Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [linuxham] Waterfall freezes up

Expand Messages
  • Ed
    ... You need to be using Pulseaudio and not port. Make sure you install pavucontrol. When you open the Pulse volume control, select the usb audio codec. I have
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 6, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      On 09/06/2013 12:07 PM, Timothy Harper wrote:
      > Every minute or so my waterfall freezes and nothing gets decoded
      > during this time. It may be for 10 second intervals or so. I an
      > running Ubuntu 12.4 and fldigi with a signalink USB. I get a message-
      > port error timeout then it returns to decoding. Any ideas on whats
      > wrong? BTW, my computer has dual operating systems and I do not have
      > a problem when running Windows wihh fldigi and the signalink.Tim
      > W5TAH
      >
      > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android
      >
      >

      You need to be using Pulseaudio and not port. Make sure you install
      pavucontrol. When you open the Pulse volume control, select the usb
      audio codec. I have both the input and output set to 100% with my signalink.

      Turn off system sounds.

      Ed W3NR
    • Dick Kriss
      David, What version of fldigi and what computer OS? I have a TS-590S and I am using fldigi-3.21.75 on an iMac with OS X 10.8.5. One suggestion is to quite
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 7, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        David,

        What version of fldigi and what computer OS?  I have a TS-590S and I am using fldigi-3.21.75 on an iMac with OS X 10.8.5.  

        One suggestion is to quite fldigi, restart your computer and try again.  

        If I had that problem I would reinstall the USB to UART driver from


        Good luck 

        Dick AA5VU




        On Sep 7, 2013, at 4:39 AM, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        Fri Sep 6, 2013 9:53 am (PDT) . Posted by:

        "DAVID KIRKSEY" david_kirksey@...

        I have been having the same problem connected via USB to TS590. But if I disconnect the USB cord and receive via audio (speaker to computer mic) there is no freezing.
         
        David  AFA4DO

      • DAVID KIRKSEY
        Dick, Ed W3NR s instruction to change the audio from Port to Pulseaudio solved my problem with the waterfall freezing. I have been using Fldigi on Windows
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 7, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          Dick,
          Ed W3NR's instruction to change the audio from Port to Pulseaudio solved my problem with the waterfall freezing. I have been using Fldigi on Windows Vista for a couple of years and keep up with the upgrades. I usually trx & rx fldigi using Windows and an ICOM 718. I don't have problems there. I also use it on another computer with Windows 7  with no problems.

           I have loaded Linex Ubuntu onto a external hard drive and Fldigi for Linex for use with the TS590S. I haven't gotten the 590 configured for CAT so I only receive digital on it and until I got the freezing problem resolved I wasn't going any further. I had kept with the latest updates in Fldigi for Linex too but those didn't solve the problem, Ed's idea did.

          There a few people who have websites giving the configuration for the TS590 and about any software. I'm going with the instructions from those who have figured it out and got it to work.

          David 



          From: Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...>
          To: fldigi list <linuxham@yahoogroups.com>
          Sent: Saturday, September 7, 2013 5:50 AM
          Subject: Re: [linuxham] Waterfall freezes up

           
          David,

          What version of fldigi and what computer OS?  I have a TS-590S and I am using fldigi-3.21.75 on an iMac with OS X 10.8.5.  

          One suggestion is to quite fldigi, restart your computer and try again.  

          If I had that problem I would reinstall the USB to UART driver from


          Good luck 

          Dick AA5VU




          On Sep 7, 2013, at 4:39 AM, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          Fri Sep 6, 2013 9:53 am (PDT) . Posted by:

          "DAVID KIRKSEY" david_kirksey@...

          I have been having the same problem connected via USB to TS590. But if I disconnect the USB cord and receive via audio (speaker to computer mic) there is no freezing.
           
          David  AFA4DO



        • Timothy
          I am using version 3.21.68
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 7, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            I am using version 3.21.68


            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...> wrote:
            >
            > David,
            >
            > What version of fldigi and what computer OS? I have a TS-590S and I am using fldigi-3.21.75 on an iMac with OS X 10.8.5.
            >
            > One suggestion is to quite fldigi, restart your computer and try again.
            >
            > If I had that problem I would reinstall the USB to UART driver from
            >
            > http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx
            >
            > Good luck
            >
            > Dick AA5VU
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > On Sep 7, 2013, at 4:39 AM, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:
            >
            > > Re: Waterfall freezes up
            > > Fri Sep 6, 2013 9:53 am (PDT) . Posted by:"DAVID KIRKSEY" david_kirksey@... have been having the same problem connected via USB to TS590. But if I disconnect the USB cord and receive via audio (speaker to computer mic) there is no freezing.
            > >
            > > David AFA4DO
            >
          • g8kbv
            ... Check too, for other processes that kick off during the pause times. I seem to recall something about a serial modem discovery tool that was causing grief
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 8, 2013
            • 0 Attachment
              > On 09/06/2013 12:07 PM, Timothy Harper wrote:
              > > Every minute or so my waterfall freezes and nothing gets decoded
              > > during this time. It may be for 10 second intervals or so. I an
              > > running Ubuntu 12.4 and fldigi with a signalink USB. I get a message-
              > > port error timeout then it returns to decoding. Any ideas on whats
              > > wrong? BTW, my computer has dual operating systems and I do not have
              > > a problem when running Windows wihh fldigi and the signalink.Tim
              > > W5TAH
              > >
              > > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android
              > >
              > >
              >
              > You need to be using Pulseaudio and not port. Make sure you install
              > pavucontrol. When you open the Pulse volume control, select the usb
              > audio codec. I have both the input and output set to 100% with my signalink.
              >
              > Turn off system sounds.
              >
              > Ed W3NR

