Beagle Bone Black

  • cahewson2003
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 19, 2013
      Hi All,

      Any have experience with these? Seems at first look like it may make compact station control for portable use.

      Al,
      WA7UJR
    • L.T. Easterly
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 19, 2013
        Hi Al;

        I've struggled with mine; I can't get it to boot to the onboard nor sdcard OS consistently, even with successful flashing of debian to the onboard mmc.

        My chief aim was to use as a companion OS to act as small form factor networked "server" for my SDR-IQ. I was able to get the software compiled just fine but the inability of the device to boot/reboot consistently without without a struggle, left me looking for another device. Also it still seemed that audio processing struggled under the demands of sdr-widget, but that's on me, it may have been too ambitious to ask it to do that much.

        I've moved on to a slightly more expensive but beefier Odroid-u2 and will try to run the sdr-widget server on that, as soon as my power supply arrives.

        It may have been just my unique BB Black device, but the lack of documentation or troubleshooting for this inconsistent rebooting issue left me not wanting to wrestle with it further.

        For FLDigi and many lighter weight applications, it may still be viable, this was just my experience.

        L. Easterly
      • qrv@kd4e.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 19, 2013
          There's a beaglebone-black discussion list here:
          groups.yahoo.com/group/beagleboneblack/

          Life has been crazy here so I haven't done a thing with mine yet, but
          lots of people have ...

          I thought I read that some had used an outboard USB audio dongle.

          David

          --

          Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

          David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

          Search with: duckduckgo.com

        • garrett_brass
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 23, 2013
            Has anyone managed to run fldigi on a Beagle Bone Black?  I'd like to install one in my ARES Go-Box.
          • qrv@kd4e.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 23, 2013
              I've been wanting to but the tyranny of the urgent keeps
              capturing my time ...

              --

              Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

              David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

              Search with: duckduckgo.com

            • bernhardwolf
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 5, 2014
                I know this is kind of a late reply, but yes, fldigi on the Beaglebone Black is an outstanding combination. I installed it on the Beaglebone under Debian with a Signalink USB interface. This works well and without any issues, the setup is straightforward. you can add a cheap wireless USB keyboard and the equally cheap monitor for a backup camera system. Everything together costs about 180$ including the Signalink USB and would fit very well in an ARES box, I am not really involved in EMCOMM, but I use this setup for digital mobile with good success. I wrote a brief Howto on my blog page at bernhardwolf.net I am very happy with the setup, it seems to work better than my laptop due to less noise/EMI. I also got this to work
                with the Raspberry Pi, but the Beaglebone is definitely better at decoding.
                73, Bernhard KE5AKG

              • qrv@kd4e.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 5, 2014
                  That is a very encouraging blog post.

                  What digi modes are you operating mobile?

                  David

                  --

                  David (NOT Dave) Colburn, KD4E - Nevils, Georgia USA

                  Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com

                • qrv@kd4e.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 5, 2014
                    Bernhard,

                    What about using it with an Icom IC-7200 or other rig with a
                    USB port for direct PC connection?

                    David

                    --

                    David (NOT Dave) Colburn, KD4E - Nevils, Georgia USA

                    Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com

                  • Bernhard Wolf
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 6, 2014
                      I have not tried it with any other rigs save for the TS-2000 and the Yaesu FT-897, it works well on both of those. In principle it should work for any rig, except that you will have to connect through a USB-hub if you use the Beaglebone with a direct-to-computer USB connection. This might bring connectivity issues just as with a WiFi dongle( the WiFi problem is that with some dongles the connection keeps freezing after a few minutes). Since the exact cause for this problem is not known-it seems to depend on the model of WiFi-dongle used-, it is impossible to know whether you will have similar issues with your USB rig connection unless you actually try.The USB hub has no problems for me with the Signalink USB, which is encouraging.
                      I operate all digital modes, but mostly psk (where most of the action is), RTTY (I don't like it and it is imo obsolete, but the only way for some DX), and JT-65HF, plus some Hell. I really wished fldigi had JT-65. WSJT does not seem to run on a lot of distros and machines, so I use JT-65 HF under wine. This works great on 64 machines, but is not an option with ARM, at least not yet.

