could handle
        natively. This is 44,100, 48,000. The card won't support lower sample
        rates, but digital apps want to use them, like 8000, 11,025, etc. There
        are a variety of standard sample rates for sound cards, yours does not
        support all of these (at least in Linux and ALSA.) And that's why the
        ticking. ALSA had to up convert, and the Intel HD driver for ALSA is not
        up to the task right now.

        Portaudio and a forced (in FLDIGI) supported sample rate fixed the
        ticking because no conversion was then needed on the sound stream.

        If WSJT can select a sample rate, you should be able to take care of the
        problem easily. You might want to ask Joe to put that in the code.

        Rick Kunath, k9ao