              Check too, for other processes that kick off during the pause times. I seem to
              recall something about a serial modem discovery tool that was causing grief for
              many causing that behaviour a while back.

              I never had good success with Pulse Audio on "Ubuntu", it always started to stall
              and stutter after some 5 minutes of use, and was very much worse with USB
              attached sound devices (Pulse would show 99% CPU usage in TOP's display
              during those 'stall' times.)

              I gave up and went to Lubuntu that doesn't have Pulse by default and that until
              a few days ago, used to * work fine.

              (* Details in another message thread "Lubuntu + Fldigi soundcard trouble.")

              Regards.

              Dave G0WBX.
            • Dick Kriss
              David, Glad to see you have it running thanks to the W3NR tip. Ed is The Man on fldigi. Dick AA5VU
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 9, 2013
              • 0 Attachment
                David,

                Glad to see you have it running thanks to the W3NR tip.  Ed is The Man on fldigi. 

                Dick AA5VU

                On Sep 8, 2013, at 4:37 AM, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                Sat Sep 7, 2013 10:05 am (PDT) . Posted by:

                "DAVID KIRKSEY" david_kirksey@...

                Dick,
                Ed W3NR's instruction to change the audio from Port to Pulseaudio solved my problem with the waterfall freezing.

              • Bill Turner, WB4ALM
                ... Ed, My system is a multi-purpose multi-user system. As such I cannot conveniently turn off all other system sounds. I currently have multiple sound cards
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 9, 2013
                • 0 Attachment


                  You need to be using Pulseaudio and not port. Make sure you install
                  pavucontrol. When you open the Pulse volume control, select the usb
                  audio codec. I have both the input and output set to 100% with my signalink.

                  Turn off system sounds.

                  Ed W3NR



                  Ed, My system is a multi-purpose multi-user system. As such I cannot conveniently turn off all "other" system sounds.

                  I currently have multiple sound cards installed for multiple uses.  Up until about a month ago my configuration worked exceedingly well.

                  Pulse audio was configured to keep "hands off" of the signalink usb, which is the only device being controlled by portaudio.

                  As of about 1-month ago, I now experience FLDIGI hang-ups that will last for 10-15 seconds and then the system returns to normal.  While I have a lot of computer experience, my knowledge of Linux is minimal.  So far, I have not been able to determine the reason for the "slow down", as no new tasks seem to be starting.


                  Do you have any suggestions on how to configure pulseaudio in a manner that allows the Signalink to run independent of anything else that might be occuring in pulseaudio?

                  /s/ Bill Turner, wb4alm


                • w1hkj
                  ... Either use PortAudio or PulseAudio, but do not mix the two. I have multiple sound card devices on my Linux systems. PulseAudio handles them all quite
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 9, 2013
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On 09/09/2013 07:36 PM, Bill Turner, WB4ALM wrote:
                     



                    You need to be using Pulseaudio and not port. Make sure you install
                    pavucontrol. When you open the Pulse volume control, select the usb
                    audio codec. I have both the input and output set to 100% with my signalink.

                    Turn off system sounds.

                    Ed W3NR



                    Ed, My system is a multi-purpose multi-user system. As such I cannot conveniently turn off all "other" system sounds.

                    I currently have multiple sound cards installed for multiple uses.  Up until about a month ago my configuration worked exceedingly well.

                    Pulse audio was configured to keep "hands off" of the signalink usb, which is the only device being controlled by portaudio.

                    As of about 1-month ago, I now experience FLDIGI hang-ups that will last for 10-15 seconds and then the system returns to normal.  While I have a lot of computer experience, my knowledge of Linux is minimal.  So far, I have not been able to determine the reason for the "slow down", as no new tasks seem to be starting.


                    Do you have any suggestions on how to configure pulseaudio in a manner that allows the Signalink to run independent of anything else that might be occuring in pulseaudio?

                    /s/ Bill Turner, wb4alm

                    Either use PortAudio or PulseAudio, but do not mix the two.  I have multiple sound card devices on my Linux systems.  PulseAudio handles them all quite nicely.  It acts as a h/w <-> application interface layer and also as a virtual audio cable in that you can assign each codec to one or more applications individually by input and output.  Further each codec to application link is maintained with separate mixer levels.  That allows you to completely separate your SignaLink-USB from all of the "system sounds", including audio for entertainment, web browsing etc.