                      73, Bernhard

                      http://linux-bernhardwolf.rhcloud.com

                      On Sun, 1/5/14, qrv@... <qrv@...> wrote:

                      Subject: [linuxham] Re: Beagle Bone Black
                      To: linuxham@yahoogroups.com
                      Cc: beagleboneblack@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Sunday, January 5, 2014, 8:07 PM

                      --

                      David (NOT Dave) Colburn, KD4E - Nevils, Georgia USA

                      Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com

                    • N2CKH
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 7, 2014
                        Hi Bernard,

                        I had actually come across your comparison between the Rpi and BBB
                        regarding running FLdigi just recently at:
                        http://linux-bernhardwolf.rhcloud.com/?p=225

                        I found your comments to be excellent and re-enforce my belief that
                        the BBB will make for an excellent 2G ALE embedded modem/controller
                        platform for the 2G ALE 125 baud symbol rate. However I am not so
                        sure regarding its suitability for 3G ALE or MIL-STD data modem
                        waveforms which are mostly 2400 baud symbol rate waveforms and CPU
                        hogs as the BBB has no on-board DSP processor to utilize.

                        I have just recently began working in Linux to get familiar with the
                        tools and processes for software development and as soon as I have a
                        high symbol rate modem working on x86 and get setup for BBB
                        development I will make a port to determine the BBB suitability for
                        1200 and 2400 baud symbol rates.

                        /s/ Steve, N2CKH

                        At 03:03 PM 1/6/2014, you wrote:

                        >I have not tried it with any other rigs save for the TS-2000 and the
                        >Yaesu FT-897, it works well on both of those. In principle it should
                        >work for any rig, except that you will have to connect through a
                        >USB-hub if you use the Beaglebone with a direct-to-computer USB
                        >connection. This might bring connectivity issues just as with a WiFi
                        >dongle( the WiFi problem is that with some dongles the connection
                        >keeps freezing after a few minutes). Since the exact cause for this
                        >problem is not known-it seems to depend on the model of WiFi-dongle
                        >used-, it is impossible to know whether you will have similar issues
                        >with your USB rig connection unless you actually try.The USB hub has
                        >no problems for me with the Signalink USB, which is encouraging.
                        >I operate all digital modes, but mostly psk (where most of the
                        >action is), RTTY (I don't like it and it is imo obsolete, but the
                        >only way for some DX), and JT-65HF, plus some Hell. I really wished
                        >fldigi had JT-65. WSJT does not seem to run on a lot of distros and
                        >machines, so I use JT-65 HF under wine. This works great on 64
                        >machines, but is not an option with ARM, at least not yet.
                        >
                        >73, Bernhard
                        >
                        >http://linux-bernhardwolf.rhcloud.com
                      • Iain Young, G7III
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 7, 2014
                          On 07/01/14 21:31, N2CKH wrote:

                          > I found your comments to be excellent and re-enforce my belief that
                          > the BBB will make for an excellent 2G ALE embedded modem/controller
                          > platform for the 2G ALE 125 baud symbol rate. However I am not so
                          > sure regarding its suitability for 3G ALE or MIL-STD data modem
                          > waveforms which are mostly 2400 baud symbol rate waveforms and CPU
                          > hogs as the BBB has no on-board DSP processor to utilize.

                          I'd say try it and see. I know I was amazed to be able to get 250kHz
                          b/w from my USRP to a Pi...

                          > I have just recently began working in Linux to get familiar with the
                          > tools and processes for software development and as soon as I have a
                          > high symbol rate modem working on x86 and get setup for BBB
                          > development I will make a port to determine the BBB suitability for
                          > 1200 and 2400 baud symbol rates.

                          Now I'm interested. Are you saying we will finally have ALE on Linux
                          natively ?

                          I have a fleet of Beaglebone Whites, and a fleet of Blacks on order
                          for some time-nuttery, GPS, LORAN, MSF/DCF, etc etc timing experiments,
                          including possibly transmitting a time signal, so may have hardware
                          available for testing code

                          73s

                          Iain