FUN !!!

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 10, 2013
      I decided to try psk QRP, 5 watts. Amazing the QSO's you can have at
      that power level.

      Anyone up to trying the same and posting your results ?????

      Several years ago I used 950Mw in the ARRL CW Sweepstakes. Made my goal
      of 100 Q's.

      The list has been very quiet that past few weeks, thought this might get
      some attention.

      Ed W3NR
    • Andy
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 11, 2013
        Ed W3NR wrote:

        >Several years ago I used 950Mw in the ARRL CW Sweepstakes. Made my goal
        >of 100 Q's.

        I knew you guys across the Atlantic could run a bit more power than here in the UK. But I'm amazed you run 950 megawatts! I'm surprised your house wiring was up to providing the power for such a load. Or did you run it from an industrial location?

        :-)

        Andy
        MM0FMF
      • Sven -DD1LI-
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 11, 2013
          <ironic on>
          950MegaWatt......... only 100Q's ???? was it a short-time Contest for 20Minutes ???
          <ironic off>
          Hey Ed,
          100Q's with below 1Watt... Nice Work !!! what Antenna did you use?? Handgiven cw or Maschine given CW ???

          73's de DD1LI - Sven-

          --
                                German Amateur Radio Station
                                           DD1LI

                     Mitglied der IG Funkamateure in Hilfsorganisationen 80 FF
                               Mitglied des DARC OV Preetz (M11)
                               Member of 30MDG, EPC, DMC, BARTG

                          Take a look at :        www.qsl.net/dd1li
                                                  www.darc.de/m/11

        • Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 11, 2013
            I think Ed was referring to milliwatts (mW) and seeing that the case of the letters are reversed I think on a typo...

            As of International Unit System, units below the unit are in lower case and above the unit is in upper case... at least  I learned in this way on the college...

            Example... meters (m)

            mm, millimeters (1mm = 0.001 m)
            cm, centimeters (1cm = 0.01 m)
            Km, Kilometers (1Km = 1000 m)

            etc...

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 11, 2013
              On 09/11/2013 07:25 AM, Sven -DD1LI- wrote:
              > <ironic on>
              > 950MegaWatt......... only 100Q's ???? was it a short-time Contest for
              > 20Minutes ???
              > <ironic off>

              I should have known to spell it out..hi

              > Hey Ed,
              > 100Q's with below 1Watt... Nice Work !!! what Antenna did you use??
              > Handgiven cw or Maschine given CW ???
              >
              > 73's de DD1LI - Sven-

              Antenna was either a 2 el quad 5 band or my homebrew 30/40 meter
              vertical. I use a Kent single lever paddle and hard to tell what keyer I
              was using, more than likely a G4PKT cmos keyer.

              Ed W3NR
            • Corey
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 13, 2013
                I've not posted the results, but when I run PSK I generally have the output under 5W, unless I'm on 10M, where more punch can get you through the noise.

                > I decided to try psk QRP, 5 watts. Amazing the QSO's you can have at
                > that power level.
                >
                > Anyone up to trying the same and posting your results ?????
                >
                > Several years ago I used 950Mw in the ARRL CW Sweepstakes. Made my goal
                > of 100 Q's.
                >
                > The list has been very quiet that past few weeks, thought this might get
                > some attention.
                >
                > Ed W3NR

              • Holger Schurig
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 15, 2013
                  > Km, Kilometers (1Km = 1000 m)

                  Sorry, that's not true.

                  Kilometer is "km" and Kilogram is "kg" etc. There are also other, less known exceptions to you rule (which isn't any), e.g. deca or hecto.

                  So, if you need to rule to remember that, than any prefix above 10^3 (not including!) is upper-cased.
                • Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 16, 2013
                    Thanks for the tip... I was wrong !!!

                    Mental note: remember to tell this to my former college teacher...

                    73

                    El 15/09/13 13:41, Holger Schurig escribió:
                    > Km, Kilometers (1Km = 1000 m)

                    Sorry, that's not true.

                    Kilometer is "km" and Kilogram is "kg" etc. There are also other, less known exceptions to you rule (which isn't any), e.g. deca or hecto.

                    So, if you need to rule to remember that, than any prefix above 10^3 (not including!) is upper-cased.

                  • tetranz
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 16, 2013

                      I think kilo is a lower case k to avoid confusion with Kelvin.