                    Dave
                  • Ed
                    ... Make sure that modem manager is not installed, as well as bluez-alsa and brltty. Pulse remembers the settings for each instance. In other words, it
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 9, 2013
                    • 0 Attachment
                      On 09/09/2013 08:36 PM, Bill Turner, WB4ALM wrote:

                      >
                      > Ed, My system is a multi-purpose multi-user system. As such I cannot
                      > conveniently turn off all "other" system sounds.
                      >
                      > I currently have multiple sound cards installed for multiple uses. Up
                      > until about a month ago my configuration worked exceedingly well.
                      >
                      > Pulse audio was configured to keep "hands off" of the signalink usb,
                      > which is the only device being controlled by portaudio.
                      >
                      > As of about 1-month ago, I now experience FLDIGI hang-ups that will last
                      > for 10-15 seconds and then the system returns to normal. While I have a
                      > lot of computer experience, my knowledge of Linux is minimal. So far, I
                      > have not been able to determine the reason for the "slow down", as no
                      > new tasks seem to be starting.
                      >
                      >
                      > Do you have any suggestions on how to configure pulseaudio in a manner
                      > that allows the Signalink to run independent of anything else that might
                      > be occuring in pulseaudio?
                      >
                      > /s/ Bill Turner, wb4alm

                      Make sure that modem manager is not installed, as well as bluez-alsa and
                      brltty.

                      Pulse remembers the settings for each instance. In other words, it
                      remembers the device and settings for the signalink. It also does the
                      same for other audio, say for instance your web browser audio settings.

                      In my case Pulse remembers the device and settings for my signalink,
                      which is all together different for my browser audio. I can be using
                      fldigi and also listen to web audio at the same time. Not something you
                      would normally do and something I do not do, but could if I wanted to.

                      My system is a single user, single purpose, but I would think that each
                      user could configure the audio for what they want. I may be wrong and
                      hopefully someone will chime in on this.

                      A big help would be to go here::

                      http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/

                      Ed W3NR

                      To see what all is running open a terminal and enter "top"
                    • Bill Turner, WB4ALM
                      ... Dave, thank you for the information. I hate to impose, but can you point me to a reference on how to specify signalink-usb to be a separate channel? It
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 10, 2013
                      • 0 Attachment
                        On 09/09/2013 09:10 PM, w1hkj wrote:
                         

                        On 09/09/2013 07:36 PM, Bill Turner, WB4ALM wrote:
                         



                        You need to be using Pulseaudio and not port. Make sure you install
                        pavucontrol. When you open the Pulse volume control, select the usb
                        audio codec. I have both the input and output set to 100% with my signalink.

                        Turn off system sounds.

                        Ed W3NR



                        Ed, My system is a multi-purpose multi-user system. As such I cannot conveniently turn off all "other" system sounds.

                        I currently have multiple sound cards installed for multiple uses.  Up until about a month ago my configuration worked exceedingly well.

                        Pulse audio was configured to keep "hands off" of the signalink usb, which is the only device being controlled by portaudio.

                        As of about 1-month ago, I now experience FLDIGI hang-ups that will last for 10-15 seconds and then the system returns to normal.  While I have a lot of computer experience, my knowledge of Linux is minimal.  So far, I have not been able to determine the reason for the "slow down", as no new tasks seem to be starting.


                        Do you have any suggestions on how to configure pulseaudio in a manner that allows the Signalink to run independent of anything else that might be occuring in pulseaudio?

                        /s/ Bill Turner, wb4alm

                        Either use PortAudio or PulseAudio, but do not mix the two.  I have multiple sound card devices on my Linux systems.  PulseAudio handles them all quite nicely.  It acts as a h/w <-> application interface layer and also as a virtual audio cable in that you can assign each codec to one or more applications individually by input and output.  Further each codec to application link is maintained with separate mixer levels.  That allows you to completely separate your SignaLink-USB from all of the "system sounds", including audio for entertainment, web browsing etc.

                        Dave
                        Dave, thank you for the information.

                        I hate to impose, but can you point me to a reference on how to specify signalink-usb to be a separate channel?  It sounds like you are doing exactly what I want to do.

                        thanks.

                        /s/ Bill Turner, wb4alm
                      • Geoff McAlpin
                        On Sep 10, 2013 5:19 AM, Ed wrote: ~ SNIP ~ ... Well, I just learned something new today. Thnx for that, Ed :) Geoff McAlpin, NW7GM (ex
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 10, 2013
                        • 0 Attachment

                          On Sep 10, 2013 5:19 AM, "Ed" <autek@...> wrote:

                          ~ SNIP ~

                          >
                          > To see what all is running open a terminal and enter "top"
                          >

                          Well, I just learned something new today. Thnx for that, Ed :)


                          Geoff McAlpin, NW7GM (ex N7PGN)
                          Seattle, WA
                          CN87tr

                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.